PDA

View Full Version : Dash swap

Smokey
25-11-12, 11:20 PM
I know this is a little outside the box, but I was thinking....

....if you look at the dash of newer cars, the only things that vary are vent locations, centre console switches and the dials (rev/speedo etc)

Now, I have proven that rewiring switches is possible. Redirecting vents would be fairly straightforward as they are usually in a similar place.

The only issue is, if you take the dials from, let's say a new Ford Focus. Can they be rewired to provide the correct information?

And in expansion to that, can they display more than currently available in the ZS...ie miles in tank, mpg etc.

Obviously I'm aware you would need sensors etc but does all this info require the ECU? Is it 'possible but pointless due to expense' or is it 'possible and should be tried'?

Just something to throw in the mix!

Maxxed_Ross
26-11-12, 12:03 AM
sounds extremely complicated!

andys1981
26-11-12, 12:06 AM
speaking to goldie yesterday,the ecus arent that great mate,dont hold much info

Ritchy
26-11-12, 06:35 AM
nah not really tbh, not a simple wire up

Dan1971
26-11-12, 07:17 AM
I think a man of your skill and dedication would find a solution. Do it .....

Nobrainer
26-11-12, 07:32 AM
I reckon youd be better spending your time and money perking up the track car or doing more track days

sneekyparrot
26-11-12, 07:51 AM
Cheaper and less hassle to get an LCD dash like a stack.
Wiring is not a prob but calibration etc would be a pain.

P.

Smokey
26-11-12, 11:10 AM
Sounds possible though :)

When converting to VVC, don't you change the ecu? Could you not reprogram a focus ecu with its extra sensors and info to have the mg data plus the extras?

KevG
26-11-12, 12:07 PM
Totally and utterly pointless mod to do.

Lets put it this way, most if not all new cars today work on a CANBUS system, in which all the ECU's in the car talk to each other, it isnt as simple as reprogramming the ECU to make it work, apart from the other sensors etc, you will need access to the electronic diagnostic equipment in which to see what problems and why the all various ECU's arent working.

More hassle than the MGZS is worth mate, even for bespoke dash/instrument build.

petet16
26-11-12, 12:34 PM
It would be a lot cheaper and easier to use a Scangauge 2 blended into the existing dash.

Smokey
26-11-12, 12:35 PM
ok...how about just the same functions as the ZS. ie. putting in Focus dials and making the warning lights and dials work? Still an ultimately difficult task?

Smokey
26-11-12, 12:36 PM
Pete, was thinking about Scanguage which has mpg etc....can the info this displays not be farmed out to the display built in to the dash?

KevG
26-11-12, 12:43 PM
You still wont get it to work, the ECU's in the ZS dont have anywhere near the sensor inputs/outputs to do this, the Focus speedo head etc needs the various ECU's to work, just like the Rover 75/MG ZT, the speedo information was held in the light control module, so if the instrument pack went faulty the dealer had to recover the stored info from the light module before re-programming the instrument pack, it isnt just a simple plug'n'play system like a PC, lots of different perimeters are required.

The Mk5 Astra for example (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/vauxhall-astra-h-mk5-estate-1700-cdti-ecu-kit-complete-fuse-boxes-ecm-key-speedo-/221155315880?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item337de250a8), if a breaker is selling bits from it he includes the ECU/Instrument Pack/Keys/looms etc.

petet16
26-11-12, 12:44 PM
Pete, was thinking about Scanguage which has mpg etc....can the info this displays not be farmed out to the display built in to the dash?

tbh I don't know the answer to that question.

Smokey
26-11-12, 12:48 PM
So essentially if you did a full dash conversion, you'd need to keep the dials the same!

May look at scanguage fitment into the instrument area too then!

petet16
26-11-12, 12:54 PM
It would be easier to keep the dials I think, it may be possible to swap dials if you have a wiring diagram from the donor car, but you are then into calibrating them to the zs, and also trying to work out how much of the info could be displayed.

talkingcars
26-11-12, 05:53 PM
Someone on .org was building a scanguge type device but I don't know what happened in the end.

There is no reason why someone clever couldn't use the OBD2 data to knock togeather some sort of reader that can provide the info you want.

Again it should be possible to create a hybrid dash using the speedo drive and mileometer from the ZS in a "modern dash".

daytona365
26-11-12, 06:58 PM
Totally and utterly pointless mod to do.

Lets put it this way, most if not all new cars today work on a CANBUS system, in which all the ECU's in the car talk to each other, it isnt as simple as reprogramming the ECU to make it work, apart from the other sensors etc, you will need access to the electronic diagnostic equipment in which to see what problems and why the all various ECU's arent working.

More hassle than the MGZS is worth mate, even for bespoke dash/instrument build.

I second that. Its almost impossibile to swap fascias/dials from one Ford to another these days, let alone to an older and different make. :no:

Maxxed_Ross
26-11-12, 07:18 PM
get one like mine and blend it into the cluster housing

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/165336_181940718497760_3470346_n.jpg

it's a fully changeable TFT screen, so technically you could make it display anything!

Smokey
26-11-12, 07:38 PM
Considered that Ross but only if you could have it display as dials like lambos etc

Maxxed_Ross
26-11-12, 07:41 PM
like I said you can make it display anything, so analogue style dials wouldn't be hard I don't think

Ritchy
26-11-12, 07:57 PM
As kev said its the likes of the canbus that makes it difficult, fpcus dashboard is a nightmare of a thing anyway, need the doors off to get 2 of the dash bolts out haha, tbh i like the zs dash, be easier to take the zs dials and bubbins out and make them fit the cluster? Still be anightmare and probably a disaster

Smokey
26-11-12, 08:07 PM
Any pictures of this Ross?

