PDA

View Full Version : Diesel Tuning

Ippon
21-11-12, 07:12 PM
Could this be tuned? as the exhaust looks "meaty"
Also for the Diesel .... what is pretty simple/ cheap to do?

Dave
21-11-12, 07:32 PM
The L series diesel engine found in the ZS, is easily tuned for a reliable 150bhp+

This is basically from fitting injectors from the older L series engine, found in the older bubble shaped cars i.e Rover 200/400/600, followed up by a re-map.

Injectors are approx £50+, and i can do re-maps for £220 here in peterborough.

Plenty of smiles per gallon with the ol' L series derv :)

Cheers
Dave

peterzs
21-11-12, 07:55 PM
Cheap fix, decat off ebay, BMC panel filter, boost up a bit, Stainless steel Powerflow exhaust, cat back, main thing is to make sure the MAF sensor is 100%. Then a remap would give 134bhp 198 ft/lbs

SDi injectors and a remap, plus the above, 159 bhp and 236 ft/lbs.

Maxxed_Ross
21-11-12, 08:24 PM
Apparently taking the EGR valve out and blanking it can make quite a difference on these. I've done it to my Defender and it gives you a stack more torque

It can be an issue on newer engines though

Chaz
21-11-12, 09:01 PM
Blanking the EGR gives no performance increase at all.. Some say the turbo spools slightly earlier which in theory it should but I doubt its noticable..

With SDi's, decat, cone, EGR blanked, boost upped, new maf and remap my ZR made 155 BHP with 262 lb ft torque, it was a rocket.. But due to the torque it ruined my gearbox which is why im now breaking it :laugh:

Maxxed_Ross
21-11-12, 09:04 PM
it will give some because it's not having to recycle the spent exhaust gas, so you get a far better fuel burn

granted it will be small, but every little helps when you add them all together

I did notice a difference on the Defender - possibly more because it's a 2.5 with more torque as standard anyway

Chaz
21-11-12, 09:10 PM
it will give some because it's not having to recycle the spent exhaust gas, so you get a far better fuel burn

granted it will be small, but every little helps when you add them all together

I did notice a difference on the Defender - possibly more because it's a 2.5 with more torque as standard anyway

Yeah I guess..

But the EGR shuts off once the engine is warm anyway I think?

Maxxed_Ross
21-11-12, 09:15 PM
http://www.howstuffinmycarworks.com/EGR_valve.html

it seems to differ massively depending on what type of EGR valve you have!

Dan1971
22-11-12, 06:33 AM
Here's my thread re the performance bits I did to my diesel.

http://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=17840&highlight=decat+diesel

Didn't spend a lot - didn't get it remapped and up to 151 bhp on a RR graph.

Hope that helps ..... Re the blanking off egr thing - there's a bit of it where I added the SDis and blanked the EGR and the difference was 26.2bhp - (with the decat already fitted).

p_b82
22-11-12, 02:20 PM
the L-series has a very very rudimentary EGR system - that is only active on constant throttle when on the move...

if you are oe pf those annoying people that speed up/slow down on the motorway all the time - your EGR would never be active.

It makes Zero performance difference on our engines under WOT as a result.... tho every engine is different....

MY brother in law's EGR got stuck open - and the performance of the car (alfa JTD) became dangerously poor..... probably more down to electronic limiters than anything else but even so...