PDA

View Full Version : My time in the ZS 180 has come to an end

Stev180
22-12-12, 06:01 PM
Hi everyone, some of you will know I have only really used the site over the past year since owning my own MG ZS 180. I would like to thank anyone who has helped me on here and the information I have read has increased my knowledge since joining. I must say I covered about 7,000 miles in the past year with no faults at all. In that time I only had to change the front wipers and oil/filter change. I have only had MGR cars since passing my test in 2006 and felt like I needed an upgrade.

Always had a soft spot for the MK5 Golf R32 but being so expensive its not justifiable, earlier in the year I helped my bro find a A3 3.2 V6 (took 4 months to find the right one) and I must say I have been on the look out for one everyday since then. Found one Tuesday night (just listed on Autotrader), travelled Weds (left a deposit) and Thursday it was mine!

Brilliant Black, Audi A3 3.2 V6 S LINE (including front and rear bumpers) Manual, 1 owner since new, full Audi SH, all Audi invoices, 43,000 miles, im really impressed with it. The BOSE stereo is out of this world (well compared to the MGR stuff anyway!) Only thing that is going to kill me is the £460 tax as its a 56 2006 plate (I have paid for the year)

I start a new job in the new year doing 40 miles a day and cant think of anything better for me.

http://i883.photobucket.com/albums/ac39/Stev160/Untitled.jpg

http://i883.photobucket.com/albums/ac39/Stev160/20121220_124339-1.jpg

Thanks again everyone. I still love MG's and may return to the ZS 180 if dad decides to change his car (celestial blue 180). But now its seems I have made the right choice.

Dan1971
22-12-12, 06:08 PM
Nice car mate - not one I'd have chosen, but if you like it that's all that counts I suppose. Read about these the other day when I was reading an old road test. It was up against a few GT types including the ZT V8, M3, Megane 225, and a Monaro ....

ZT260 won the test.... Won't say where the Audi was placed ....

talkingcars
22-12-12, 07:24 PM
Clean looking car but it wouldn't be my first choice either, personally I'd rather have a Rover or MG over an Audi or VW and I worked for the local VW/Audi dealer as a driver for 3 years.

Stev180
22-12-12, 07:28 PM
Cheers, im 23 so a 3-door hatch like this is perfect imo, not sure why they would put the Megane in the same road test as an M3? Surprisied that the ZT won as im sure I have a old MGR article that stated the 260 is two thirds of an M3 lol

Stev180
22-12-12, 07:31 PM
Clean looking car but it wouldn't be my first choice either, personally I'd rather have a Rover or MG over an Audi or VW and I worked for the local VW/Audi dealer as a driver for 3 years.

Thanks, why do you think that? How about if given the money would you still choose MGR over Audi/VW? I can see why I have paid so much for an Audi compared to how much our 180's are worth, im happy with the difference.

bowthruster
22-12-12, 08:00 PM
Very nice car.I must say that my dad has always had vw but mainly audi's all his life,and he's never had any trouble.Guess hes lucky! All the best:smile1: and enjoy driving before the goverment puts it beyond reach for us normal people

Quadcam24
22-12-12, 08:14 PM
it may not be every one's first choice but no'one can deny its 10 times the car that any zs 180 is, they're not even comparable.
The zs might be a little more nimble through a series of bends but everywhere else the audi is leagues ahead and given a choice of the 2 no'one would take the zs, even for the simple fact you could sell the audi and buy 10 zs ....and that fact alone says it all.
I understand brand loyalty but for anyone who is prepared to remove the blinkers and take a look , they will find a whole new level compared to anything mgr.
i was blinkered when i had my zs, but ive since experienced many more brands and believe me the grass really is greener over there !

petet16
22-12-12, 08:24 PM
Considering the zs is based on an 18 year old design it is hardly surprising that the Audi is better in so many ways.

peterzs
22-12-12, 08:54 PM
Think its just the MG thing, we all know that our cars are old school now, but we love them for what they are.

Never going to be able to compare them to newer models, but put 10 years on the new modern cars and will they have the following our ZS's, or ZR's, have now??

Car choice is up to the individual and I say good luck and enjoy whatever you drive, just that I like the MG brand and all the fun that brings!!!

