PDA

View Full Version : Salvage yard just offered me £120 for the ZS

littlened
04-12-12, 12:32 PM
Can't believe it, thought it might of been at least £250.

I reckon i could make £300 just by selling the seats, manifold, calipers and cam sensor.

stamford
04-12-12, 12:46 PM
£120! They are having you on.

littlened
04-12-12, 12:48 PM
£120! They are having you on.

They say they've just bought the same car off someone else this morning for £120 so can offer me the same.

It's daft, the cars running, with 10 months MOT, it just needs someone to sort the timing, I'll sort it if I have to, but I was hoping for £400.

Might stick it on ebay and see what happens.

petet16
04-12-12, 01:00 PM
I wouldn't try and sell it if it isn't running properly, it just gives prospective buyers a stick to beat you with.

fastmike
04-12-12, 01:05 PM
What colour is it etc ?
saloon? reg year ?

condition ? apart from the engine issue

littlened
04-12-12, 01:13 PM
What colour is it etc ?
saloon? reg year ?

condition ? apart from the engine issue

2001 - 51 plate
Silver

Condition wise, the seats are half leather with blue on them, in really good condition.

Externally, the drivers side rear door has had a bit of a knock, so could do with a new door.

http://www.web-development-server.com/forsale/zs1.jpg

http://www.web-development-server.com/forsale/zs2.jpg

http://www.web-development-server.com/forsale/zs3.jpg

http://www.web-development-server.com/forsale/zs4.jpg

http://www.web-development-server.com/forsale/zs5.jpg

fastmike
04-12-12, 01:20 PM
Thats a tidy looking car ....... why dont you persevere with it ?

littlened
04-12-12, 01:26 PM
Thats a tidy looking car ....... why dont you persevere with it ?

Because I'm getting rid of my pride and joy (MG TF), so I want to replace it with another car I can treat as my price and joy, and sadly, being a mark one I'm just not 'into' this car.

Personally, I think apart from the engine issue, and the dent in the door, I think it's a really decent car.

I'm going to speak to my mechanic sometime and see how much he'd charge to put the timing right, or I'll do it myself. Then maybe sell it on.

But would be much easier if I could sell it to someone as a project for £400, but I don't know it's that's just being very optimistic.

talkingcars
04-12-12, 03:45 PM
You're lucky they offered you that much.

Does the car have any MOT?

littlened
04-12-12, 03:51 PM
You're lucky they offered you that much.

Does the car have any MOT?

Yep, 10 months and 4-5 months tax

MG ZS STE
04-12-12, 03:55 PM
Can't you get any money back from the dodgy engine you were sold?

littlened
04-12-12, 04:02 PM

It's way out of it's warranty now.

The engine just looks like it needs the timing putting right, once that's done it should be a decent car.

I'm having a serious think about what to do at the minute. If I fix the timing, and tidy the car up a little it'll definitely be sellable.

It's just hard at the minute because we're trying to decorate every room in the house before the baby arrives, and I'm absolutely stacked up with work, but I also can't justify throwing more money at the car, so if I fix the timing, I'll have to do it myself.

talkingcars
04-12-12, 04:02 PM

I'm still owned money from the same source from years ago, good luck with that one.

Supercharged_Z
04-12-12, 04:38 PM
so was the engine dodgey in the end? or had you done anything to it?

Ritchy
04-12-12, 04:42 PM
Thats what happens when you go to scrap a car, its irrelevent whether its runnong or has mot because its getting scrapped

Nobrainer
04-12-12, 04:51 PM
If its not running then anyone is going to believe its terminal. And if they can't drive it then there could also be other problems that aren't visible so the best price you'll get really is going to be scrap value. Can you not put off decorating every single room. Its only a baby after all and this is your car we're talking about! :-)

littlened
04-12-12, 07:03 PM
so was the engine dodgey in the end? or had you done anything to it?

