PDA

View Full Version : A frame towing trailer brand new

redzed
26-11-12, 05:19 PM
for sale is my brand new unused recovery a frame trailer with a tow board sign for the back both unused and brand new
see here for what a a frame is
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SOLO-SINGL...item256836a64b

price £100 for both

talkingcars
26-11-12, 05:23 PM
for sale is my brand new unused recovery a frame trailer with a tow board sign for the back both unused and brand new
see here for what a a frame is
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SOLO-SINGL...item256836a64b

price £100 for both

This listing () has been removed, or this item is not available

That was quick.

redzed
26-11-12, 05:33 PM
that wasnt mine i was just showing what it was i was selling!

talkingcars
26-11-12, 05:38 PM
Got any other links?

redzed
26-11-12, 06:18 PM
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SOLO-SINGLE-PERSON-USE-CAR-RECOVERY-A-FRAME-TOWING-DOLLY-TRAILER-2-5Tons-/160664779235?pt=UK_Car_Accessories_Touring_Travel&hash=item25685df9e3

and how to use it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2GIqEnyuR8&feature=related

Maxxed_Ross
26-11-12, 06:58 PM
might be handy for someone with a camper van, you see thay being used to tow small cars behind them quite a bit

No use for anyone with a low front bumper though! Even on that Fiesta in the video it looks flippin close

Nobrainer
27-11-12, 02:28 PM
I looked into this a while back as a cheap towing option for a track car but there are issues. Technically it should only be used over short distances in an emergency. Using it as a regular tow could see you fet nicked. Not sure how much this is enforced though.

Smokey
27-11-12, 02:50 PM
I considered the same but don't fancy getting tickets!

Cally180
27-11-12, 03:33 PM
I was going to get one aswell for towing but no one can tell me if its allowed on the motorway and that the car you are towing must be "road legal" as technically your turning the car behind into a trailer.

even asked a few police and they are clueless.... gray area I suppose..

Smokey
27-11-12, 03:36 PM
Certainly is. Don't fancy being the example though.

talkingcars
27-11-12, 06:23 PM
I'd ask VOSA and DVLA but I think it really depends on the type of licence you have, new driver since the mid 90's are restricted to trailers under 750 kg.

Also it is unbraked and so will be over weight, IIRC 400kg gross weight is the max for an unbraked trailer.

That said I was going to use one when I had my baja bug and was planning to take it on a few 1/4 mile days.

And your price is good.

Maxxed_Ross
27-11-12, 06:28 PM
after 1997 and you need to do a B+E test for anything over 750kg or for a trailer with brakes

As for the car being towed it has to be taxed, insured and have a valid MOT as it is touching the road.

redzed
28-11-12, 09:42 AM
[QUOTE

As for the car being towed it has to be taxed, insured and have a valid MOT as it is touching the road.[/QUOTE]

Thats not what i got told. Asked police and was told its ok to use as long as my license allows, and they vehicle doesnt have to be road legal but you have to have clear towing signs on it and a board hence the one im giving away with the tow kit!

talkingcars
28-11-12, 06:22 PM
As for the car being towed it has to be taxed, insured and have a valid MOT as it is touching the road.

I think that is if it is steering or braking, being totally controlled by the towing device (a frame, dolly etc) is different.

p_b82
28-11-12, 07:25 PM
i was led to believe that it is also a case of if the car has any of it's wheels on the road then it has to be fully road legal.... and obviously comply with the weight restrictions of an unbraked trailer.

I know i can't use it without taking an additional license tho - as i have considered taking the Zs off the road a few times and trailoring it around to get it sorted

big_wasa
28-11-12, 08:33 PM
No need to ask its all on there website.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/@motor/documents/digitalasset/dg_200824.pdf

Maxxed_Ross
07-12-12, 04:52 PM
Good luck finding the right info on that place. I've been looking into trailer law for months and actually found two pages that totally contradicted each other!

redzed
19-12-12, 12:40 PM
BUMP

need this gone, make me an offer!

redzed
02-01-13, 09:03 AM
Bump!

Nobrainer
02-01-13, 11:05 AM
Would you take £50? I don't really need it but would take it off your hands for that.

redzed
02-01-13, 02:42 PM
sorry mate would need a bit more than that, cost me over £240 and its unused. would take £90

Smokey
02-01-13, 04:02 PM
Did we get any clarification as to the condition the towed car needs to be in? ie. road legal, insured etc? dvla site is contradictory and confusing at best and some of my workmates that are 'in the know' aren't even 100%!!

redzed
02-01-13, 04:21 PM
ive been informed by dvla that it is ok to tow an unroadworthy car if you have reasonable excuse for doing so, and so its fine for towing a car to track or to mot, or if youve just bought a car or if its broken down. It also is ok if you have anew license as the weight of you are allowed is 3 tons including the towing car hence why some a have a problem as if you add the towing car and a trailer and the car needing towed its over but as this frame weights nothing its ok for a standard car to tow another car of less weight.

Nobrainer
02-01-13, 09:45 PM
You should be able to get about a hundred for it on Ebay, looking at past listings.