PDA

View Full Version : space saver wheel.

Adamzs180
29-10-12, 01:03 PM
Why did no one ever think to check if the space saver wheel would fit over front discs on a 180.
1 dark night, 1 b road blast, 1 shredded front tyre, i jack the car up get the spare out put it on go to set off and the wheel wont turn. a bit of head scratching later and the cars jacked up again space saver off flat back on. drop the jack, jack up the rear remove back wheel and put space saver on, jack down, back to front jack up remove flat and put decent rear on the front. Finally 15mins after i should be back on the road. so lesson learned and the space saver is gone in place of a decent 17" alloy. also as one 11 spoke was off and looking tatty the other 3 came off and are on their way to a local refurb company for a full fix up and anthracite respray, so a quick scan on ebay revealled some very subtle Orange17" tsw alloys. perfect for winter wheels.

petet16
29-10-12, 01:11 PM
It's not a matter of no one checking, space savers aren't supposed to be used on front wheels, the same applies to all cars.

Adamzs180
29-10-12, 01:24 PM
ah well my stupidity then. still dont see the point of a wheel that isnt universal.

petet16
29-10-12, 01:29 PM
I agree, space savers are a supposedly clever idea thought up by manufacturers to save weight and space, I don't think the owner with a flat tyre came into their thinking.

POMPSKI
29-10-12, 01:36 PM
Does a straight fit in the spare wheel hold?

petet16
29-10-12, 01:44 PM
Does a straight fit in the spare wheel hold?

Not sure, I got a couple of 6x15 steelies to use as spares, they just fit over the front brakes.

zsserbia
29-10-12, 01:52 PM
So it needs to be smaller when packed and a lot bigger when you need to use it? hmmm :hmmm:

Maxxed_Ross
29-10-12, 02:24 PM
this has been covered many times before. The space saver is only supposed to get you to the nearest garage instead of being stranded.

And a straight won't fit in the boot, a few of us have tried and it's too tall

Ritchy
29-10-12, 02:44 PM
I dont see the problem with space savers, more boot space and lighter

Adamzs180
29-10-12, 03:30 PM
the space where the space saver should go now holds a piece of perspex and i just put the alloy in the boot not pretty but at least if i get another front flat its a 5min fix.

Ritchy
29-10-12, 05:26 PM
When i dunted my suspension and the wheel went out of line the space saver was all that would fit because the full size was rubbing off the shock. Saved me a recovery trip home and a wait in the middle of the night in the freezing cold:)

KevG
30-10-12, 07:12 PM
It is documented in the user manual that if a puncture occurs, you:-

IF A FRONT WHEEL

Get the jack out
jack car at rear
remove rear wheel
replace rear wheel with space saver
let car down
postion jack at front of car
jack car up
remove punctured wheel
replace with wheel that was on the rear
let car down
place punctured wheel in boot

In truth though, it is a huge hassle, but a space saver should NEVER be put on the front, ALWAYS the rear.

daytona365
30-10-12, 07:41 PM
I dont see the problem with space savers, more boot space and lighter
Against is hard to fit, and you cant drive more than 45mph and you look a plonker.......................

The ZS boot is big enough anyway :thumbsup:

Adamzs180
31-10-12, 05:23 PM
just wondered how much weight and space is saved by having a "wheel barrow" wheel instead of a standard 6 x 15" steel or alloy rim.

Ritchy
31-10-12, 05:36 PM
they are pretty light