PDA

View Full Version : R/C Race Circuit

Smokey
06-11-12, 07:37 PM
OK, so this isn't a project for the ZS but it's my current project over the winter!

My son, who is 8, loves cars, Hot Wheels cars, racing cars, Go-Karting, and BTCC. Love actually doesn't explain it! Ian saw Lewis at Brands Hatch, he was always watching the cars regardless of the kids rides etc!

Anyway, while at these BTCC meets, Honda have a R/C circuit with 10 cars and it inspired me to build my own in the wee mans room!

I am using 1:24 scale cars which allows 4 side by side (track width is 40cms)

So, this is the layout of the circuit, which basically fills the availabe floor space in his room except for a section at the bottom end by the built in wardrobes and the door:

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff96/smokeysworld/8D767C92-1D5F-4537-AD46-8C4804D23C97-22921-00000AF4549436E7.jpg

Yes, that is a bridge/tunnel section. The dimensions ar 3.5 metres long and 2 metres wide at it's widest points.

The plan is to have 3 sections (as indicated by dash marks) The 'road surface' will be MDF sheets covered in black/grey lino. Then the track borders are made of wood which will be painted black like tyres and I hope dazzer will make up advertising hoardings for all the way round.

The three sections will bolt together so it will all be secure but allows for portability if he wants his floor space back!!

There will be LED floodlights and lights in the tunnel, I also will have tyres for on the corners for extra crash fun!

There will be a camera mounted facing in to the tunnel (so you will see car headlights coming towards you) and this will be watchable on a 4 inch monitor just like they have at circuits! (this will be able to be plugged in to a laptop for recording. A second camera will cover the rest of the circuit.

This is very early stages but I have cut the surround for the framework on one section to get an idea of scale and here it is (it's the bottom right section of the track and I have laid it out on my kitchen floor)

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff96/smokeysworld/8807E6EB-1DFD-4499-97B0-926ED1920F79-22921-00000AF44F1C1427.jpg

This isn't going to be a rushed project as my son will be getting involved with painting etc but I will update with pictures as and when we make further progress.

Ritchy
06-11-12, 07:46 PM
Why dont you make a big one outside? :) looks good though

Smokey
06-11-12, 07:48 PM
Space and crap weather lol!

peterzs
06-11-12, 07:51 PM
You sure its for your son???????????

Think someone else might be grabbing the controls.

Looks good.

:whistle::whistle::whistle:

Smokey
06-11-12, 08:09 PM
Haha, Kat and I may 'test' it now and then to ensure its working :whistle:

BUCKYDEVIL
06-11-12, 08:15 PM
Look's like another great build thread, as said Im sure it will please you as much as the wee fella.

Smokey
06-11-12, 08:46 PM
Will look a bit more like a track once the first section is complete!

peterzs
06-11-12, 08:59 PM
Whats the betting the son has taken a interest in R/C planes next!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

;););)

welshone
06-11-12, 09:09 PM
Think he was more hooked on the racing then you at Brands :laugh:

Great little project you've got going on here. :)

talkingcars
06-11-12, 09:48 PM
Nice project but you could save a lot of work and cost and storage problems by just making the edge without the base except for the bridge section. You should be able make it so you can clip the sections togeather.

talkingcars
06-11-12, 09:54 PM
In fact you could even make some of hinged so it folds for storage.

Smokey
06-11-12, 11:31 PM
I considered hinges but its so big they would either buckle or be too big. As for no base, would be far less sturdy and would feel 'temporary'. I can move this anywhere in 3 peices so thats the plan.

As for my son at Brands Ian, you're right! He also chose Clio's racing over autographs at Silverstone after the morning delay. He just loves it!

Getting him membership to Knockhill's Karting Club for xmas so will be there ot the very least once a month!

Quadcam24
07-11-12, 07:43 AM
my dad made me a big scalextric on a couple of 8 x 4 sheets that we used to be able to just lift up against the wall, played on it for ages, had a bridge and a full circle that went up in a spiral, all built in and modelled with wire foundation and then paper mache and then pained it all up, was brilliant.

talkingcars
07-11-12, 08:46 AM
Lewis Hamilton started with R/C cars and karting at under the age of 10.

Smokey
07-11-12, 09:07 AM
My sons name is Lewis so that's a good omen lol!

To be fair, you only have to look at Lewis Williamson (I lived next door to his sister and was friends with the family) and how he progressed on little budget and primarily sponsorship. He is doing pretty well for himself now!