PDA

View Full Version : Plans for 2013

talkingcars
28-12-12, 10:45 AM
Heres my plans for next year-

Arrange for the F to go to MJS's place in Shoreham to sort the suspension and MOT (need to ask him first).

Tax it and push it into service.

Replace the O/S/F caliper and fit the braided hoses I've had for years on the ZS.

Then take the ZS down there so he can cure the oil leak, and bleed the brakes. I will then do a proper service on sparks and filters etc.

I have ordered replacment brand new handles (and LEDs ;) ) which will need painting once they have all arrived, ordered the two offside handles yesterday from Rimmers and they are here already!

Once the Zed is back I can finish the bits on the F, apollo induction/52mm TB/cruise control/remote audio.

I shall keep my eyes open for cheap LSD and flywheel for the ZS so when the CV does fail I can get all 3 done at the same time.

I also have an eye on a roof for the F at a decent price.

At some point I'll need to refit the skirts, replace one of the rear seats as it doesn't fold and finish wiring the door handle LEDs on the ZR to keep Mrs TC happy

and once the F is on the road I am allowed to bring the maestro home as long as I wash it first, I can then draw up a list of what needs doing and do it.

What have you got planned?

stamford
28-12-12, 10:51 AM
That's a big list of things to do! Come to think of it mine is not that short either.

On the F I need to repair and respray the front bumper, maybe fit a splitter? Also need to fit a new exhaust to it and get the suspension pumped up.

The ZS needs new front lower ball joints and a few bushes replaced as I think it needs tightening up a little. LSD gearbox needs stripping and rebuilding. Might overhaul the brakes and fit new lines. Also need four new boots on it too.

Plus I have work to do on young ones Festa and most likely some work on the middle girls GTi Golf, will it ever end?

grimmy
28-12-12, 10:57 AM
Not a lot to do on mine tbh oil change,redo induction,fit catch tank,maybe look at repairing the door handles might get my tsw wheels redone and back on the mk1' s aren't really doing it for me.want it tidied up and then get Sammy to do a full photo shoot on it.

petet16
28-12-12, 11:00 AM
Only a smallish list for me, fit the skunk2 rear lca's, some poly bushes for the rear arb, heated windscreen, new rear brakes, clean up the front jacking points.

oh, and the belts for the 180, I've had all the bits for ages but haven't had the chance to get on it yet.

mrmick
28-12-12, 11:19 AM
My next job is to fit my gaz shocks i had for xmas then look at poly bushes and refit my new 18s i had for xmas last year . My wife does spoil me and my car

Dan1971
28-12-12, 11:44 AM
Drive it more ... :punk:

I have done loads since I bought it - far more than I planned and spent far too much money on it already. Like everyone though, I have a wishlist -

Induction
Decat
Lowered
Viper stripes
Alpine BT head unit
Respray

Craig-ZS180
28-12-12, 11:59 AM
Small wishlist / plans for mine

Lower with springs - Talking with site member ref these and exhaust
Stainless cat back
Mgf / tf steering wheel
Electric rear windows - Ref forum member
LCR or Laguna splitter, cant decide which i prefer
Remap
Refurb both sets of wheels and some decent tyres

talkingcars
28-12-12, 12:45 PM
Of course I forgot a couple of jobs like rebooting the bluetooth, fitting the heated front screen, swaping the aircon for mk2 climate control, finishing the cruise control, refitting the heated seat pads...............

Phate
28-12-12, 01:15 PM
Having decided I'm going to keep the Saab for the forseeable future I've decided on the following:

1) Downpipe and map adjustment - 285bhp in total.
2) Steering rack mount, guy on the saabcentral.com forums can provide one better than Maptuns shipped from America for $150 delivered. The Maptun one is £156 here.
3) Revamp the suspension. It's nearly at 150k so it'll be the usual sway bar links, ball joints, wishbones etc.
4) Wheel referb, seriously bugging me.

Thats the definite for next year, otherwise I'd like to do but not likely...

5) Change the radio for a better integrated satnav/bluetooth/mp3 - Something that looks like it was designed to fit in there, will improve the overall look of the interior.
6) There is a few bits of the interior which are suffering from 'dash peel' I'd like to tend to that, along with general tidying up of it...for the most part its absolutely fine, but there are a couple of obvious bits I'd like to sort.
7) Auto-dimming rear view mirror
8) Change the rear clusters for the face lift ones, I much prefer them!

That'll do for now :mml:

idge2003
28-12-12, 03:38 PM
First off is to finally get my old 180 stripped down and try selling a garage full of parts.

