PDA

View Full Version : 180 battery replacement and a question too?

kev mocko
27-10-12, 10:22 PM
Hi folks as i have my mk1 on classic insurance its limited too 3000 miles a year,Which is good as i work long hours for work 50hrs a week maybe more depending with a company car,So sadly my zs hardly gets used but im not selling it just for work commitments,Now the cold weather and winter is here my battery has already gave up the ghost,

So firstly can anyone recommend where is best to try for a new one as the cheapest ive been quoted so far is £60,new is this a good price?.Also it sits under a breathable car cover when its parked up so its protected from the rain quite a bit but im worried will the engine freeze over it not turned over enough? Ive also thrown a really thick wool cover over the engine when im not using it,Will this do the engine any favours or not really make a difference,? The car probs gets used twice a week. Just thought id ask on here as ive had good advice from the members on here before,

cheers folks kev:)

Sonic_160zr
27-10-12, 10:44 PM
£60 isnt bad for a battery for the ZS to be honest, I paid £80 for a new one.

As for the other question, As long as the coolant mix is correct 50% OAT coolant and 50% water you shouldnt have any issues with the engine freezing up, I would be more concerned about things like brakes and tyre pressures if the car isnt being used for long periods of time.

Just make sure the car is run a couple of times a week and you should be fine, I only use my ZS now and again as I have a ZR as my daily driver, the ZS can be left for weeks without major issues.

Cheers,
Matt

Nobrainer
28-10-12, 07:21 AM
http://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=23020
Just replaced mine. The above battery fits and is decent and cheap with the discount.

big_wasa
28-10-12, 07:54 AM
when you get the new batery also get a charger to maintain it. I got a cheap one from aldi and leave it on my kitcar all year around.

Nobrainer
28-10-12, 09:03 AM
There are now solar chargers that are supposed to be quite good. Sit in the window and have constant trickle charge as long as its daylight

stamford
28-10-12, 09:06 AM
Are you able to run a charger to it? I have a maintenance mode charger that can be left on and it trickles it and won't overcharge when battery is fully charged.

kev mocko
28-10-12, 10:58 AM
I could possibly run one to it with an extension lead,otherwise im thinking my best bet is to take the battery off the car when im not using it or would this create more problems for the electrics?

Maxxed_Ross
28-10-12, 04:39 PM
I dunno how much truth there is in this, but I've heard that leaving the battery out of a car for long periods can lead to a load of issues - mostly rust related. Something to do with the negative earth being removed

stamford
28-10-12, 05:47 PM
Removing the battery will void your insurance as you have removed the alarm system in effect.

KirkJames
28-10-12, 06:50 PM
Also don't forget to take off the cover over the engine or you might have some issues :p

kev mocko
28-10-12, 11:12 PM
I was thinking that too,il buy a trickle charger for the new battery when i get paid this week,missing driving it already, been stuck with a 62 reg corsa 1.4 all weekend,what a load of crap urgh,glad its not my own car and shocking on fuel too for a 1.4.