PDA

View Full Version : Mg Zs supercharged

buff-1
30-11-12, 06:07 PM
Looking for a supercharger zs does anyone know someone selling one?

talkingcars
30-11-12, 06:09 PM
There are only a handful of reliable conversions running and they don't come up very often.

sneekyparrot
30-11-12, 06:23 PM
Must admit I do miss mine! :-(

P.

buff-1
30-11-12, 07:06 PM
well i will pay 1,000,000 million yen for 1. only joking i really want one i wonder what happened to the blue one that was up for sale recently

petet16
30-11-12, 07:20 PM
well i will pay 1,000,000 million yen for 1. only joking i really want one i wonder what happened to the blue one that was up for sale recently

sold to someone on the forum

buff-1
30-11-12, 11:38 PM
awwww :(

sneekyparrot
01-12-12, 06:15 AM
Mine went abroad with Alex an mg nut from Luxembourg along with a spare charger and a load of spares but at
Least I know it went to a good home.

There was also a red mk2 up for sale not do
Long back but no idea where it went, owned and built by a mechanic think it was alcester / studley way just outside brum.

They do go well, I recorded a couple of short acceleration runs if you tube supercharged zs180.

Just to wet the appetite lol.

P.

big_wasa
01-12-12, 06:50 AM
My charger went to Italy so I doubt there are even a handfull of chargers in the uk.

buff-1
01-12-12, 01:29 PM
heart break i dont care where it is either a supercharged one or the yellow one on here but dont think its goina work out i may just keep my desiel for a while

Supercharged_Z
01-12-12, 03:46 PM
you wont find a supercharged ZS for sale round here I think there are 3 kits left in the UK.

One Drew has, One is on the blue car and One I do not know.

To be fair while the HP is more over a quarter mile its only 4mph quicker anyway so just invest in a V6 with good mods if you can find one :)

I have for sale one that would be more reliable and cheaper to run than a supercharged car and probably wouldnt be far behind. Just a shame it dosnt whine

buff-1
01-12-12, 10:09 PM
are the kits still for sale?

Supercharged_Z
01-12-12, 10:22 PM
No.

Kits were sold of about 4 years ago.

WalkerDnB
01-12-12, 10:25 PM
better off finding one with t16 conversion than a supercharged one anyway

Supercharged_Z
01-12-12, 10:53 PM
T16 wouldnt give any power perfomance benefit over a 180 tbh. so better of with a 180 with the right mods.

WalkerDnB
01-12-12, 10:58 PM
T16 wouldnt give any power perfomance benefit over a 180 tbh. so better of with a 180 with the right mods.

well the T16 produces more power than the 180 and has more potential
If your willing to spend money on a super charger then a t16 is the way to go imo

Lukeus101
01-12-12, 11:06 PM
A T-16 is an ancient lump and isnt that tuneable unless you have hefty pockets. I know people that a spent thousands on a T series to simply gain 80bhp. Not worth it.

Smokey
01-12-12, 11:16 PM
So what is recommended for a 250bhp+ ZS for least amount of money spent?

WalkerDnB
01-12-12, 11:18 PM
A T-16 is an ancient lump and isnt that tuneable unless you have hefty pockets. I know people that a spent thousands on a T series to simply gain 80bhp. Not worth it.

Ive seen mildy modified t16's burn past focus st's
hmm I dont know maybe it was a strong engine or something

Lukeus101
01-12-12, 11:35 PM
I can agree with you on that on the fact that my missus built her ZR Turbo and now owns an ST lol. HP wise it was similar but the weight ratio was in the MG's favour

WalkerDnB
01-12-12, 11:44 PM
I can agree with you on that on the fact that my missus built her ZR Turbo and now owns an ST lol. HP wise it was similar but the weight ratio was in the MG's favour

yeah 18k worth of focus st beaten by a rover 400 estate turbo

the st owner was not best pleased lol

Supercharged_Z
01-12-12, 11:46 PM
well the T16 produces more power than the 180 and has more potential
If your willing to spend money on a super charger then a t16 is the way to go imo

What your ignoring is the age of this engine.

I will give you some facts.

A friend ran a std nasp Zs up santa pod and did consistent 14.9 quarter miles.

I took a nasp zs up the strip with reduced weight and ran a 14.3

I ran a striped zs out with 210 hp and ran a 13.7

I ran a striped (lighter than the nasp) supercharged zs up the strip many times and managed to get 13.5 after 3 years. (260BHP!!)

go and look for a T16 up the strip. Honestly Power is not everything and I know pub talk means a lot to people but a decent 200bhp KV6 will see off a 250bhp T16 every day.

