PDA

View Full Version : Newest Site Track Car update!

Smokey
04-01-13, 06:02 PM
Well, it's been a while since the engine was delivered to Marcus but now the wheels are turning again (figuratively!)

Ross (of the Maxxed variety) is coming on the 10th to collect the track car and deliver it to Marcus so that it may be united with its new heart!

A few weeks later, I will be available and will try to find as many willing volunteers as possible, to do the transplant and get it going once more

Won't be too long before its first shakedown on the track and hopefully plenty more fun filled sessions for site members!!

talkingcars
04-01-13, 06:05 PM
Q. How many theMGZS members does it take to fit a KV6?

A. As many as possible, more if there are bacon rolls.

Dan1971
Yey .... Be good to hear about it getting sorted and given a thorough thrashing again ....

grimmy
Ah the text now makes sense working until the weekend.

Cally180
04-01-13, 06:13 PM
Mmmm bacon rolls :D

BUCKYDEVIL
04-01-13, 06:14 PM
Looking forward to this and getting the Track car show up & running for 2013.
James I will be sure to keep the Bacon rolls flowing with cups o tea a plenty
As I wont too much help with mechanicals,
Should be a good laugh & learning experience, will let you know my Rosta Blair as it will be sorted after the Wkend.

Smokey
04-01-13, 06:27 PM
That'd be awesome mate, hopefully it won't be too much like a drop in centre and we can get it done in a focussed 2-3 day session!

daytona365
04-01-13, 06:37 PM
Shame you too far away, my bacon rolls are famous. Just ask Pete........highlight of the Bromley Car Show mmmmmmmm

peterzs
04-01-13, 07:22 PM
Shame you too far away, my bacon rolls are famous. Just ask Pete........highlight of the Bromley Car Show mmmmmmmm

YUMMMY,YUMMMY, but not only bacon rolls, sausage rolls, then both with or without fried eggs. And the onions, think we could have made a few bob!!!!!

Smokey, dont get rid of the trashed engine till you have the other one installed and running.

I thought we were going to strip the engine and started pulling off the alternator, but Sam decided to leave all the ancillaries on. Butttttt, the top bolt on the alternator is missing, quite a long one, would hate to hold the rebuild up.

Good luck with it Guys, Talkingcars engine lift made it easy, getting it out, would recommend hiring/borrowing one. Even though they are so called light engines, still a heavy old lump.

;);)

stamford
04-01-13, 09:06 PM
Good news, worth a trip up north for the bacon rolls!

grimmy
04-01-13, 09:18 PM
Good news, worth a trip up north for the bacon rolls!

Well we could always do with the extra experienced hands and if all it costs is bacon rolls and a bloke snoring in the next room for a night or two then thats a deal.:kissing2:

stamford
04-01-13, 09:35 PM
Well we could always do with the extra experienced hands and if all it costs is bacon rolls and a bloke snoring in the next room for a night or two then thats a deal.:kissing2:

If only it were that simple! Alas so many miles between us, you know long distance relationships never last, now were's my cape?.........:super:

grimmy
04-01-13, 09:43 PM
If only it were that simple! Alas so many miles between us, you know long distance relationships never last, now were's my cape?.........:super:

Ha ha. lol .but you know what they say don't ask you don't get? Would be a nice run for your zs to be fair.

stamford
04-01-13, 09:53 PM
Ha ha. lol .but you know what they say don't ask you don't get? Would be a nice run for your zs to be fair.

It is my aim to have a road trip up north, not sure when but I will! The ZS is not going anywhere so it'll happen!

grimmy
04-01-13, 10:18 PM
It is my aim to have a road trip up north, not sure when but I will! The ZS is not going anywhere so it'll happen!

Sounds good would be cool to meet you finally.

