PDA

View Full Version : Deepest joy

al_roverMG
15-12-07, 06:36 PM
Well driving home this evening about 5 minutes after it got dark and the headlights seemed to get a little bit dimmer and predominantly shining on the left, thought hmmmmmm bulb?? stopped at sainsbury and had a look and sure enough drivers side has blown. So i have the joy of changing it tomorrow. I have to say it is a pig of a job on the diesel as EVERYTHING is in the way.

Maxxed_Ross
15-12-07, 06:41 PM
oo have fun, it is a swine of a job

Halfrauds have a 2 for 1 offer on Halogen bulbs just now

Southern Storm
15-12-07, 06:41 PM
I remember trying to change the alternator on a diesel renault clio (eurgh). That was a pig.
Good luck mate.

al_roverMG
15-12-07, 07:02 PM
Cheers for the heads up Ross. Am tempted by the osram nighbreakers as they have some very good reviews.

sduk
15-12-07, 07:52 PM
i changed both of mine last week, wasnt easy, sore hands later it was done. good luck :)

R8NMG
15-12-07, 08:47 PM
Am tempted by the osram nighbreakers as they have some very good reviews.

Don't dismiss Philips X-treme Power bulbs. I have them on all 4 and very pleased with them.The driver side is easy to change but the passenger side is abit tricky. Main beam on passenger side is the worst.

arwilson80
15-12-07, 09:38 PM
I nthe 180 i found them easy enough... but then again i changed ones on a Fiesta and they were horrendous... over an hour at 1 bulb and you couldn't see anything. Just had to feel around.

Maxxed_Ross
15-12-07, 10:14 PM
Taking the battery out makes a big difference if you get despirate

arwilson80
15-12-07, 10:19 PM
Cheers for the heads up Ross. Am tempted by the osram nighbreakers as they have some very good reviews.

I'm considering the Bosch Power White ones after Christmas. They look good...

Boot Hill Bandit
15-12-07, 10:44 PM
My bulbs are crap guys :sad:

Can anyone of you recommend whats best?? what lights up the road nice and clearly with a white light (not a bloody dingy yellow like mine seem to be) and have been reliable??

Thanks folks :D

Jim

al_roverMG
16-12-07, 11:42 AM
Well i ended up with a set of Osram nightbreakers and got them for a very reasonable 24 quid (which is a fiver less than anywhere i have seen on the net and was funnily enough from the local motor factors). Have to say (as it had osram bulbs of some sort in it anyway which Dad assures me are the standard ones as they did a couple of headlight blubs recently on facelift ZS so i was warned of the difficulty) the colour difference from the main beam is very noticeable. They look as close to the 4300k light colour that hids give without being hids. Subject to trying them in the dark they get a 2 thumbs up from me and i am going to do the main beams with them 2.

Oh and what a right pain to change, under 30 seconds for the drivers side. Passenger side took closer to an hour of removing skin from various bits of my arm and hand while getting into a position that i am sure isnt humanly possible in no space. Ended up with SWMBO and her smaller hands in there to get the new bulb in. Battery is coming out to do the main beams i think.

Boot Hill Bandit
16-12-07, 11:55 AM
Sounds like they are the bulbs I need to find then :) . I really was not too impressed with mine when I was driving back from Surrey......I think even Ralph commented that they weren't that good :unsure:

Handy review that ;) I wonder how they will be at night........any noticable differences.

Jim

al_roverMG
16-12-07, 04:24 PM
Well seeing as they were Osram bulbs as standard (so not cheap replacements) the difference with these nightbreakers is amazing. Certainly a marked improvement in visibility and the illuminated road looks like daylight. Seems to give a bit more distance wise as well which always helps and even under street lamps you can see more of the detail on the road which surprised me.

I will certainly be getting some for the main beams now.

arwilson80
16-12-07, 08:48 PM
Jim, as yours is the MKII i'm not sure if that'll make any / much difference, but the lights on my ZS compared to the ZR i had before is remarkable. The ZS gets more light on the road than the ZR ever did even with 'fancy headlights'.

Boot Hill Bandit
16-12-07, 09:03 PM
Mine being a mk1 and candles for bulbs.......theres got to be an improvement out there somewhere lol

Jim

arwilson80
16-12-07, 09:06 PM
HID's... :whistle:

Boot Hill Bandit
16-12-07, 09:08 PM
I don't want to go down that route......with my driving......the front of the car is most likely to get mashed........a cheaper cost effective alternative is bulbs that actually give off light rather than a warm glow lol

Jim

Southern Storm
16-12-07, 09:34 PM
Likewise Jim, Being a MK1, although I am quite impressed with my bulbs. Not sure what they are but my boss asked if they were HID's. You think yours are bad you should try the Scirocco. I have driven round town before with main beams on. Never got flashed once and my friend i was following thought I just had quite bright headlights. Checked the voltage going to the bulbs and because of the crap design, was getting a jaw dropping 6V to the lights. Must get round to fitting an uprated headlight wiring loom. Can check to see what bulbs I am using if you like.

Boot Hill Bandit
16-12-07, 09:39 PM
Go for it.......it's all a handy database of info when things go wrong and need replacing.

Jim

Southern Storm
16-12-07, 09:46 PM
Okey Dokey