View Full Version : brands trackday

Steve mead
13-12-12, 09:28 AM
a very wet track day

lots of understeer

http://youtu.be/jR5GI_vJWG0

stamford
13-12-12, 09:59 AM
A few wiggles going on! You are driving very relaxed, one handed and not much grip, I'm the opposite, both hands gripping at all times when on track. A challenging track that, keeps you on your toes when it's full.

Steve mead
13-12-12, 10:10 AM
Only needed two hands occasionally, it was alot wetter than it looks. It was a relaxed drive in the country really. Might be dry next time, alot of other cars slowed us down. Alot more relaxed from my formula ford days.

redzed
13-12-12, 05:01 PM
i can tell youve got a saloon not a hatch. what tyres do you have on there? shocking grip from them, nice calm driving by the way! you driven faster stuff then?

Noobrider
13-12-12, 05:43 PM
bit of a moment at 11 mins. Looked good fun, plenty of power against the tf's

Smokey
13-12-12, 06:00 PM
Looks like fun though. Had a few hairy moments in the wet at Knockhill!

splinter
13-12-12, 06:13 PM
You planning to do any days with these guys next year? They've released provisional dates now
Looking at trying to get to 4 or 5 next year.

Smokey
13-12-12, 06:47 PM
I hope so but it's up to members on the site getting together early to plan it. Once the new engine is in, I'll be making plans to get things up and running again.

I'd love to travel down south so hope there is more interest than last year.

Lukeus101
13-12-12, 07:24 PM
Looks like a lot of fun :D

Dan1971
13-12-12, 07:32 PM
Sounds good .... Your car standard ?

Planning for a few taster sessions next year in the red shed ..... Santa's gonna step up I reckon .... ;)

peterzs
13-12-12, 07:32 PM
Pity it was so wet, but the car went well, sounded good as well.

:smile2::smile2::smile2:

daytona365
13-12-12, 08:24 PM
Sounds good .... Your car standard ?

Planning for a few taster sessions next year in the red shed ..... Santa's gonna step up I reckon .... ;)
I did one taster session back in March, and cant wait to do more...........do the same day, and I will promise not to lap you ..........:strongbench:

Steve mead
13-12-12, 11:33 PM
Ok well I shall answer some questions now I;m back from work. The car is totally standard apart from a bmc induction kit. yes I have driven faster things namely formula ford back mid 90s 3 champion of brands race wins and numurous fastest laps. Now for the big one, although the car had pretty shagged out tyres it's prob the worst thing I have driven round brands. But it was bloody good fun. Car is now off the road while we decide what to do with it.

Smokey
14-12-12, 12:05 AM
Now you can't give a sweeping statement like that without giving some reasons!!!

What made it a terrible drive?

Steve mead
14-12-12, 01:28 AM
front wheel drive prob. The track itself felt like it had fairy liquid all over it. Also found out from my old mate now chief instructor that the track had been chemically treated to absorb oil and rubbish. They don;t think it has worked very well. Now if the Zs had been rear wheel drive then it could have been steered with power. Will be interesting to see if we can sort things out on the car to make it better.

Smokey
14-12-12, 02:20 AM
And test it in the dry :)

Steve mead
14-12-12, 09:15 AM
Have you done any suspension mods to the car up there?

redzed
14-12-12, 10:18 AM
Ok well I shall answer some questions now I;m back from work. The car is totally standard apart from a bmc induction kit. yes I have driven faster things namely formula ford back mid 90s 3 champion of brands race wins and numurous fastest laps. Now for the big one, although the car had pretty shagged out tyres it's prob the worst thing I have driven round brands. But it was bloody good fun. Car is now off the road while we decide what to do with it.

something is seriously wrong with the set up of the car if you think its the worst handling car youve driven?! so its all standard?

Steve mead
14-12-12, 10:49 AM
The in car camera don't really show how wet it is apart from if you look how shiny the track looked. It was still the fastest zed out there but as a racer it was not a good car to drive in the wet. It needs £600 worth of tyres and neg camber. That sort of money eventually will be more than the car is worth so the dilemma is what to do.

Nobrainer
14-12-12, 11:01 AM
I'm sure you know what your talking about Steve but pants tyres are never going to handle well. The negative camber is relatively easy to sort with some Honda bits I think.
What are the tyres that are on it?

stamford
14-12-12, 12:03 PM
For the record Brands used to have ZS180 saloon school cars as that was the first time I had driven a ZS. The tuitors said they were great handling cars even back then. I have to say the ZS handles very well on track, even in standard trim, and I am comparing that to other cars I have used on track that have had far more work and money thrown at them. I have never felt uncomfortable in my ZS or nervy. Pretty sure many will remember me flying through Surtees not lifting off.

Steve mead
14-12-12, 01:16 PM
Mick was that the surtees as it used to be or the surtees after bottom bend conversion?

stamford
14-12-12, 01:59 PM
Mick was that the surtees as it used to be or the surtees after bottom bend conversion?

No idea, was a few years back when I first ran it (poss 10 yrs) then about 3 years ago I think last time. I just remember asking myself why everyone was backing off leaving Cooper Straight before entering Surtees when I just kept the pedal in. Getting the right line through Clearways into Clark Curve got me everytime. Paddock Hill Bend................never had big enough balls to take that as I wanted as dearly wished to drive home in the zed afterwards! :laugh: A track I do love for its quick and busy laps and lots of people getting tied up in knots. No idea what a decent laptime is there, I'll need to dig out some times I did in the Palmer Audi.

redzed
14-12-12, 02:25 PM
The in car camera don't really show how wet it is apart from if you look how shiny the track looked. It was still the fastest zed out there but as a racer it was not a good car to drive in the wet. It needs £600 worth of tyres and neg camber. That sort of money eventually will be more than the car is worth so the dilemma is what to do.

true but also worth noting is that with a few mods the zs will out do most regular performance cars, yes it might cost more than the car is worth but theyre worth nothing now so more of an option to mod as replacing bits is easy. What else could be so potent a track weapon for such little price?

daytona365
14-12-12, 07:50 PM
Its just such an alround motor!!!!!!!!!!!!! Im happy to keep my road standard, but blast it round the tracks everynow and then, happy in the knowledge that it has the pedigree to stay on the blackstuff and put a big grin on my face.

What we need now is our very own forum test track!!!!!!

Steve mead
15-12-12, 07:28 AM
Lets go and offer Palmer some money to buy Brands, your loaded Daytona!

daytona365
16-12-12, 08:54 PM
Lets go and offer Palmer some money to buy Brands, your loaded Daytona!

OMG............I'd love to own Brands Hatch.....My ideal fantasy......:thumbsup:

Steve mead
16-12-12, 09:04 PM
You would then have to own a yellow helicopter.

daytona365
16-12-12, 09:15 PM
Yellow would be the company logo, get rid of the red MSV, replace it with YELLOW GDT, discounted tickets for yellow ZS's.......................

peterzs
17-12-12, 09:29 AM
Sounds a plan, and I'll have a ticket. Ta.

stamford
17-12-12, 11:08 AM
Yellow would be the company logo, get rid of the red MSV, replace it with YELLOW GDT, discounted tickets for yellow ZS's.......................

Oh that's not nice! :laugh: