PDA

View Full Version : Rover/MG Question

Cally180
19-11-12, 04:34 PM
Q.
what rover or MG came with a Diff as standard. something is tell me it was the rover 25 BRM?

petet16
19-11-12, 04:55 PM
A torsen diff you mean,

Maxxed_Ross
19-11-12, 04:55 PM
all cars have a differential... but I know what you mean lol

There were two types of LSD (limited slip differential) and the most common being the Type B - the one that came as standard in the R200 BRM. The Type A was a racing differential and is fairly rare these days

petet16
19-11-12, 04:59 PM
Not quite Ross, all the 220/420 turbos came with a type A, 620ti, BRM, and some of the Vitesse came with a type B.

If your thinking of buying a s/h box for the diff double check that it still has the torsen fitted, there are lots of turbo Rovers running with nasp boxes and open diffs

Maxxed_Ross
19-11-12, 05:01 PM
I knew it was something like that. You can see throuigh the middle of the type A and the type B is solid

petet16
19-11-12, 05:04 PM
Other way round mate, you can see straight through a type B, type A has a plate with a small hole, open diff has a bar through the middle, and a quaife has a plate like a type A but with a bigger hole.

welshone
19-11-12, 05:16 PM
Q.
what rover or MG came with a Diff as standard. something is tell me it was the rover 25 BRM?

How dare you call it a Rover 25 BRM :whip::whip::whip::whip:

It's a Rover 200 BRM LE :mad:

Cally180
19-11-12, 05:58 PM
thanks guys, not actually for me, for my bro he has a Saxo VTS for the track (a bit of family competing going on here :laugh: )

he has been told a rover one fits the saxo but wasn't sure what it was off, budget option instead of going for a quaife.

sounds like a bit of work is required to get a hold of one but hey .. that's his problem :-D

How dare you call it a Rover 25 BRM :whip::whip::whip::whip:

It's a Rover 200 BRM LE :mad:

you like what I done there :laugh: its a easy mistake... you know they all look alike lol!!

what is the LE stand for?

did the MG ZR 160's not come with a type B then? is that the only difference from the BRM and ZR 160?

talkingcars
19-11-12, 06:02 PM
No, the ZR didn't.

Best place for info is rovertech.net

petet16
19-11-12, 06:03 PM
I don't think it will fit a Saxo box either, Quaife list different part numbers for Saxo's and 200/400 Rovers

welshone
19-11-12, 06:05 PM
thanks guys, not actually for me, for my bro he has a Saxo VTS for the track (a bit of family competing going on here :laugh: )

he has been told a rover one fits the saxo but wasn't sure what it was off, budget option instead of going for a quaife.

sounds like a bit of work is required to get a hold of one but hey .. that's his problem :-D

you like what I done there :laugh: its a easy mistake... you know they all look alike lol!!

what is the LE stand for?

did the MG ZR 160's not come with a type B then? is that the only difference from the BRM and ZR 160?

LE stands for Limited Edition

& the 200 was built by the Rover Group owned by a bunch of t*ssers (BMW)

the 25 was built by the MG Rover Group owned by a bunch of muppets. (Phoenix Consortium)

There are many differences between the BRM and the ZR160

ZRed
19-11-12, 06:13 PM
1.4 r65 box has compatible gear sets with pug / Citroen. Good upgrade to metro racers was a peugeotsport gearset from race 106's. suretrac and gripper do diffs for them.

Nobrainer
19-11-12, 06:46 PM
The BRM has a PG1 though, same as the ZS (with some minor differences so the gearboxes arent interchangable. The diffs are though. Id say it doesnt fit in a Saxo just so it doesnt get used in one!

Maxxed_Ross
19-11-12, 07:38 PM
Other way round mate, you can see straight through a type B, type A has a plate with a small hole, open diff has a bar through the middle, and a quaife has a plate like a type A but with a bigger hole.

I'm just going to shut up now :look:

petet16
19-11-12, 07:54 PM
Sorry:smile1:

Ritchy
19-11-12, 08:06 PM
1.4 r65 box has compatible gear sets with pug / Citroen. Good upgrade to metro racers was a peugeotsport gearset from race 106's. suretrac and gripper do diffs for them.

listen to this man:0
i like quaife stuff

Maxxed_Ross
19-11-12, 08:17 PM
I've been looking into getting a Gripper for mine, they seem to get alot of good reviews and work out a touch cheaper than a Quaife version.

I dunno it it's my driving style or bad luck, but I've broken two Type B diffs at Knockhill. The last one sheared the whole drive leg off with the bearing still on it lol.

I've got another one from Goldie (aka ZRed) so I'll try and be more careful with this one!

Cally180
19-11-12, 08:23 PM
I've been looking into getting a Gripper for mine, they seem to get alot of good reviews and work out a touch cheaper than a Quaife version.

my bro used to have a Gripper in his old Nova GTE, said it was worth every penny, made the world of a difference.

ZRed
20-11-12, 12:16 AM
Grippers don't drive same as torsens as they are plate type diffs. They are point and go! Takes a lot to get used to!

Maxxed_Ross
20-11-12, 01:33 AM
what would be best for a bit of fast track that can handle a heavy right foot then?