PDA

View Full Version : Wet passenger carpet

bowthruster
30-12-12, 12:25 PM
Just noticed this morning coolant has dropped a little bit,and my windscreen was heavily misted up,so checked carpets,and passenger one is Soaked,took it for 8mile drive,temps fine,everything else seems ok heater etc.No leaks on floor in garage,no mayo on cap.Im just hoping thats its not the HG...What should i check first?The hg was supposely done at 90k,but have no paperwork for it.Any advice appreciated

peterzs
30-12-12, 12:32 PM
The heater matrix can leak, or the clips on the hoses might leak.

Do you have a pollen filter, that can cause problems and let in rain water.

Manifold inlet gasket can let water burn up in the engine and not show as drips/pools on the floor.

Might be worth getting a sniff test done.

Hope its not too bad.

:yes::yes::yes:

bowthruster
30-12-12, 12:37 PM
Thanks for the info,the pollen filters behind the glovebox-will check that in a min.whats the sniff test and how much is it??Thanks

petet16
30-12-12, 12:42 PM
It may also be the heater intake, have a feel around the back of the heater box for wetness, if the pollen filter is soaked it will almost certainly be the intake leak.

bowthruster
30-12-12, 12:44 PM
Thanks, now going to check it.

Skillen
30-12-12, 12:55 PM
Was it this wet?
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh142/cskil/photo1-41.jpg

peterzs
30-12-12, 12:57 PM
Sniff test is a probe they put just above the coolant filler and it can tell if there are hydrocarbons in the coolant.

If there are it is a sign of head gasket failure.

You can also do a pressure test on the system, that pumps up the pressure, leaves it overnight and see if it has kept the pressure. If not, its a sign of a leak somewhere in the system.

Dont know how much but shouldnt be much, might be worth a call or drop into a friendly MG garage if you have one near you.

peterzs
30-12-12, 12:58 PM
Was it this wet?
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh142/cskil/photo1-41.jpg

Think I just saw one of those carp in there.

Skillen
30-12-12, 01:02 PM
Think I just saw one of those carp in there.

I did have one in there, but those damn otters took it!

That puddle is what the ZR greeted me with this morning!

bowthruster
30-12-12, 01:13 PM
Christ! Its not as bad as that.Just wet not a lake.Heres the glove box pict but how to i get into it?

peterzs
30-12-12, 01:19 PM
Dont know if this will help

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamford
Speaking from other people's experiences I do believe it is behind the glovebox inside the car.

*note to self..........must change it!*
It is yes... to change it you need to remove the glove box and the metal bar behind the glove box, then disconnect the fan (I think its the fan wires...) and then the cover just lifts off leaving you looking directly at the filter...

My fan is making a horrible noise at the moment (leaves stuck in it probably!) so I need to change the filter and hoover out the housing...

Where can you get them for £6??? Best I can find is £15 online!

------------------------------

bowthruster
30-12-12, 02:00 PM
Thanks for that.i cant get the cover off,and didnt want to try to hard incase i broke anything,so put it back for the time being.Drying out the passenger carpets at the mo,and car mat on line drying! Noticed a few little rust spots on top of windscreen between seal and roof,could these be leaking?

Paranoid about everything now:detective:

petet16
30-12-12, 02:11 PM
The pollen filter is behind the rectangular cover to the left of the blue plug, it unclips from the top first iirc.

peterzs
30-12-12, 03:13 PM
Had a number where the screen had to be resealed.

Pinto
30-12-12, 04:36 PM
I have a leak from the roof console caused by the bee sting aerial leaking - let in a fair amount of water too !

Little dab of silicone sorted that issue out tho :)

talkingcars
30-12-12, 04:41 PM
I think the pollen filter is in the section to the left of "13" and under the middle of the 3 screws.

MG 53 ZED
30-12-12, 05:11 PM
Do you have a sunroof?, if so check the sunroof drain pipe it may not be secured properly. The pipe runs down the A pillar and comes out to the left of the heater matrix and connects to another pipe which then drains the water off. Found mine disconnected and missing this morning (explains why there is water in my passenger footwell).

bowthruster
30-12-12, 07:25 PM
I'll have another look in the morning.No sunroof.I had a poke with my finger in the filter on the left of the picture but it doesnt feel wet,but i need to get it out really to check.Might check the aerial as well,you never know. thanks for all the replies

talkingcars
30-12-12, 07:52 PM
The filter on the left is for when you have air on recycle to stop large items such as small children being sucked in, if it was wet I'd expect the car to have been standing in 3 feet of water.

bowthruster
30-12-12, 08:11 PM
Cheers for that,i have lost one of my boys so he might be in their somewhere:ohmy:
Think i'll add a haynes manual to my list for tomorrow as well.

daytona365
30-12-12, 08:21 PM
I had a puddle like that one if I parked on a hill, my fault was the hole in the front scuttle that lets the air to the heater blower, was blocked and the silly bit of metal was acting like a diversion.

bowthruster
30-12-12, 08:33 PM
What angles that picture taken from....Is it taken from the engine looking towards the screen?

petet16
30-12-12, 08:37 PM
If you remove the plastic scuttle panel at the base of the windscreen that is what you can see from the engine bay, while your in there it is worth seam sealing that flange, particularly on mk2s, both of ours leaked water into the heater and passenger footwell.

daytona365
30-12-12, 08:56 PM
Yep its from the engine bay, i took my scuttle off, cleaned out all the rotten dead leaves, and resealed it using the seals we use at work for the MK1 Focus scuttle, fitted perfect.

bowthruster
30-12-12, 09:53 PM
Thanks for the advice and pictures.Will have a go tomorrow.So would you say get a mk1 focus scuttle or an mg/rover one or make something up.Thanks again

petet16
30-12-12, 10:02 PM
When I did ours I used closed cell foam strip to replace the original foam seals which were all rotten and tatty, it looks like foam draught excluder strip, and also put a rubber flap above the intake so that any water was directed away from the intake, I wish I'd taken pics when I did it.

daytona365
30-12-12, 10:37 PM
Thanks for the advice and pictures.Will have a go tomorrow.So would you say get a mk1 focus scuttle or an mg/rover one or make something up.Thanks again
Not an actual Focus scuttle, the seals that go with them. Small pieces of double sided foam....

bowthruster
01-01-13, 07:59 PM
Checked the filter,and its fine.Found the problem and its a leak from.....the seal under the scuttle,so thanks for all the advice.Will have a go at it on Thursday.

petet16
01-01-13, 08:02 PM
It's good that you've found the leak, water leaks are a pita to track down generally.

daytona365
01-01-13, 08:51 PM
They not just a pain to find, they tend to also smelly and you always get wet trying to find them lol..............In my pics, once Id found the leak, guess what it started raining, so had to try and reseal my scuttle and put wipers back on before i got soaked lol................... Glad you sorted your leak. Thats another group effort.

bowthruster
02-01-13, 06:12 PM
Thanks again.Will attack it tomorrow:)