Then its time to do some bits on my present 180!

Full service
4 new tyres
Fit de-cat and induction
Fit coilovers
Fit MK2 dash (possibly!)
Give it a real proper clean up
Plus a load of other small jobs!

Brett

p_b82
28-12-12, 04:34 PM
pop the brembodges on at some point and change the master cylinder to help with the already slightly spongy pedal feel.

Fix the leak on the windscreen - though have to be around for that to happen!

Nag the guy to finally build me the magic electronics to help me with the pressure as it has been 12 months since he started it!

or detune the car so i can use full throttle again... probably only needs a minor reduction of boost and slight tweak to the fuelling to make it 'safe' again.. but it would be a real shame if i have to do so!

think that is all the major stuff i got planned for 2013 on the car

daytona365
28-12-12, 05:48 PM
Gosh everyone got so much to do..............My 2013 list is: new discs allround, get the wheels refurbed, try and "yellow" my pipes in engine bay, thats about it. Oh and LOVE HIM>>>>>>>>>>> :thumbsup::love::thumbsup:

Jay-ZS+
28-12-12, 09:56 PM
Tax and MOT it.

May change the lighting of the center console but that's it.

Supercharged_Z
28-12-12, 10:24 PM
my plan is to just own a car longer than 5 months plus do anything i want to do :)

MG 53 ZED
29-12-12, 04:32 AM
My plans this year are

Complete the respray on my Zed
Fit heated front windscreen
Engine remap
Fit boost gauge
Underseal the Zed
May get my windows tinted aswell

welshone
29-12-12, 07:13 AM
My plans are to get the flipping thing started :(

peterzs
29-12-12, 07:23 AM
Think I might wash and wax my one!!!!!

:angel::angel::angel::angel:

Maxxed_Ross
29-12-12, 08:35 AM
Touring car:

Finish the engine pipework
Strip head and check bores (due to sitting so long)
Fill with water / oil
Bleed brakes
Fit front brake pads
Fit Sheddist clutch kit
Fit Skunk2 rear arms
Polybush roll bar mounts
4 wheel alignment
Pipe up air-jacks
Fit passenger seat
Have sticklers re-done

Tomb Raider

Fit and paint new doors all round (new gasket type)
Remove and powdercoat roll cage, bull bar and roof rack
Powdercoat wheels
Fit wheel spacers
Drill drain holes in the rear bed / fit cargo loops
Sort out the spot light wiring (possibly 100W upgrade)
Fit new water pump
Sort trailer electrics plug (fit genuine part in place of the cheap metal one on it)
Sort head oil leak
Sort manifold squeal
Sort cold starting exhaust rattle
Fit new steering swivel balls
Replace rear drive splines and hubs
Possibly fit lift kit and new steering damper
Upgrade the interior a bit (possibly later TD5 style dash coversion)

RB320

Fit 4 new tyres
Replace both rear wheel bearings
Adjust bonnet latch
Remove interior and fit new black carpet
Possibly paint center console while it's out anyway
Fit new Blitz exhaust
Tax it and drive it!

Astra

Fit Brembo brake upgrade
Replace front ARB drop links
Look into blanking off the EGR valve without screwing up the management system
Possibly another re-map now that it's not doing so many miles
Sort leaky door seal when it's parked down hill

So not much to do :slap:

Kat2512
29-12-12, 11:00 AM
Let Smokey do whatever he plans to do with the MKII and help whenever needed.

Get the track car back up and running and (again) assist when needed.

Pinto
29-12-12, 11:39 PM
Plans for the ZS are limited in 2013 - needs some paintwork and general tidying and it'll be kept in service as the main transport.

More of the modding side is going to be related to my other cars - I've designed a gas pipe manifold to fit a GT28R onto my Ph1 306 XSi Turbo so I can do away with the aweful t2 OEM turbo that whacks the brake servo when you touch the throttle. Got all the pipe sections, just need to have the manifold baseplate cut out on a waterjet (might have a few made just for future /sale) and weld it together.

Once thats finished i'll be pulling the Xr4x4 out of the garage - needs a D/S front floorpan.....D/S wing.....full respray.....and a new Bi-metal head gasket (have to be custom made by Ferriday Engineering due to the overbore on the 3.2 - £165 per bank :ohmy: )

And the first show is in march......

dida4g
30-12-12, 07:07 AM
Parts to fit,
rear trailing arm bushes,
lowered springs and possibly shocks,
new tyres for the 16's,
service rear calipers for March MOT.