Maxxed_Ross
26-11-12, 08:17 PM
not got a picture of the DTA with it but this is apparently a screen shot from a program you download into it

http://www.avbrand.com/projects/carpc/digitaldash/gauges.jpg

Apparently it works with those USB readers for the OBD port, so you could in theory run your car computer through it too

Maxxed_Ross
26-11-12, 08:20 PM
this is what i was thinking you could do with yours

http://www.jfmstudios.com/pics/Dash/037.JPG

Smokey
26-11-12, 08:21 PM
That's my ultimate dream! But those things are expensive and surely hard to set up?

Maxxed_Ross
26-11-12, 08:25 PM
if you run it through the car-computer it will be must easier as you'll just need a suitable TFT screen to plug it into, run ones of those OBD readers into it then display the data on the screen. You almost have all the bits there already!

Doing it the way I have will be much harder as you would need to buy all the right sensors then calibrate them. I set up Paul Luti's Race technology dashboard and it took a full day just to calibrate it! You have to take voltage readings from the sensors then tell them what temperature / pressure / speed that actually relates to in the real world. It's a total nightmare to start with.

Smokey
26-11-12, 08:46 PM
So the software you mentioned just goes on a of to be displayed?

WalkerDnB
26-11-12, 08:47 PM
this is what i was thinking you could do with yours

http://www.jfmstudios.com/pics/Dash/037.JPG

I want this!!

petet16
26-11-12, 08:49 PM
I prefer the original instruments tbh, sorry:)

Maxxed_Ross
26-11-12, 09:06 PM
So the software you mentioned just goes on a of to be displayed?

from what I can tell it decodes the signals from the OBD port and shows them on a graphic like the ones above. Doesn't sound that complicated at all

Nobrainer
26-11-12, 09:12 PM
Torque will display anything from the ecu. You could build a tablet into the dash, maybe with some after market dials for the bits it won't do.

WalkerDnB
26-11-12, 09:16 PM
Torque will display anything from the ecu. You could build a tablet into the dash, maybe with some after market dials for the bits it won't do.

It doesn't update fast enough to use. the dials would just jump every half a second

also the bluetooth adapter drains the battery (I accidentally left mine in for a week)

Maxxed_Ross
26-11-12, 09:19 PM
a hard-wired OBD usb would be better then, I've got one in the garage!

WalkerDnB
26-11-12, 09:20 PM
a hard-wired OBD usb would be better then, I've got one in the garage!

If you had a tablet that worked with it

Maxxed_Ross
26-11-12, 09:21 PM
it's all down to the software I think. I used the cabe once to download a remap into my dads Mini and never used it again

talkingcars
26-11-12, 09:33 PM
Get one of these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Laptop-diagnostic-Pro-ELM-327-USB-ver-1-4-OBD-CAN-new-PCB-UK-/281014922801?pt=UK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment&hash=item416dcb6e31

and attach it to a 7 or 10" tablet and use it to display what ever live data you want.

Maxxed_Ross
26-11-12, 09:34 PM
that looks very like the one I have!

talkingcars
26-11-12, 09:37 PM
not got a picture of the DTA with it but this is apparently a screen shot from a program you download into it

http://www.avbrand.com/projects/carpc/digitaldash/gauges.jpg

Apparently it works with those USB readers for the OBD port, so you could in theory run your car computer through it too

http://www.avbrand.com/

Ritchy
26-11-12, 09:54 PM
Il stick to my normal non headache dash'P

Maxxed_Ross
26-11-12, 09:58 PM
it does seem alot of hassle just to replicate what you already have in digital

Smokey
26-11-12, 11:19 PM
I already have an OBD2 to USB and it shows data via centrafuse. It's very basic and can't be changed easily.

Just need the right software for full customisation.

Smokey
27-11-12, 06:33 AM
Had a look at the AV site, sadly
He doesn't share his software as its custom to his set up. Interesting though.

Am also considering taking dials from another car lol

Maxxed_Ross
27-11-12, 06:40 PM
his might be custom made but it's just an example of that can be bought if you go down that route.

KevG
27-11-12, 06:55 PM
What amuses me it something went "pop", and your left with no dials/gauges, and you have to replace the OE stuff again, lol

Smokey
27-11-12, 06:57 PM
good excuse for speeding though :p

KevG
27-11-12, 07:07 PM
good excuse for speeding though :p

Then your car gets taken off you, crushed, and you gain some points/fine, nah

Maxxed_Ross
27-11-12, 07:39 PM
I'm with Kev, sounds like you're going to create a whole world of issues that you shouldn't have in the first place

talkingcars
27-11-12, 08:29 PM
Do it - without people experimenting we wouldn't have cars............

Maxxed_Ross
27-11-12, 08:56 PM
normally I would agree with you, but in this case the hassle isn't relative to the end result

KevG
27-11-12, 09:12 PM
normally I would agree with you, but in this case the hassle isn't relative to the end result

2nd'd

Smokey
27-11-12, 10:35 PM
As I mentioned in post 1, it was just ideas I had floating about. I have a more sure fire mod I plan on, but that can wait til I've made some progress.

zsserbia
27-11-12, 11:29 PM
Imho having a graphical display is pointless unless having an engine so revvy that analogue gauges couldn't catch up with it... And it could draw your attention off the road too much at night whilst being barely visible on a sunny day if not shaded properly. It would look cool though...

Maxxed_Ross
28-11-12, 08:11 AM
And it could draw your attention off the road too much at night whilst being barely visible on a sunny day if not shaded properly.

Now that is a very good point that I didn't even think about. A great deal of research goes into the standard clocks to make sure they work in the best way they can at all times of day and night. That would be a bit of a faff to do on a TFT screen :thumbsdown:

Smokey
28-11-12, 11:22 PM
As I say, was an idea. I have other plans for my dials which will hopefully be liked!