So the T16 can be pushed to 300bhp? I wouldn't bother the cost and benefit if any outweigh the cost. you end up needing serious chassis development, brake developmentand so on. Fact is (me included) the ZS in KV6 form is still very track agile and I doubt many of us could push it beyond its limitations in the right circumstances (115mph down craners on road tyres for example!!!)

I have witnessed so much pure ***** in my time with these cars (03 onwards)

Honestly a T16 is well passed it. do the right mods to a KV6 and say goodbye.

Ross

edit for what its worth I have owned all of the above cars.

180BHP ZS NASP

190BHP ZS NASP

230 BHP ZS SUPERCHARGED

260 BHP ZS SUPERCHARGED

210 BHP ZS NASP (CAMS ETC) X 2

Many T16 cars

Supercharged_Z
01-12-12, 11:56 PM
I was told something a few years ago and at the time i ignored it. infact the owner probably realized himself he pushed the ZS chassis to the max.

power is nothing without control

i.e power is not everything, even in a straight line the chassis has a lot to do with the power it puts down

WalkerDnB
01-12-12, 11:58 PM
Im only going on what Ive experienced and that a few seriously fast fast T16's
Have to admit though the 180 has surprised me with just how fast it is
It seems to keep up with cars it really shouldn't
had a little play with a clio 197 (on a private road of course) it had nothing on the 180 just couldn't keep up :D
my car has a few mild mods

buff-1
02-12-12, 12:01 AM
id love to contact sprintex see if they would make an order for them lol probly not, but this thread will end up about T16 V 180s/ superchargered ones lol

Supercharged_Z
02-12-12, 12:03 AM
for the posts reference 250 burning St's etc

A focus ST weighs how much?

A T16 car weight how much?

Honestly this engine is past it, a 250 bhp car that weighs a tonne does not breeze past another 250bhp car that weighs a tonne. There is a reason for it.

For anybody reading this thread and you have a 250 BHP T16 I would put my 210 bhp KV6 up against it at the strip and a track day all day everyday if you like?

Honestly stick with a kv6

Supercharged_Z
02-12-12, 12:07 AM
Im only going on what Ive experienced and that a few seriously fast fast T16's
Have to admit though the 180 has surprised me with just how fast it is
It seems to keep up with cars it really shouldn't
had a little play with a clio 197 (on a private road of course) it had nothing on the 180 just couldn't keep up :D
my car has a few mild mods

I have experienced 300bhp T16 cars which would out run a ZS 180 for sure but it will not put the power down as you wish, it will rip the chassis to bits, it will break down, and will be very old. All this against a stage one 200bhp ZS? is it worth it?

Dave_V6 for me did everything that was needed for a ZS. Showed that in modified form it ran for years and years without major issue at 210BHP.

Stuck a 300bhp Audi engine in there and it broke down each track day, coil packs, water pump, overheated brakes, turbo problems.
I saw it all.

Anyway that's my opinion but I based it on facts over the past 8 years.

WalkerDnB
02-12-12, 12:09 AM
For anybody reading this thread and you have a 250 BHP T16 I would put my 210 bhp KV6 up against it at the strip and a track day all day everyday if you like?

Thats a challenge that should be posted on rovertech :p

Im not going to argue with you
Ive never personally owned a t16 just had mates that have and never seen a supercharged kv6 so you know more than me

Supercharged_Z
02-12-12, 12:09 AM
id love to contact sprintex see if they would make an order for them lol probly not, but this thread will end up about T16 V 180s/ superchargered ones lol

The charger unit from OPCON is NLA

Opcon made the screw unit and supplied sprintex, it was one of there smallest units anyway they stoped making these around 4 years ago....

Plus as mentioned before. Very little point.

Supercharged_Z
02-12-12, 12:11 AM
Thats a challenge that should be posted on rovertech :p

Im not going to argue with you
Ive never personally owned a t16 just had mates that have and never seen a supercharged kv6 so you know more than me

Thing is i dont need a challenge. Without sounding bigheaded. I have been there and done it. look at quarter mile times of a 250bhp T16 for example.

Il say it again

Power is nothing without control

Drew
02-12-12, 12:14 AM
i could sell you my charger, but not my car. i still have a few things to try though.

whats with the T16 bashing. you know it was released after the K4!