April onwards,
collect FMIC parts,
make new Airbox,
get new/low mileage turbo,
get free flowing backbox,
fit boost gauge,
fit new front bumper,

sneekyparrot
31-12-12, 09:02 AM
In my efforts to get this as close as i can to the touring car performance the list for 2013:

Stitch weld Shell
Fit additional Cage bracing / gusset's
Fit Racing logic hyper ex coilovers
poly bush everything thats not already done
everything to be painted or powder coated
new arb's (not sure but hollow progress / eibach are prime contenders atm
new loom minus all the crap
fit stack dash / new evo clocks
rebuilt vag motor to new spec
decide what bodywork but it will be as much fibreglass as i can get made
wheels? 17's or the pro race 18's
reyland brakes
plumb new lines inc bias control valve
decide oil cooler location
new ducting from front to engine / Intercooler

and prob a shed load i have not foreseen

so be on the road June / July lmao
:rofl:

Maxxed_Ross
31-12-12, 09:16 AM
sounds like a plan to me, I may pinch some of those for mine lol

talkingcars
31-12-12, 01:55 PM
So far it's not going well - I managed to pick up a brand new hood for the F - list price is £500 + VAT + the associated electrics, I paid just £240.

However the oil leak on the ZS went from 0.5L/500 miles to 0.5L/20 miles durring the journey so now I need to get that sorted before anything else.

Yesterday was quite resonable weather and I was given the green card to spend it on cars.

I had a shower and went out to get stuck in and it started spitting with rain so decided rather than taking the hard top off the F and dealing with the cruise control I do some small jobs -

Stripped the new door handles for painting - the spray paint was too wet and as it was cold it wasn't going on well - the covers on the patio furniture have a yellow tinge :whistle:

Tried re-assembling the new centre consol - took me an hour to get the cigar lighter in and I messed up labaling the USB charger switch. :no:

Tried finding the leak on the suspension on the F but it has leaked to much to get underneath :cry:

I tried sorting my small pile of small bits and ended up with more of a mess and a bigger pile :judge:

Finally I tried rebooting the bluetooth in the ZS, I gave up when I realised I'd have to take the glovebox out and I CBA:thumbsdown:

Happy new year - it can only get better LOL

petet16
31-12-12, 02:34 PM
Some days that's just the way things are, that's some oil leak on the zs though.

talkingcars
31-12-12, 02:40 PM
Some days that's just the way things are, that's some oil leak on the zs though.

I've got a feeling it's the oil cooler as it seems to be down in that corner but it really needs a good wash and to go up in the air to locate it.

I should have added to the list above that I went to fit the skirts back on the ZR the other day to find the double sided foam we bought at Stoneleigh in the spring is actually single sided!

petet16
31-12-12, 03:08 PM
Is it not the supply and return pipes for the oil cooler that rust and leak?

mattie007
31-12-12, 04:43 PM
Not sure of my plans yet but I will keep the ZS running for as long as possible! It needs a new inlet manifold gasket and theres a knocking sound on full lock, apart from that it should be ok. I did have a moment last weekend when the fan cut it in and the temp went right up, but its been ok since...
If the ZS doesnt last then maybe upgrade to a ZT or a nice mk2 ZS, maybe even a MG6 if I can get a good deal :)

Dan1971
31-12-12, 04:51 PM
Not sure of my plans yet but I will keep the ZS running for as long as possible! It needs a new inlet manifold gasket and theres a knocking sound on full lock, apart from that it should be ok. I did have a moment last weekend when the fan cut it in and the temp went right up, but its been ok since...
If the ZS doesnt last then maybe upgrade to a ZT or a nice mk2 ZS, maybe even a MG6 if I can get a good deal :)

Funny you mention a "6" - been looking at them too .... Can be got for £9500 now as the rentals are coming on the market. A few really nice TSEs are coming on now too. Lexus Bradford have got 2 TSEs - an orange hatch for under 10K and a grey Magnette for about 10500 IIRC ....

peterzs
31-12-12, 05:05 PM
Talkingcars, might be worth taking off the oil cooler pipes and checking. Might have to take them to Pirtek and get them to make them up.

Think thats what caused Smokeys problem on his first, black track car. Let go on the motorway on the way home!!