I have done nothing at all with the engine other than drop it in. I am assuming somewhere along the lines the timing has jumped a tooth maybe. I have not touched the timing belts.

littlened
04-12-12, 07:05 PM
If its not running then anyone is going to believe its terminal. And if they can't drive it then there could also be other problems that aren't visible so the best price you'll get really is going to be scrap value. Can you not put off decorating every single room. Its only a baby after all and this is your car we're talking about! :-)

The car runs and is belng used as a daily driver, it just only revs to 5500 rpm.

It looks like my wife, probably rightly is going to make me sell the TF before I buy another car, so it looks like I will have Saturday to try and put the timing right.

Eastwood29
04-12-12, 07:25 PM
Its worth £200 as scrap. Take it to a actual scrap metal yard that accepts cars not a car breakers yard. The breakers offered me £50 for my old 214 sei wedge. I turned them down and drove the car with log book, to a large scrap metal yard . They weighed it and offered £195. They wasn't bothered about any parts that was missing (bumpers,interior ect) just the weight of metal. And that i had the log book.

fastmike
04-12-12, 08:12 PM
It would be a crying shame to scrap that

daytona365
04-12-12, 08:39 PM
Whats wrong with MK1's??????????????????????

Skillen
04-12-12, 10:05 PM
I stopped seein a great condition zt 190 being out onto a tow truck and asked the guy how much they have him for it £150 he said so I offered him £250 and the salvage guy said it was his now it was on the truck!
Everything was great about it in good knick but he said the engine lost its oil! I'd have had it in bits!
Worth nothing apparently cars

littlened
05-12-12, 06:02 AM
Whats wrong with MK1's??????????????????????

I just think Mk1's look a bit dated.

Sadly, my wife is making me raise the money for the car first before buying it, so it looks like I'm going to have to wait until the TF is sold. She's scared that I'll never sell the ZS/TF and the money will never get put back, which is understandable.

So instead of buzzing of having a looks at a car at the weekend, I'm going to be taking the timing belt off the ZS and hopefully putting it right.

Apparently, the timing belt must have jumped a tooth, so when I take the covers off and have good access to the belts, the white marks on the belt shouldn't line on somewhere. If the marks do line up, then the timing will have been done wrong and it won't of jumped.

If I can sort the timing, I'll buy some car mats for inside, replace the backbox and give it a good clean/polish.

Hopefully then I shouldn't have any problem selling it. I may even take it to the bodyshop where I took the TF and see what he can do with the door/chips down one side.

Lukeus101
05-12-12, 06:06 AM
My old scrappy in Cornwall would offer at least £250, Its a fairly insulting offer tbh mate. Id just shove it on ebay :)

gibbzy2k1
05-12-12, 10:32 AM
I got more than £120 for this... .

http://i671.photobucket.com/albums/vv74/gibbzy2k1/825%20Gold%20Coupe/13092011646.jpg

They having a laugh for a full car mate

littlened
05-12-12, 10:42 AM
I got more than £120 for this... .

http://i671.photobucket.com/albums/vv74/gibbzy2k1/825%20Gold%20Coupe/13092011646.jpg

They having a laugh for a full car mate

I did an internet quote and I can get £160 scrap.

Thing is, it would be a shame to scrap it, once the timing is sorted it'll be a nice car.

littlened
05-12-12, 01:14 PM
Sold some stuff this morning, I now have £180 in my car fund :(

It's getting there.

Nobrainer
05-12-12, 01:26 PM
Damn I gave a shell away on monday. Guy said it wasn't worth much. I was pleased he took it as the scrap yard didn't want to know without wheels

Stevedx
07-12-12, 01:13 PM
what engine size?

littlened
07-12-12, 01:36 PM
what engine size?

ZRed
07-12-12, 11:21 PM
Scrap is at the lowest it's been for years. No one building and no major events that require metal to build stadiums etc, so sadly, £120 is about right. £95 a ton 2 weeks ago. So folk have to make profit, that's their living.