A3 looks good and have fun.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

talkingcars
22-12-12, 09:06 PM
I'm pleased for Steve, he has found a car he likes - if we all liked the same thing the roads would be full of mk1 zs saloons in TY.

Call me strange but I like a car with a bit of personality. In the 3 years I drove 10 or more newish VW's and Audi's plus other makes every day and very few stuck in the mind, the most memorable one was a 10 year old mk2 Golf GTi 4 door in oak green. Taking the maestro as an example as I've owned more of these than any other single model of car, each one was different, each one had it's own traits. When I was working there I changed from a 1600 maestro to a 2.0i monty estate, comparable car was a passat estate but they were only 5 seaters or an audi 100 estate.........

vanishing days
22-12-12, 09:23 PM
Nice looking car I've had a ago in one very quick car my friend has one nice interior two

ZSONE80
22-12-12, 09:36 PM
Think its just the MG thing, we all know that our cars are old school now, but we love them for what they are.

Never going to be able to compare them to newer models, but put 10 years on the new modern cars and will they have the following our ZS's, or ZR's, have now??

Car choice is up to the individual and I say good luck and enjoy whatever you drive, just that I like the MG brand and all the fun that brings!!!

A3 looks good and have fun.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Here here, well said that man!

Pinto
22-12-12, 10:16 PM
I've only been a 'S owner for a few weeks but I know I made the right choice ( I knew I wanted one when they launched in 01) - and as others have said - its a character thing; to me audi is a sterile, souless brand made by people who concentrate on the mechanics of driving rather than the spirit of it. Its a common theme with most car manafacturers these days tho.

I will give you that what you now have is efficient, effortless transportation in living room style comfort between A & B - but I actually like to drive a car myself - not the other way round :) (Mk4 R32's are sweet !.... but that aweful 4motion tranny ruins a decent engine - now a nice 2wd VR6.....strap on a GT30 or rotrex...... ooooh yeah !!!)

Audi's also attract a...... certain type of driver (no implication lol - you've already shown you have taste in motors :thumbsup: - tho I must say dont forget what the little stalk with arrows on the steering column does and if you drive down my neck of the woods with your foglights on in non-fog condition I'll be getting my hammer out..... ;) )

Dont forget ya roots !

Stev180
23-12-12, 04:17 PM
Thanks for all the comments I have read them all, this is why I love this site, everyone gives an opinion without being to serious and no arguments :)

Pinto, trust me you have to drive the car I have got, its a lot of fun! However if I went for the DSG version I would have agreed with you! I always thought it was the BMW drivers who had faulty indicator stalks and Audi drivers for tailgating lol

These are the MGR cars I have had - which have all had a lot of OE mods added on/subtle touches apart from my current 180 as its how I wanted it:

2006-2007 - Rover Coupe 1.6
2007-2008 - ZR 105
2008-2011 - ZR 160
2012 - Current ZS 180 but have had the Audi for a few days.

Im still an MGR nut at heart but want to try something different!

http://i883.photobucket.com/albums/ac39/Stev160/20121223_152748.jpg

Pinto
23-12-12, 05:34 PM
In my experience, the indicator thing crosses most german manafacturers - I think its because they deem themselves above informing the common riffraff of their intention to change direction (and yes, they DO own the road, dont ya know.... ;) )

stamford
23-12-12, 08:53 PM
Having owned near on 60 cars since '83 I do not suffer brand loyalty as such but have tried many marques including Audi. Nice car and a nice spec as well, not what I would buy but that is only down to my needs. I was looking at the A6 Allroad to replace the Disco but the hatch area was not big enough! Enjoy the car and the refinement it brings you, different class and no-one can compare the Audi to any MG in my book. The MG is an aquired taste and should never been compared to far superior cars, it is what it is and for me the MG fills a void in my life quite nicely. I have 'another' brand for my everyday driving, not an Audi but does a very nice job. :D

ian zs180
24-12-12, 11:29 AM
Nice car you got yourself there mate gotta say i agree you cant compare the mg to the audi the audi is much better built but driving wise as in fun quick driving the zs is a match for many of the modern cars round the twisties the zed still has a great chassis and can still hold its own enjoy your audi anyway mate i,m sure you will