PDA

View Full Version : Why why why?????

Maxxed_Ross
26-11-12, 09:30 PM
Why is it that fantastic oppertunities always come up when you're skint?

I've just been offered first refusal on the genuine Tomb Raider Defender from the 2001 Lara Croft film... the very one that miss Jolie sat in :(

http://www.itak.web.tr/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/tr05b.jpg

http://www.spiegel.de/img/0,1020,425715,00.jpg

But it's currently in the US, shipping is going to cost a fortune and it needs a ton of work doing to it as it's sat outside for quite a while :sleep:

Anyone want to buy a 90% finished touring car? :look:

Nobrainer
26-11-12, 09:35 PM
Brad is in Dorset at the moment, just out of interest

Maxxed_Ross
26-11-12, 09:36 PM
unless he wants to buy a touring car he's not much use I'm afraid

WalkerDnB
26-11-12, 09:40 PM
youd be mad to sell your touring car to buy that Its not even a nice looking defender and not at all memorable from the film imo

Maxxed_Ross
26-11-12, 09:41 PM
probably true, but I like rare and exensive toys

I like it

WalkerDnB
26-11-12, 09:43 PM
Go buy one of these then ;)
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b33/Jolly_uk/BowlerWildcat-ExtreemeAir.jpg

Maxxed_Ross
26-11-12, 09:45 PM
that's a tad too expensive! And slight overkill for nipping down the shops

WalkerDnB
26-11-12, 09:49 PM
that's a tad too expensive! And slight overkill for nipping down the shops

well tbh will all the floodwater around it wouldn't be overkill right now :)

Ritchy
26-11-12, 09:51 PM
Thats not even practical for scotland, its for tropical jungles hence the no sides lol, could you imagine that in minus 20 with sideways snow, would be better walking

Maxxed_Ross
26-11-12, 09:55 PM
I drive with the windown down on mine all year round anyway, so it wouldn't really bother me. Before I bought the current Tomb Raider double cab I very nearly bought a 90 V8 soft top!

You can get a roof that fits it, but it looks daft with it on.

Ok looks like common sense has kicked in finally lol

stamford
27-11-12, 07:05 AM
Wasn't the film car the only V8, the rest being TD5s? I would!

peterzs
27-11-12, 10:17 AM
Bet its not as dear as you think to import from the states,

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20101221155506AANlp46

If its as bad as you say it wont have a high purchase price so low VAT and other charges.

Buy it, do it up, and flog it, to fund the Touring car!!!

:whistle::whistle::whistle:

Maxxed_Ross
27-11-12, 06:36 PM
Wasn't the film car the only V8, the rest being TD5s? I would!

Landrover Special Vehicles built 4 of them for the film - all V8s, one was destroyed during the filming (no idea how they managed that!), one was kept one for the heritage centre and a private collector has the other. This one was kept in the US after the film and has been a prop at the theme park since 2001!

Bet its not as dear as you think to import from the states,

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20101221155506AANlp46

If its as bad as you say it wont have a high purchase price so low VAT and other charges.

Buy it, do it up, and flog it, to fund the Touring car!!!

:whistle::whistle::whistle:

It's not cheap even in the state its in, but with it being a UK car still UK registered hopefully there won't be any VAT... problem is there's in papers from when it went from the UK to the US in 2000 :angry:

stamford
28-11-12, 07:27 AM
Oh dear, if it was a prop from a theme park it must be in a right state then. I've seen a few ex-film cars and they don't weather too well when left open to the elements. The last time I saw a few vehicles was from Terminator Salvation in L.A. and a few from Jurassic Park once in Tampa.

Dan1971
28-11-12, 07:31 AM
Think you should fly over and take a look.....:whistle: Build the cost into bringing it home into any offer you make, and if it doesn't pan out, you get a holiday ....

Maxxed_Ross
28-11-12, 08:06 AM
a friend of the guy that has put me onto it has bought it and it taking it to Canada, he's going over there in the next few weeks to assess it and work out what needs done to it.

best quote i have so far for it's size / weight has been £2500... not too bad really but I would need to trailer it back from Portsmouth!

Dan1971
28-11-12, 08:53 AM
Email wheeler dealers .... tell Mike about it and get him to go buy it, on the proviso that you get to buy it off him when sorted .....

ZS
28-11-12, 09:02 AM
a friend of the guy that has put me onto it has bought it and it taking it to Canada, he's going over there in the next few weeks to assess it and work out what needs done to it.

best quote i have so far for it's size / weight has been £2500... not too bad really but I would need to trailer it back from Portsmouth!

Stick it on my drive for a few weeks if you need ;) - I'm only up the road from portsmouth...

Maxxed_Ross
28-11-12, 09:11 AM
realistically I think it needs too much work and money put into it

Plus I have no where to put it during the said work other than the back garden (that will please the neighbors!) and the small matter of a touring car to finish before I embark on the next money pit project.

As fantastic as it would be I couldn't keep both Defenders, my current Tomb Raider 110 makes more sense.

Head has over ruled heart on this one I'm afraid.

I'm still helping the guy get it over here, so at least I can say I had a hand in saving it and bringing it home