PDA

View Full Version : For the mechanics..

Captain Peanut
25-10-12, 07:43 AM
I seem to be asked on a more regular basis to help with friends cars, either servicing or just general tinkering, as they know I enjoy doing it.

To my surprise the other half suggested looking at doing a bit more at weekends as an earner on the side. Obviously friends know that I am capable enough but in order to work on other peoples cars I assume I'm going to need something to prove that.

Before getting ahead of myself I wanted to see if anyone knew what qualifications were available and/or recommended to make myself more marketable. I've checked my local colleges and all seem to offer either apprenticeships or full time City and Guilds diplomas. I guess that to most experience probably carries more weight but are recommendations enough to get by on?

Ritchy
25-10-12, 09:25 AM
At the moment no you dont need any qualifications

Jay-ZS+
25-10-12, 09:50 AM
Id be more worried about why the missus wants you out the way at weekends! lol

fastmike
25-10-12, 09:50 AM
If you can get away with it , good luck to you .......Just be prepared for when it all goes Pete Tong

big_wasa
25-10-12, 09:57 AM
I had a quick look into this with more of an aim to rewiring sports cars. Throttle body and ecu conversions ect.

Ive done a few for local guy's including a guy that works for Radical building Busa engines. I even got offered work by a local engine builder and the first car was Itb's and ecu install on a v8 lotus.

If your doing it at your own place then you really are going to want some third party insurance. Its then I started to find it not worth the bother.

You get asked now because your labour is cheap/free, Thats why I get asked and so many places are beyond useless or just disshonest claiming you need work you dont.

Enright
25-10-12, 11:05 AM
...so many places are beyond useless or just disshonest claiming you need work you dont.

Like the FB on Watchdog last night - worth seeing if you can catch on iPlayer just so you be amazed at how far everyone else has come in the last 30+ years compared to him!

talkingcars
25-10-12, 05:35 PM
As Richy says you currently don't need a formally qualification to work in the motor trade but I'm sure it will come, you have to have a qualification to work on your own domestic plumbing.

Have far are you willing to travel? Central Sussex College in Crawley offer short, normally 1 day, course every so often. I'm sure they sometimes do longer part time course in the evenings.

Ritchy
25-10-12, 05:44 PM
College can be a bit hit and miss, one apprentice at work had done a college course effectivly saying he was qualified, first day he tried putting fiscs on back to front. Id buy a hilliers fundamebtal of motor vehicles, read and understanf it then try get some practical experience. Dont try taking anything on too complicated to start with .
As said its all well and good till something goes horribly wrong, get a decent toolkit and torque wrench before you tinker too far.

big_wasa
25-10-12, 06:04 PM
Like the FB on Watchdog last night - worth seeing if you can catch on iPlayer just so you be amazed at how far everyone else has come in the last 30+ years compared to him!

There are plenty of big companys that are just as bad, ever tried quick fit ?

talkingcars
25-10-12, 06:07 PM
There are plenty of big companys that are just as bad, ever tried quick fit ?

Kwickfit?
Owned by Ford - enough said!

big_wasa
25-10-12, 06:20 PM
yes spelt wrong for a reason lol but I didnt know it was owned by ford.