PDA

View Full Version : obd bluetooth thingy

grimmy
23-10-12, 07:47 PM
I remember there being a discussion on these that use the phone app has anybody got one and if so is it recommended and if so which one and how much?

Nobrainer
23-10-12, 07:53 PM
http://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=22866

WalkerDnB
23-10-12, 07:53 PM
This thread?http://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=22866

I used Bluetooth OBDII OBD2 Diagnostic Scanner, Scan tool check Engine Light CAR CODE READER for ELM327 (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004KL0I9I/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00) for £10 I cant complain :)

Edit: DAM I was beaten to it! lol

Nobrainer
23-10-12, 07:56 PM
:p

KirkJames
23-10-12, 08:17 PM
You have to get a decent bluetooth adapter so it can transfer the data at the correct rate. Don't just get a cheapy one :)

Ritchy
23-10-12, 08:17 PM
it reads codes adshows live data, couldnt ask for much more really

grimmy
23-10-12, 08:20 PM
You have to get a decent bluetooth adapter so it can transfer the data at the correct rate. Don't just get a cheapy one :)
Doesn't your phone read from it?

WalkerDnB
23-10-12, 08:24 PM

yeah mine updates every half a second so it can be a little annoying it depends what you going use it for really. if you want something permanent then buy a scangauge
for £10 its not the end of the world if you end up buying a better one

Huffy
23-10-12, 09:45 PM
I use the toque app on my galaxy note, the adapter is of eBay cost 19.99.... Works a treat! It's best when used with GPS as it maps your journeys shows you speeds and consumption, when you at optimum temp, air intake temps, etc etc.... You just need to be lucky getting a cheep dongle, it's far more versatile than the scan gauge and far less obtrusive. I love the new video option, it's like an Indiana jone style effect overlaying your HUD! :d just make sure you set it up.... Give yourself time to tune it to your car.

KirkJames
24-10-12, 06:25 AM
Doesn't your phone read from it?

Yeah but I am on about the bluetooth adapter you need to stick in to your obd port, can't stick ya phone in there ;)

I use the toque app on my galaxy note, the adapter is of eBay cost 19.99.... Works a treat! It's best when used with GPS as it maps your journeys shows you speeds and consumption, when you at optimum temp, air intake temps, etc etc.... You just need to be lucky getting a cheep dongle, it's far more versatile than the scan gauge and far less obtrusive. I love the new video option, it's like an Indiana jone style effect overlaying your HUD! :d just make sure you set it up.... Give yourself time to tune it to your car.

That's good to know as I have the Samsung TV, also known as the 'Galaxy Note' ;)

jorj
24-10-12, 07:33 AM
I got a cheap one from eBay and works great. I bought the torque pro as the lite version doesn't allow boost gauge to work, the pro version has so much more though, well worth the £3 I paid for it, does anyone know if iPhones can get the app?

Maxxed_Ross
24-10-12, 08:04 AM
I'll need to look into one of these, sounds like a nice bit of kit

Anyone know if there is one out there that works with Landrover software? I tried plugging the Scangauge into my Defender and it wouldn't work. A bloke on the Defender forum said the software is a bit different

KevG
24-10-12, 09:03 AM
I'll need to look into one of these, sounds like a nice bit of kit

Anyone know if there is one out there that works with Landrover software? I tried plugging the Scangauge into my Defender and it wouldn't work. A bloke on the Defender forum said the software is a bit different

Might just be the OBD2 port is wired different.

grimmy
24-10-12, 11:06 AM
[QUOTE=KirkJames;278787]Yeah but I am on about the bluetooth adapter you need to stick in to your obd port, can't stick ya phone in there ;)
Yes the thing I originally asked about until your confusing post.
I now know what I am after now.

Maxxed_Ross
24-10-12, 11:09 AM
Might just be the OBD2 port is wired different.

possibly. The Scangauge turns on but just it's on the "connecting...." screen :nugget:

duncs
24-10-12, 11:58 AM
I got a cheap one from eBay and works great. I bought the torque pro as the lite version doesn't allow boost gauge to work, the pro version has so much more though, well worth the £3 I paid for it, does anyone know if iPhones can get the app?

There is a similar app for the iphone but its not torque, it's called DashCommand - only downside being it costs £35 instead of £3 on Android!

I think you'd also need a wifi dongle for it to work due to how Apple stop you connecting non-Apple kit to the iphone.

I use one of these (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110761891151?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649) with Torque and it works fine :)

Maxxed_Ross
24-10-12, 02:27 PM
and remind me why these apple things are so popular again? lol

skyblueads
24-10-12, 02:33 PM
I bought a £20 OBDII bluetooth sender from eBay and use the Torque app - works a treat :thumbsup: I used to have a scanguage and found the biggest problem was having somewhere to mount it in the ZS and make it look OE.

grimmy
27-10-12, 12:17 PM
So my Bluetooth dongle arrived today and downloaded the torque app.this is easily the best 13 quid ish I have ever spent cracking wee bit of kit and the app is superb.only problem is I seem to be an o2 sensor down dammit.

welshone
27-10-12, 12:21 PM
Had mine of for a while now with no problems, it's a great little thing :)

KirkJames
27-10-12, 12:23 PM
Yes the thing I originally asked about until your confusing post.
I now know what I am after now.

You'll have to forgive me, I was on nights, must of been not thinking clearly. I confuse myself a lot quite easily ;)

grimmy
27-10-12, 12:28 PM
You'll have to forgive me, I was on nights, must of been not thinking clearly. I confuse myself a lot quite easily ;)

And I am easily confused in all honesty.