PDA

View Full Version : Mg zr

ZS
09-11-12, 09:01 PM
Looking for an MG ZR, preferably a diesel...

May look at swapping or part ex'ing my MG F

Condition is not too much of a concern as I am willing to do work to it if needed.

*MAY* consider other cars... but not sure what yet (maybe a mondeo tdci or similar)

Steven11
09-11-12, 09:13 PM
If i was going for a diesel i would always go for a bigger car, there's somthing tragic about a small sporty car with a diesel engine in it. The look and the sound just dont go together,

Why not go for a Diesel ZS. Probably not that much difference in purchase price or running costs from a diesel ZR.

Lukeus101
09-11-12, 09:15 PM
What sort of budget mate? Will keep my eyes peeled for you :)

talkingcars
09-11-12, 09:15 PM
Do they even do a diesel ZR, I thought they only come in 25 flavour.

ZS
09-11-12, 09:19 PM
If i was going for a diesel i would always go for a bigger car, there's somthing tragic about a small sporty car with a diesel engine in it. The look and the sound just dont go together,

Why not go for a Diesel ZS. Probably not that much difference in purchase price or running costs from a diesel ZR.

Because the daily drive is a ZS180 :) not really after two ZS's (Been there done that)

As for the small Diesel thing, nothing wrong with it :) and I did the large Diesel car before, a 75 tourer CDT, was not the best decision I ever made!

Steven11
09-11-12, 09:19 PM

No unfortunately they did make a diesel version. Dont think there are many out there though. Most people wanting a diesel bought the ZS i think.

ZS
09-11-12, 09:21 PM
What sort of budget mate? Will keep my eyes peeled for you :)

As cheap as possible :)

Yup, ZR Diesel 101ps and 115ps variants :)

Steven11
09-11-12, 09:21 PM
Because the daily drive is a ZS180 :) not really after two ZS's (Been there done that)

As for the small Diesel thing, nothing wrong with it :) and I did the large Diesel car before, a 75 tourer CDT, was not the best decision I ever made!

What problems did you have. Ive been considering a ZTT diesel for a while. Take it you would advise against it ?

ZS
09-11-12, 09:29 PM
What problems did you have. Ive been considering a ZTT diesel for a while. Take it you would advise against it ?

It cost me in the region of £5k to keep it on the road for the 8 or 9 months I owned it...

IIRC was £1200 for the clutch/slave cyl/dual mass flywheel

Then I had to replace
rear springs,
brake lines,
both fuel pumps,
EGR valve,
PCV decided not to work and build crankcase pressure which kicked oil out the dipstick so had to fix that...
All four tyres needed replacing because of tracking issues

Then after all that some polish idiot decided he didn't need to look at the road and drove into the back of me, was sorted outside of insurance (since he was on polish insurance) after that it required a new rear bumper, crash bar, rear callipers.... So I decided enough was enough!

BTW in that first list all but the tyres/tracking are Common issues with the 75 Tourer\ZTT apparently...

Oh and that Diesel round town was worse MPG than the 180 was... although long distance was 55 - 60 mpg... as long as no stop start traffic.

Its very possible that I just had a Lemon as a lot of other people love those cars and swear by them (despite the issues - all cars have common faults right?)

Lukeus101
09-11-12, 09:30 PM
Maybe worth a call:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201243490246305/sort/default/usedcars/fuel-type/diesel/model/zr/make/mg/onesearchad/used/onesearchad/nearlynew/onesearchad/new/radius/1501/page/1/postcode/wf93hy?logcode=p

Steven11
09-11-12, 09:35 PM
It cost me in the region of £5k to keep it on the road for the 8 or 9 months I owned it...

IIRC was £1200 for the clutch/slave cyl/dual mass flywheel

Then I had to replace
rear springs,
brake lines,
both fuel pumps,
EGR valve,
PCV decided not to work and build crankcase pressure which kicked oil out the dipstick so had to fix that...
All four tyres needed replacing because of tracking issues

Then after all that some polish idiot decided he didn't need to look at the road and drove into the back of me, was sorted outside of insurance (since he was on polish insurance) after that it required a new rear bumper, crash bar, rear callipers.... So I decided enough was enough!

BTW in that first list all but the tyres/tracking are Common issues with the 75 Tourer\ZTT apparently...