Drew

Supercharged_Z
02-12-12, 12:16 AM
I would buy it as i have unfinished business but be quick

No t16 bashing just stating experience!

one thing i noticed is, you don't need the torque!

buff-1
02-12-12, 12:18 AM
awwk all i wish is that they wer still avaiable :(. just butting it in their the KV6 is some engine, but T16 was some engine when it was new. the Zs 180 pulls like a train all the time tho just want another 1

Supercharged_Z
02-12-12, 12:20 AM
get one with the right kit and it pulls almost the same as a charged one anyway. just without the bangs. lol

Supercharged_Z
02-12-12, 12:21 AM
get one with the right kit and it pulls almost the same as a charged one anyway. just without the bangs. lol

even if they were available the last RRP was well over 4k IIRC... would you pay that for one?!

sneekyparrot
02-12-12, 12:04 PM
What your ignoring is the age of this engine.

I will give you some facts.

A friend ran a std nasp Zs up santa pod and did consistent 14.9 quarter miles.

I took a nasp zs up the strip with reduced weight and ran a 14.3

I ran a striped zs out with 210 hp and ran a 13.7

I ran a striped (lighter than the nasp) supercharged zs up the strip many times and managed to get 13.5 after 3 years. (260BHP!!)

go and look for a T16 up the strip. Honestly Power is not everything and I know pub talk means a lot to people but a decent 200bhp KV6 will see off a 250bhp T16 every day.

So the T16 can be pushed to 300bhp? I wouldn't bother the cost and benefit if any outweigh the cost. you end up needing serious chassis development, brake developmentand so on. Fact is (me included) the ZS in KV6 form is still very track agile and I doubt many of us could push it beyond its limitations in the right circumstances (115mph down craners on road tyres for example!!!)

I have witnessed so much pure ***** in my time with these cars (03 onwards)

Honestly a T16 is well passed it. do the right mods to a KV6 and say goodbye.

Ross

edit for what its worth I have owned all of the above cars.

180BHP ZS NASP

190BHP ZS NASP

230 BHP ZS SUPERCHARGED

260 BHP ZS SUPERCHARGED

210 BHP ZS NASP (CAMS ETC) X 2

Many T16 cars

Wow!
new you had a few zs's but that makes my 4 seem small lol!

P.

Quadcam24
02-12-12, 12:12 PM
forget tuning the old & dated zs.

If you want real driving thrills for a reasonable outlay, spend your money on a Megane R26 F1 230.

sneekyparrot
02-12-12, 12:13 PM
Stuck a 300bhp Audi engine in there and it broke down each track day, coil packs, water pump, overheated brakes, turbo problems.
I saw it all.

Hoping the rebuild with all the new parts / chassis upgrades should resolve 99% of the issues, the troublesome coil packs are being dumped!

P.

sneekyparrot
02-12-12, 12:19 PM
forget tuning the old & dated zs.

If you want real driving thrills for a reasonable outlay, spend your money on a Megane R26 F1 230.

nice motor!

i was looking a seat cupra r's before the Vag ZS came along. Still i want to run it for a couple of seasons before upgrading, by then i should of found my feet on 4 wheels :-)

P.

redzed
02-12-12, 12:48 PM
for me the t16 argument is easily solved by what u want to do with the zs, adding a few bhp is good not tho if it means adding another 30 plus kgs over the front wheels, means extra stress on the chassis and worse handling. but thats just me because i want it to go fast round a track. drag strip is a different matter, fst road is also a different matter as u cant get near limits (ubnless youre an idiot!) so its all about top trumphs arguing with guys about power figures

buff-1
02-12-12, 01:23 PM
i probly would pay that knowing me but the fact is i would need someone to fit it but it seems like illl never have 1. :( but as for the KV6 its a lighter engine with less power than the T16 but the KV6 has a more constane power deliverly all over the rev range.

Nobrainer
02-12-12, 02:22 PM
[=Drew;285001]i could sell you my charger, but not my car. i still have a few things to try though.

whats with the T16 bashing. you know it was released after the K4!

Drew[/QUOTE]

That sounds like an offer to sell...

petet16
02-12-12, 04:37 PM
Amusing read:-D

Drew
03-12-12, 07:35 PM
it is, but ive got more things to try on it atm. will eventually fit my TB's instead, then my 2.8.

then T16 as its the only way forward!

Drew