PDA

View Full Version : 3 Cambelts - why only change 1?

Ippon
06-12-12, 12:23 PM
Just spoke to a 180 owner .... who has changed just the main belt, and left the others - said they were ok - sound plausible? Why would you do this?

FAQ (http://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=11254)
Cambelts are due at either 90,000 miles or 6 years, whichever comes soonest. There are 3 off belts here. Prices range from £350 upwards. If the car in question has no indication of a belt change be wary or negotiate the price down by around £600. If that doesn’t work, walk away!

petet16
06-12-12, 12:32 PM
If you're going to the trouble of doing the front one I can't see the point of leaving the rear ones, just my opinion.

stamford
06-12-12, 12:46 PM
Arfur job...............steer clear. Just think of all the other jobs done half-arsed................doesn't bear thinking about.

littlened
06-12-12, 12:48 PM
If you're going to the trouble of doing the front one I can't see the point of leaving the rear ones, just my opinion.

The front one are fairly easy to replace yourself, the rear ones are a little more complicated.

Maybe that's why?

stamford
06-12-12, 12:56 PM
Surely that's the opposite?

littlened
06-12-12, 12:59 PM
Surely that's the opposite?

Getting access to the big belt is more difficult, but I found changing it much easier than the rears.

petet16
06-12-12, 01:04 PM
The rears are ok if you have the cam locking kit, the biggest ballache with the front one is getting access

littlened
06-12-12, 01:06 PM
The rears are ok if you have the cam locking kit, the biggest ballache with the front one is getting access

It took me over half a day last time, just to do the one belt because you have to dismantled the left hand side of the car (almost).

Fred68
06-12-12, 09:04 PM
The front one are fairly easy to replace yourself, the rear ones are a little more complicated.

Maybe that's why?

You think? It takes me 10 minutes tops for a rear belt!! I just changed all the belts on my V6 Freelander in 4 hours ;)
I have thought about doing a how to video on changing the KV6 cam belts but not got round to it yet :(