PDA

View Full Version : whistle noise

buchan4042
27-11-12, 07:42 PM
my mg zs has a whistle noise from under the glove box when the demisters are on, settings one and two dont work only three and four but when the whistle noise appears airflow gets restricted until i bang the glove box, sounds like a leaf is stuck but have took it to bits and cant find any blockages, please help its doing my head in :angry:

pheelay
27-11-12, 08:00 PM
The heater only working on settings 3 and 4 should be the heater resistor pack failed. Common issue and quick search on the site should find the answer :rambo:

For the whistle noise, try take out the cabin air-filter. Remove the glovebox (2 10mm bolts) then remove the brace behind it (4 small bolts). The air filter is behind that and just pulls out. May need changing or perhaps as you say, there's something in there that shouldn't be.

Welcome to the site ;)

buchan4042
28-11-12, 04:25 PM
thanks very much, will tackle that the next and dry day off

andys1981
28-11-12, 05:50 PM
welcome to the site mate,theres a few of us nearby aswell,as already sayed the resistor packs goosed by the sound of it,even try and take the motor out,leaves etc sometimes get stuck in there,give it a clean out,hope it helps!

buchan4042
30-11-12, 04:26 PM
took glove box out and took the motor to bits, it had a few leaves, stems and stones in it, when i checked the other side there was a piece of wire :-s got rid of it all and seems to have stopped the whistle and improved the airflow, just need to get a new resistor and new wiring to the horn and it'll be all good, got front fog lights to fit aswell and blue caliper paint, for first time im happy with a car, but thanks a lot for the advice on the whistle

andys1981
30-11-12, 04:28 PM
good stuff mate,glad it was an easy fix

Ritchy
30-11-12, 04:33 PM
be worthwhile changing the pollen filter as well, can cause the resistors to fail if they become blocked up

buchan4042
01-12-12, 02:05 PM
had a look at the filters and all seem to be clean enough, need to hunt for a flexi screwdriver to get the foglight covers off and get the new foglights on, got new headlight units too but stuff taking bumpers off to fit them so they'll be on ebay soon