Sounds like 2013 will be a busy time sorting out the motors.

petet16
31-12-12, 05:10 PM
The pipes are still available Pete, about £50 each I think, a lot of care is needed removing the old ones to not crack the alloy castings on the pump and cooler.

talkingcars
31-12-12, 06:32 PM
I've just checked my euro millions ticket for christmas day and I've won so I shall risk it and run down to Worthing in it, only 20 miles and if it goes then I've got RAC recovery and if anything breaks while being dismantled it's not my problem.

talkingcars
26-12-13, 12:14 PM
Roll on a year and it's time to review 2013.

The F - Got the suspension pumped and an MOT pass, fitted some decent tyres (Toyo T1r's), did FRL, replaced the soft top, got the audio controls working, rough fitted the cruise control, fitted the K&N Apollo, took her to Europe for a week (2.5k miles through France, Germany, Switzerland, Italy, Austria, Germany, Luxembourg, Belgium and France), water pump sprung a leak on the ferry on the way back, changed that eventually, drove to the beach for the day and then work the following day and the suspension died, she's been on axle stands since September :(

The Yellow ZS is well documented else where but currently sits waiting a new battery and an MOT so I can really push selling her.

The black ZS has her own thread.

The blue ZR has gained some blue Alcantara seats.

The T16 maestro hasn't moved.

TBH my heart hasn't been in it this year, mostly due to personal, domestic and work pressures but I have built myself a workshop so can at least get my head around my parts and get parts out of the house and garden.

Check back on your posts and see how you've done.

grimmy
26-12-13, 12:29 PM
Don't think I had any plans for the car as it's pretty much where I want it.it's now more keeping it there suppose next year is a decent exhaust setup and new good quality boots for the car and just keeping it clean,maybe some attention to the clutch hydraulics.

petet16
26-12-13, 01:37 PM
Well my plans for 2013 were to fit the following.

Fit Skunk2 rear lca's - Never happened, sold on after a change of mind
Poly bush the arb's front and rear - Done
Heated front screen - Done
Rear brake re furb - Done
De rust and protect front jacking points - Done.

Some other bits which were unplanned but got done anyway, Better rear bumper and Clio diffuser.

Some re wiring of the engine bay loom, uprated alternator, alloy cam covers.

The 180 cam belts, err, maybe this year lol.

Dan1971
26-12-13, 01:50 PM
Drive it more ... :punk:

I have done loads since I bought it - far more than I planned and spent far too much money on it already. Like everyone though, I have a wishlist -

Induction
Decat
Lowered
Viper stripes
Alpine BT head unit
Respray

Well - I did the induction, bought but then sold on a decat, bought but didn't fit the stripes (still in the shed and on the "maybe" list for 2014), got a Kenwood instead of an Alpine and although I didn't repray the whole car, I rectified a lot of the paint ...... before I broke the car ("Red") as it was rotten !

So now I've got the Silver Mk2. Done plenty already and to be honest, my list is more of a "maybe" rather than a proper "to do" list.

I have actual plans for a steering wheel - watch this space...;)
I've got a quote for the belts but can't see it to be honest - £530. Think it'd be close to that to get it T16'd after leaving my good V6 engine with the garage that would get the work contract.
The stripes may go on.
My calipers are getting painted in January.
Slight bumper sag still needs doing.
I've got some lights to fit to the front although I'm now thinking more like getting a good compound and cleaning the ones that are fitted.

And then the big question - will I actually still have it December 2014 .... :joker:

petet16
26-12-13, 02:16 PM
Going on past experience Dan, I'm gonna say a cautious maybe, or then again........lol

p_b82
27-12-13, 09:50 PM
pop the brembodges on at some point and change the master cylinder to help with the already slightly spongy pedal feel.

Fix the leak on the windscreen - though have to be around for that to happen!

Nag the guy to finally build me the magic electronics to help me with the pressure as it has been 12 months since he started it!

or detune the car so i can use full throttle again... probably only needs a minor reduction of boost and slight tweak to the fuelling to make it 'safe' again.. but it would be a real shame if i have to do so!

think that is all the major stuff i got planned for 2013 on the car

well we abandoned the attempt to manage the pressure, and I have not used full throttle...

Did finally get the brembodge setup fit - after some adjustements.

bought and fitted some suspension that was too good an opportunity to pass up, and I think that is currently it right now...

air con still doesn't work though, as something else broke again this year....

Jay-ZS+
28-12-13, 06:54 AM
Tax and MOT it.

May change the lighting of the center console but that's it.

Well I taxed and MOT'd it so did part of my plans. Didn't expect I'd sell it though!

KevG
28-12-13, 11:28 AM
Sold it and bought a Ford, enough said really!!