PDA

View Full Version : Jesus Christ!!! How fast...

littlened
08-12-12, 04:09 PM
Finally, the engine problem has been resolved.

Took it out for a spin, and jesus christ it was good!!!!

There was one problem, I broke down on a dark country road. Complete loss of power to the engine.

I thought the timing belt had gone or something.

Opened the bonnet, I could smell Petrol, pipe had come off.... phew. Popped it back on (properly) and drove home.

I now can't wait to go back out in it :)

I MUST get a Mk2 now.

So, either someone did the timing wrong, or someone tampered with the engine to make the engine not perform well and cause me an absolute ball-ache.

It's took me about 5-6 hours to fix the timing, jesus, what a job.

BUCKYDEVIL
08-12-12, 04:12 PM
Nice result, your hard work paid off

fastmike
08-12-12, 04:17 PM
Well done matey .....now keep it and get some enjoyment out of it, you know it makes sense :)

petet16
08-12-12, 04:19 PM
I'm glad it's finally sorted, have to wonder why you were asked not to remove the timing covers...............hmm.

grimmy
08-12-12, 04:19 PM
Superb,its been a bit of a saga but you got there in the end well done.

andys1981
08-12-12, 04:21 PM
Nice result, your hard work paid off

well done mate,could you pm me for a price if you are selling?

littlened
08-12-12, 04:24 PM
Well done matey .....now keep it and get some enjoyment out of it, you know it makes sense :)

To be honest, I'm tempted to keep it and use some of the money I've raised to tidy it up so it's absolutely spot on, but I much prefer the look of the Mk2.

So sadly, it's definitely going up for sale sometime this week.

littlened
08-12-12, 04:26 PM
well done mate,could you pm me for a price if you are selling?

I need to sort something out with regards to price.

The back box is blowing, and there's no fob for the alarm, so I need to weigh up weather to get a fob or backbox or both and weigh that up against the price if I sell without those.

MG ZS STE
08-12-12, 04:41 PM
told you so.

littlened
08-12-12, 04:59 PM
told you so.

I don't understand how someone can get it wrong, especially the big belt, providing you mark everything up I just can't see how you can **** it like that.

stamford
08-12-12, 05:03 PM
Good to hear it is sorted but as said it shouldn't have been like that in the first place.

littlened
08-12-12, 05:13 PM
Good to hear it is sorted but as said it shouldn't have been like that in the first place.

You're right.

I don't get why there's at least two of us now who have had the same problem with an engine from the same source.

I'm no mechanic, just handy with a spanner, and even I can manage to time up the engine ok, so someone who is supposed to be great with them should have no problem.... or so you'd think.

fastmike
08-12-12, 05:39 PM
I'm glad it's finally sorted, have to wonder why you were asked not to remove the timing covers...............hmm.

I dont think theres any need to wonder .....do you ?

Quadcam24
08-12-12, 05:42 PM
how can anyone have access to your engine to be able to time it up wrong, or had you taken it for a belt service ?

petet16
08-12-12, 05:47 PM
how can anyone have access to your engine to be able to time it up wrong, or had you taken it for a belt service ?

It's a long story

caled
08-12-12, 05:50 PM

His original thread (http://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=22084)

littlened
08-12-12, 08:10 PM

Long story involving two engine swaps.

Alan.F
09-12-12, 04:19 AM
is it a saloon or hatch? if saloon i have a backbox you can have for the price of postage

littlened
09-12-12, 08:28 AM
is it a saloon or hatch? if saloon i have a backbox you can have for the price of postage

Thanks for the offer,mouth it's a hatch.

Maxfly
09-12-12, 11:26 AM
Excellent that your all sorted now, cant believe it was the timing....had forgotten all about your original thread till caled posted up that link, FFS! :(

Quadcam24
09-12-12, 04:54 PM
His original thread (http://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=22084)

well i spose i should have guessed ...so you are saying this engine was purposely sabotaged ??......you see that should amaze me, but it just doesn't anymore.

Fred68
09-12-12, 05:01 PM
I don't understand how someone can get it wrong, especially the big belt, providing you mark everything up I just can't see how you can **** it like that.

It's not a hard job to do the KV6 cam belts if you know what you are doing but easy to **** it up if you don't!!
Glad you got it sorted!!

littlened
09-12-12, 05:13 PM
well i spose i should have guessed ...so you are saying this engine was purposely sabotaged ??......you see that should amaze me, but it just doesn't anymore.

I don't know if the timing was set wrong on purpose, and there's probably no way of telling either way.

I told George about the timing being out, and he's said that he didn't do the belts on this engine, and the driver of the car it came out of was elderly, so he didn't go over 4k rpm and wouldn't of noticed the problem I was having.

Although I'm not sure how you wouldn't notice, I've just done 150 mile on £50 of fuel!!! I'm assuming it's because the engine wasn't generating the correct amount of power per explosion as it should of been.

WalkerDnB
09-12-12, 05:16 PM
I told George about the timing being out, and he's said that he didn't do the belts on this engine, and the driver of the car it came out of was elderly, so he didn't go over 4k rpm and wouldn't of noticed the problem I was having.

Thats a BS answer if I ever heard one lol

Fred68
09-12-12, 07:17 PM
I don't know if the timing was set wrong on purpose, and there's probably no way of telling either way.

Although I'm not sure how you wouldn't notice, I've just done 150 mile on £50 of fuel!!! I'm assuming it's because the engine wasn't generating the correct amount of power per explosion as it should of been.

How far out was the timing and which way and what was out?

Fred68
09-12-12, 07:21 PM

I don't see why it would be deliberately sabotaged?? If that happened he would never be able to resolve anything!! More likely poor workmanship I expect.
From what I experienced that is most likely!

Supercharged_Z
09-12-12, 08:20 PM
Lol normal bandwagon without people talking both sides of the story.

For reference the engine came from a ZT, elderly guy called Jon who's retired and does a bit of driving every now and then. He wanted to sell his car but could get the money for it so broke it.

It was marked because of the issue with the first engine, this engine had given Jon no trouble at all so there shouldn't have been a problem.

End of the day, George knows how to time a ZS180 and other KV6 engines, I know for sure he wouldn't tamper with a engine for the sake of it? what does it give him other than grief bearing in mind he had already replaced a USED engine sold in good faith ( with warranty mind) FOC (so im told)

anyway I'm glad you sorted it

Ross

p.s i have posted this for a bit more or how this happened rather than defending. I am sure George has sold 50 kv6 engines in the past few years with no come backs, just so happens this one caused some bother.