PDA

View Full Version : Right lads! Yay or nay?

Chaz
01-11-12, 12:13 PM
Found this..

Seriously thinking about going to look at this this weekend..

http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/mg-2005-zstd-115-red-5-door-hatchback-leathers-cheapest-around/1002329417

What do you think?

MK2 ZS Derv, with 180 kit and 11 spokes!

Yay or Nay? :hmmm:

Bit high mileage but then again my ZR is 173K and it doesnt really bother me..

I reckon that with a saloon extreme spoiler would look awesome!

Sort the back bumper, get some black leathers in there, some motobuild springs, spray the 11 spokes white..

:unsure:

POMPSKI
01-11-12, 12:17 PM
May be high mileage but that is a bargain for a derv! Looks in great condition too, Id see it.

Given your car knowledge high mileage shouldnt be too much of a factor for you.

Have you read the buyers guide for the Derv?

stamford
01-11-12, 12:19 PM
Worth checking out at that price, what have you got to lose?

petet16
01-11-12, 12:20 PM
Looks pretty good tbh, if you aren't put off by the captain Kirk mileage, got to be worth a look imo

Chaz
01-11-12, 12:23 PM
Iv offered to go look Saturday with the intention of buying for £900..

Its gotta be worth £900 surely??

I know the L-series inside out and iv got a complete spare engine, gearbox, fuel pump all with 130K on them..

If anything went wrong, id just swap the lot in a weekend..

What colour is that by the way? Is it night fire red or night frost red or whatever it is??

ZS
01-11-12, 12:27 PM
Isn't that firefrost? I would be tempted to get that at that price! gotta be worth it even if it needs a wee bit of work.

Chaz
01-11-12, 12:30 PM
^^ Thats the one firefrost lol, couldnt remember the name..

Lovely colour...

I think I could be fetching it Saturday to be honest.. :)

POMPSKI
01-11-12, 12:33 PM
Hope so, looks a beaut

WXM Matty
01-11-12, 12:34 PM
Found this..

Seriously thinking about going to look at this this weekend..

http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/mg-2005-zstd-115-red-5-door-hatchback-leathers-cheapest-around/1002329417

I reckon that with a saloon extreme spoiler would look awesome!

Sort the back bumper, get some black leathers in there, some motobuild springs, spray the 11 spokes white..

:unsure:

I think that would look good on a firefrost :shifty:

sh4ggyd00
01-11-12, 12:36 PM
cus its not yellow its definatly worth a look :whistle: lol

Chaz
01-11-12, 12:38 PM
I think that would look good on a firefrost :shifty:

Haha, just seen your sig!

Skillen
01-11-12, 01:02 PM
That's a bargain for a diesel! Let alone a mk2 with the full kit and 11spokes! Even if it's just a look it's worth it, and a little knowledge of the diesel and what may need done at that high mileage may give you some haggling ground!

zsserbia
01-11-12, 01:27 PM
Yay.

Enright
01-11-12, 02:03 PM
Told you it was do-able! Looks decent - just needs some front fogs, maybe some Monaco seat covers, and a bit of a tidy-up. Good find!

peterzs
01-11-12, 02:08 PM
Bargain I reckon, a test drive is a must, just to make sure clutch, turbo are all up and pulling.

Sounds like you know the L series, MAF sensor probs etc, rattly gear change, might be bargaining points.

Good luck with it, pity its not YELLOW, but thats the second colour I would have gone for!!!

:wizard::wizard::wizard: ;););)

Smokey
01-11-12, 04:52 PM
Look s a good buy if the engine is sound. That mileage in 8 years...got to be motorway ones!?

Chaz
01-11-12, 07:54 PM
Iv bought the ZS..

Managed to get it for £900.. with full MOT and he's putting 6 months tax on it tomorrow :)

Spot on!

Been talking to him about it, its just gone through MOT cost him £140, had a recent service, cambelts 2K ago, new coolant, new sump gasket (had oil leak), it does need tyres but iv got a set of 205/45/17's on my ZR so thats not a problem..

Im picking it up Saturday dinnertime :)

Yeah he said most of the miles have been motorway miles also so thats always a good thing!

stamford
01-11-12, 08:07 PM
Nice one, right bargin.

Maxfly
01-11-12, 08:33 PM
excellent looks to be a great buy and a bargain too. Look forward to seeing how you progress wi it:D

Skillen
01-11-12, 09:08 PM
Iv bought the ZS..

Managed to get it for £900.. with full MOT and he's putting 6 months tax on it tomorrow :)

Spot on!

Been talking to him about it, its just gone through MOT cost him £140, had a recent service, cambelts 2K ago, new coolant, new sump gasket (had oil leak), it does need tyres but iv got a set of 205/45/17's on my ZR so thats not a problem..

Im picking it up Saturday dinnertime :)

Yeah he said most of the miles have been motorway miles also so thats always a good thing!

Absolutely brilliant buy! I thought my 180 was a bargain but that is brilliant! Mk2 looks goodin that colour!

peterzs
01-11-12, 09:23 PM
Good to see another Mk2 Derv, well done.

:beer2::beer2::beer2:

petet16
01-11-12, 09:23 PM
Well bought.

Dave
01-11-12, 09:28 PM
Looks lovely mate, great colour.