Oh and that Diesel round town was worse MPG than the 180 was... although long distance was 55 - 60 mpg... as long as no stop start traffic.

Its very possible that I just had a Lemon as a lot of other people love those cars and swear by them (despite the issues - all cars have common faults right?)

What diesel engins are available in the ZTT, is there a V6 version. And does is share the shame engine as the 75 tourer

ZS
09-11-12, 09:35 PM
Oh yeah... NOT SILVER. I don't want a Silver car ;) lol

ZS Phil
09-11-12, 09:37 PM
No unfortunately they did make a diesel version. Dont think there are many out there though. Most people wanting a diesel bought the ZS i think.

Why unfortunately? A diesel ZR with map, SDIs, decat and upped boost (max £300) will run the same bhp as a ZR 160 and almost twice the torque. I know which I would rather drive along a nice twisty B road.

Not to mention use half as many revs and almost double MPG. Half price tax and half price insurance. Furthermore the diesel will happily take the miles and be more reliable

Haters gunna hate.

ZS
09-11-12, 09:37 PM
What diesel engins are available in the ZTT, is there a V6 version. And does is share the shame engine as the 75 tourer

Yeah there is a 190 V6 version... Same engines in all 75's \ ZT's just with different power outputs :)

Ritchy
09-11-12, 09:41 PM
can confirm all of those faults are common on 75/zt, also the electrics, plenum fills up with water wrecks the ecu

talkingcars
09-11-12, 09:54 PM
There are also 2.0 KV6 at 160 bhp and 2.5 auto KV6 at 180bhp
plus there is a 190 bhp which is a 1.8 turbo.
And the diesel use BMW engines.

Steven11
09-11-12, 09:55 PM
Why unfortunately? A diesel ZR with map, SDIs, decat and upped boost (max £300) will run the same bhp as a ZR 160 and almost twice the torque. I know which I would rather drive along a nice twisty B road.

Not to mention use half as many revs and almost double MPG. Half price tax and half price insurance. Furthermore the diesel will happily take the miles and be more reliable

Haters gunna hate.

Sorry if any offence was caused, really not my intent. I do know what your talking about but its the way the diesel delivers the power to the 160. It may have more torque but the gears are just to short. I dont think the power is as accessable as it is in the 160. That's the main thing i love about my ZS 180, the long lazy gears

Reallly not hating on diesel's, would happily drive a ZS diesel

talkingcars
09-11-12, 09:57 PM
I don't like diesel cars, spend all day driving lorries and fork lifts............

and have you ever heard a decent sounding road going diesel car?

ZS Phil
09-11-12, 10:37 PM
Sorry if any offence was caused, really not my intent. I do know what your talking about but its the way the diesel delivers the power to the 160. It may have more torque but the gears are just to short. I dont think the power is as accessable as it is in the 160. That's the main thing i love about my ZS 180, the long lazy gears

Reallly not hating on diesel's, would happily drive a ZS diesel

haha, no offense was caused, sorry if I came across as being snotty. I was just making the point that if you can see past the sound at tick over then a diesel ZR makes perfect sense when pitched against any of the petrol versions.

I guess its all personal preference, I have had a ZS 180 in the past before my ZS diesel and personally I prefer the sensation of being thrown back in your seat without the need to change gear. I know its not actually quicker than a 160 from a standing start but 30 to 50 pull in third (real world driving for overtaking etc) and its bye bye 160 Im afraid.

I don't like diesel cars, spend all day driving lorries and fork lifts............

and have you ever heard a decent sounding road going diesel car?

A couple of clips for the old auditory ossicles:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WN0Zc2CaYYU&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAieHZPpMcY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqyszLVZl2U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N9CmOlixOc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6o6E9CPhZL4&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THlqwMldhsM

Even the old l series on boost is quite a chirpy old girl:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-OoB96c3cI

Nobrainer
09-11-12, 10:38 PM
If the 180 is your daily why do you want a diesel?

ZS
10-11-12, 07:11 AM
If the 180 is your daily why do you want a diesel?

The ZR is to replace the F, which is shared between a friend and I. She uses it instead of her motorbike in winter, and i cant use it because of the kids (3 people and 2 seats) - the F isnt that good a winter car, even with the hard top.

Also I would quite like to be able to go see my parents without using over 2 tanks of fuel... hence the diesel.