PDA

View Full Version : track car .Yorkshire.

smdge
30-12-12, 02:09 PM
hi all,
thought i would share with you a project that i started about 6 months ago. im currently converting a mg zs 180 mk2 to track car. not got as far as i would like due to work and racing commitments but so far the jobs done are.
car stripped out
sunroof removed and plated
roll cage built and fitted
bucket seats and bases fitted
quick realease steering wheel fitted
induction kit fitted
shockers fitted with new springs 800lb front ,700lb rear

to do
front adjustable upper wishbones to fit
rear camber adjusters to fit
rear lower brace to fit
harnesses to fit
cut out switches etc to fit
fire extinguiser to fit
vinyl wrapping

still to find
tyres (going to run ao48/r888)
decat pipe
upgraded exhaust
brakes to upgrade (discs pads hoses)

hoping to get the car finished around april 2013 and get out on track again.
will try and post some photos and keep you updated with how its going if
anybody is interested.
i know there are a few track cars on here and if you guys could point me in the right direction with ride heights, camber. etc
thanks
shaun (smudge)

Maxxed_Ross
30-12-12, 02:10 PM
:morepics:

Sounds nice though :smile1:

peterzs
30-12-12, 03:20 PM
Sounds a lot of work, have to get some pics up.

Best of luck with the rest of it.

:smile1::smile1::smile1::smile1:

Cally180
30-12-12, 03:28 PM
Themgzs.co.uk... Soon to have more track cars than road ones!!

Get us some pictures mate and let's see how your getting on :)

Noobrider
30-12-12, 04:32 PM
apart from the cage your at about the same stage as me. Took mine on track last Friday though for a shake down.

smdge
30-12-12, 09:21 PM
photos as promised

daytona365
30-12-12, 09:25 PM
Different to see a MK2 as a track car!!

redzed
31-12-12, 08:07 AM
Looking good! Where did u get a bolt in cage for a zs? One thing you will need to do is get the age welded into the side of the chassis, you'll have loads of flex with it being just into the floor plan, and it will rattle around loads hen driving on track it's amazing how much the chassis will flex. I'll sed u pics of mine. Camber wise you'll be looking for at least. 2-3 degrees on the rear and at least 4 on the front, most standard adjusters only do to about 3.5 on the front. Spring rates could do with a bit heavier 1000 front 800-900 rear. Don't try equal or more on the back as it will handle bad. Ride height don't lower so the rear arm is anything over than horizontal (or driveshafts theres debate on whixh to use as a bench mark) try and stiffen up the front more as no one does this and it needs it. Get your battery moved to the rear. What you racing in? As you can fit 9 ich btcc wheels easy (not allowed in most racing for the zs) but great for track. With the bolt in cage and everything removed ( soundproofing on the floor weighs nearly 15 kilos on a saloon) you'll be down to 1030 kgs ish. Looking good let us know when you're done an ready for the track!

redzed
31-12-12, 08:09 AM
Oh and definately don't use mk2 rims for track, they're so heavy, my 9 inch btcc wheels are nearly 3 or 4 kilos lighter per wheel. Much less unsprung weight to shift which helps in a big way.

Mark S
31-12-12, 10:07 AM
Looking good! Where did u get a bolt in cage for a zs? One thing you will need to do is get the age welded into the side of the chassis, you'll have loads of flex with it being just into the floor plan, and it will rattle around loads hen driving on track it's amazing how much the chassis will flex. I'll sed u pics of mine. Camber wise you'll be looking for at least. 2-3 degrees on the rear and at least 4 on the front, most standard adjusters only do to about 3.5 on the front. Spring rates could do with a bit heavier 1000 front 800-900 rear. Don't try equal or more on the back as it will handle bad. Ride height don't lower so the rear arm is anything over than horizontal (or driveshafts theres debate on whixh to use as a bench mark) try and stiffen up the front more as no one does this and it needs it. Get your battery moved to the rear. What you racing in? As you can fit 9 ich btcc wheels easy (not allowed in most racing for the zs) but great for track. With the bolt in cage and everything removed ( soundproofing on the floor weighs nearly 15 kilos on a saloon) you'll be down to 1030 kgs ish. Looking good let us know when you're done an ready for the track!

great info there.

I would look at a horizontal arm under load rather than driveshaft, but you need to be looking at the pivot points, so the bush vs the ball joint.
when the pivot points are horizontal, you will have the greatest negative camber, as the lca goes past horizontal, camber reduces, so the theory would be to have it an inch or two below horizontal so when its under load it is horizontal thus providing maximum negative camber.
There's roll centres also, but not so easy to put in a few sentances.

talkingcars
31-12-12, 11:18 AM
Are you running LPG?

Maxxed_Ross
31-12-12, 11:50 AM
just noticed that too... if you are you won't be allowed out on the track

talkingcars
31-12-12, 01:42 PM
and if you are stripping it out I might be able to find a home for some of it.

(I have a pair of un-molested inlet pipes that you could swap ;) )

smdge
31-12-12, 02:29 PM
thanks for all the great info. the cage is one ive built myself didnt want to blow all my budget on the cage. the car is just for fun on track days and when its vinyled up to promote my helmet painting business. the race commitments are for my son who races in karts.which im trying to ease up on as its so expensive.
the lpg is coming out of the ,its on my to do list and it will be looking for a new home as will all the interior etc, getting fed up with tripping over it now!
will take a few more photos over next couple of days.
thanks
shaun

smdge
31-12-12, 02:32 PM

could you post or pm me those photos of your cage so i can modify my cage.
thanks

Noobrider
31-12-12, 09:32 PM
where abouts in Yorkshire are you? We are also building a track car and have full garage facilities, we may be able to pool resources and ideas.

talkingcars
01-01-13, 08:33 AM
First dibs on the LPG gear if the price is right.