Swapped the ecu/injectors yet!!!! :p

Cheers
Dave

andys1981
01-11-12, 10:24 PM
nice buy mate,bargain at that price

Enright
02-11-12, 08:21 AM
You lucky bu**er - what a steal!
Daft NOT to buy it at that price - on a forecourt it would have been twice as much.
It must surely leave plenty in the piggybank for upgrades too. The progress will be interesting to watch...

Chaz
02-11-12, 11:33 AM
Looks lovely mate, great colour.

Swapped the ecu/injectors yet!!!! :p

Cheers
Dave

Injectors will be going in shortly along with new MAF but its the 115 so its flat at 3K RPM!

Also, being MK2 I cant put my ZR ECU on it! :(

Well I can but I want to keep it MK2 so I can use my code reader :lol:

And being Pekron I dont think you can even fit a MK1 ECU set on it anyway can you??

Il have to have a work with Matt see if he can swap my maps over or something :unsure:

Chaz
02-11-12, 11:34 AM
You lucky bu**er - what a steal!
Daft NOT to buy it at that price - on a forecourt it would have been twice as much.
It must surely leave plenty in the piggybank for upgrades too. The progress will be interesting to watch...

Iv got big plans mate, when I get it washed and cleaned up il take some pictures and make a progress thread :)

But yeah got plenty of spare pennies for modding now :)

Iv seen a BRM I want though, my mates selling it and he only wants £700 for it, so might have to have that also! :laugh:

petet16
02-11-12, 11:54 AM
You're right about mixing Pektron and pre Pektron bits, but it might be possible to swap the maps from the old ecu.

Enright
02-11-12, 12:18 PM
The ECU is coded to the Pektron unit which is behind the heater panel (can't remember if it's called the Body Control Unit or the Body Systems Interface), but you're right - the old one won't work. And if you try it, you'll most likely get an error light on your dash that you can't get rid of, so don't be tempted!
Pete's right too - someone like Reidy's certainly should be able to take a flash reading of your existing ZR map and copy it to the ZS ECU.

Chaz
02-11-12, 12:48 PM
You're right about mixing Pektron and pre Pektron bits, but it might be possible to swap the maps from the old ecu.

Even if I changed the whole set? 5as and everything it still wouldnt work?

The ECU is coded to the Pektron unit which is behind the heater panel (can't remember if it's called the Body Control Unit or the Body Systems Interface), but you're right - the old one won't work. And if you try it, you'll most likely get an error light on your dash that you can't get rid of, so don't be tempted!
Pete's right too - someone like Reidy's certainly should be able to take a flash reading of your existing ZR map and copy it to the ZS ECU.

Yeah its called the BCU..

Matt Reidy was the one who mapped my ZR on his rolling road, I might have a work see if he will switch the maps over and tweak the ZS on the rollers for me :p

Means driving down to Somerset again though.. 470 miles round tip, 5 hours each way, wooo :laugh:

talkingcars
02-11-12, 12:54 PM
To remove the BCU you will need to swap all the electrics and electronics to those from a mk1 and will have to swap the dash or customise the switches and in doing so you'll lose climate control if fitted.

Enright
02-11-12, 01:09 PM
Yeah, you don't want to be trying to retro-fit an entire Mk1 loom into a Mk2, just for the sake of a remap!
You'd lose the potential for a lot more than you'd gain.

Skillen
02-11-12, 02:00 PM
Means driving down to Somerset again though.. 470 miles round tip, 5 hours each way, wooo :laugh:

Be the best 5 hours you've had in a car on the way there, I thought my ZR handled well!
And then on the way back you'll have the best 5 hours you've hd in a car!

ZS Phil
02-11-12, 05:30 PM
What a bargain, well done. I wonder why he let it go so cheap.
What are the plans?

Chaz
02-11-12, 05:41 PM
To remove the BCU you will need to swap all the electrics and electronics to those from a mk1 and will have to swap the dash or customise the switches and in doing so you'll lose climate control if fitted.

Yeah think il leave it haha..

Yeah, you don't want to be trying to retro-fit an entire Mk1 loom into a Mk2, just for the sake of a remap!
You'd lose the potential for a lot more than you'd gain.

Yeah im just gunna sell my ZR ECU set to fund a remap for the ZS :)

Be the best 5 hours you've had in a car on the way there, I thought my ZR handled well!
And then on the way back you'll have the best 5 hours you've hd in a car!

Yeah good point but it takes a whole day up of my life haha..

What a bargain, well done. I wonder why he let it go so cheap.
What are the plans?

Iv got big plans :p

Il make a progress thread tomorrow with pics if I remember..

He sold it cheap because of the mileage, the back bumper has lacquer peel and hes got a honda on his dads drive not being used and his dad wants it moving so hes decided to sell the ZS..

ZS Phil
02-11-12, 06:57 PM
Fair enough, bargain either way.

I want to know exactly how big the plans are lol, are we going to have a second VNT ZS on our hands :P??

Seriously though, looking forward to the thread :)

Chaz
02-11-12, 08:06 PM
Fair enough, bargain either way.

I want to know exactly how big the plans are lol, are we going to have a second VNT ZS on our hands :P??

Seriously though, looking forward to the thread :)

Nah im not into the VNT stuff mate, just a bigger wastegated turbo for me :)