PDA

View Full Version : A Very Happy Christmas Had by me... errrr NOT!

ZS
27-12-12, 09:53 AM
So this Christmas the following happened...

1. Alarm problems have got worse, now the alarm sounds 15 seconds after setting it so I have to put it in Valet mode (might as well not have an alarm) to stop the issues.

2. Went through a puddle and I think I supercooled the exhaust as now it is blowing in multiple places - is stainless steel exhaust too!

3. Clutch hydraulics exploded on me on way home yesterday (slave is fubared and so is the bracket), so had to drive 250 miles without a clutch! Stuck my backup set on in the dark last night, solved the issue temporarily, I can see the slave is starting to crack already

4. Numberplate bulbs don't work any more and holes have been cut so can't fit the new units I purchased, so now need to bond them to the bumper

5. Have discovered a clicking noise coming from front, drivers side of car under any breaking or accelerating\decelerating, needs looking at before I go on a long journey again.

6. MOT is coming up (booked for 16th Jan) and most of the above need sorting by then.

7. Mobile phone decided it no longer likes me and the phone speaker (one that goes to your ear, not the loud speaker) and the headphone jack no longer work, so my choice for phone calls is limited to loud speaker or bluetooth headset, how annoying can it be!

8. My tenant called to tell me that the roof is leaking quite badly... Looks like some re-pointing work is needed around the chimney!

On the plus side it seems my luck never runs out, shame its bad luck all the time though! :rofl:

So... Who has a spare sheddist kit I can nab? or can tell me what parts I need to do a DIY version of it?

Also any other ideas for the other issues would be greatly received!

talkingcars
27-12-12, 10:02 AM
Slightly frustrating. :(

Craig-ZS180
27-12-12, 10:04 AM
I hope you manage to get it all sorted, not at all what you want happening around this time.

peterzs
27-12-12, 10:14 AM
Maybe getting rid of all the bad luck in 2012 and 2013 will be Bad Luck free and Good Luck will rule!!!!!!!!!!!

:beer2::beer2:

Dan1971
27-12-12, 10:15 AM
Nightmare ..... Nothing I can do to help I'm afraid pal .... :console:

stamford
27-12-12, 10:54 AM
Sorry Sam, don't have any info on the clutch parts, if it helps I do have an OE master and a couple of brackets. Seems to be the time for alarms to be playing up, my girls Golf is forever dying on her and being a Clifford she can't get in using the door locks as they are disabled!

petet16
27-12-12, 10:58 AM
The alarm may be soggy sounder, or one of the switches on the door pillars or bonnet

Dan1971
27-12-12, 10:58 AM
Get the alarm removed mate .... not worth having anyway IMHO - if someone wants your car - they'll burgle your house and take the keys ....

ZS
27-12-12, 11:15 AM
Sorry Sam, don't have any info on the clutch parts, if it helps I do have an OE master and a couple of brackets. Seems to be the time for alarms to be playing up, my girls Golf is forever dying on her and being a Clifford she can't get in using the door locks as they are disabled!

The master is fine and I have a temporary bracket on there now... its the slave that is on the way out :) - I think i will hold out for a sheddist (or list of parts) for now.. but you might get a phone call if this one goes before then! lol

The alarm may be soggy sounder, or one of the switches on the door pillars or bonnet

Soggy sounder is a definite no no for me :) Its a Clifford alarm system, but since its instant trigger that is being triggered at the moment it might be a door switch etc...

Have replaced the bonnet switch, but I remember this started after closing the boot, so will have a hunt around for the boot switch and see if it needs cleaning or something...

Get the alarm removed mate .... not worth having anyway IMHO - if someone wants your car - they'll burgle your house and take the keys ....

I have considered that, and then fixing the OE alarm up (would need new fobs etc then though...) might be an option, but I actually like this clifford when it works! lol

petet16
27-12-12, 11:22 AM
I think the switch for the boot is part of the lock mechanism

ZS
27-12-12, 12:14 PM
I think the switch for the boot is part of the lock mechanism

Ah cool... I will have a look at that then :)

I see elsewhere that some people think the Rover 620Ti Clutch hydraulics are a straight fit to the ZS... how true is this? and is it a worth while upgrade (comparable to the Sheddist kit?)

petet16
27-12-12, 12:19 PM
Not sure about 620ti being a straight swap, the master cylinder and reservoir might well swap ok, but the slave on a ti operates in the opposite direction to a 180 one so you'd need a mounting bracket to attach the slave to the gearbox casing, something very similar to the bracket that Nigel uses in his kit would work.

ZS
27-12-12, 12:29 PM
Not sure about 620ti being a straight swap, the master cylinder and reservoir might well swap ok, but the slave on a ti operates in the opposite direction to a 180 one so you'd need a mounting bracket to attach the slave to the gearbox casing, something very similar to the bracket that Nigel uses in his kit would work.

And therein lies the problem I guess... its that Mounting bracket I have no idea how to fabricate... or where to get one from...

petet16
27-12-12, 12:46 PM
If you could borrow a bracket and get it copied might work.

talkingcars
27-12-12, 12:53 PM
The freelander KV6 brackets are on ebay for £10ish.

ZS
27-12-12, 12:57 PM
The freelander KV6 brackets are on ebay for £10ish.

But they are almost identical to the standard part, are they not?

talkingcars
27-12-12, 01:06 PM
That I can't tell you.

grimmy
27-12-12, 01:13 PM
But they are almost identical to the standard part, are they not?

Yes they are Sam.I remember when Smokey was having issues with the track car clutch it was replaced by the freelander one.

talkingcars
27-12-12, 01:17 PM
even if they are identicle it should last a while, the main reason they fail is a stiff release arm puts extra pressure on them and then the welds start to fail.