Ritchy
04-01-13, 10:34 PM
Bacon baps yumm, Cant wait for Marcus' missus to get her baps out.

grimmy
04-01-13, 10:35 PM

Well that's cumbernauld for you.:chef:

BUCKYDEVIL
04-01-13, 10:51 PM

lol
Sorry mate but Mrs is having nowt to do with forum guys being here so as bad as it sounds it's me who will be getting the Baps out..
Admit it Ritchy, it's my babs you wanted anyway ...
Could do with a technicaly an expert hand if you are available mate..?

grimmy
04-01-13, 10:54 PM
lol
Sorry mate but Mrs is having nowt to do with forum guys being here so as bad as it sounds it's me who will be getting the Baps out..
Admit it Ritchy, it's my babs you wanted anyway ...
Could do with a technicaly an expert hand if you are available mate..?

I've had your baps before and they were excellent.can't beat a fresh local bap or two.:kissing2:

BUCKYDEVIL
04-01-13, 10:57 PM
forget the baps,, Geez McGhee's or Mortons FTW..

grimmy
04-01-13, 11:07 PM
forget the baps,, Geez McGhee's or Mortons FTW..

Or aulds ma da bakes them.

Maxxed_Ross
05-01-13, 05:29 AM
I should be able to get hold of an engine crane, a mate has one that I've used a few times before :strongbench:

Ross (of the Maxxed variety)

this made me laugh :clap2:

BUCKYDEVIL
05-01-13, 10:15 AM
I should be able to get hold of an engine crane, a mate has one that I've used a few times before :strongbench:

That's brilliant Ross, I was looking into hiring an engine lift but local company has had them out on lease for ages & cant tell me when one would be available (Useless)

Blair I have loads of coolant here & hopefully wont go through it before engine swap so dont buy any..

Smokey
05-01-13, 10:29 AM
Awesome Marcus, I have set aside some cash for oil, the only thing I need is a rear offside caliper as the sliding pins are beyond jammed!

KevG
05-01-13, 10:32 AM
Has the timing belt been done on this engine?, would be handy it it could be changed while it is on the floor.

Smokey
05-01-13, 10:37 AM
Kind of been discussed Kev. Brutal truth, I have the 3 belts but not the tensioners (or the tools) and can't afford to spend more money on the tensioner pulleys etc.

KevG
05-01-13, 10:46 AM
Kind of been discussed Kev. Brutal truth, I have the 3 belts but not the tensioners (or the tools) and can't afford to spend more money on the tensioner pulleys etc.

The site has the lock down tools, and a tensioner is about £60

Maxxed_Ross
05-01-13, 11:29 AM
I'm only back onshore for 2 weeks this time, and my second week is looking busy so it'll need to be sharpish!

Smokey
05-01-13, 11:50 AM
£50 for transporting car, £30 for oil, fuel costs for me travelling back and forward, getting the car back to Crieff, MOT, tax, it all adds up and the piggy bank is pretty dry lol. I know it's the best option but money just isn't there when I need to keep it aside for aux belt change on mk2 and possibly expensive repair on the rattle on the mk2 engine too!

grimmy
05-01-13, 12:24 PM
I'm only back onshore for 2 weeks this time, and my second week is looking busy so it'll need to be sharpish!

Will you manage to dig that filter out when you are back.

Maxxed_Ross
05-01-13, 05:37 PM
should do mate as I'm sure it's inside EX259 at the moment after it didn't fit, and I need to go do some work on it at some point anyway

grimmy
05-01-13, 05:56 PM
should do mate as I'm sure it's inside EX259 at the moment after it didn't fit, and I need to go do some work on it at some point anyway

Cool mate give me a shout if you find it.you still got my number?

Ritchy
07-01-13, 06:49 PM
Yass even better marcus, as always, if im free then yes, unfortunatly i never know if im free till short notice.

Smokey
07-01-13, 07:48 PM
Well I purchased 8 litres of Castrol oil. Usually £20 per 4l in Asda but currently £12 each. So bought 2!

mattie007
07-01-13, 09:04 PM
Excellent news, only wish I could get up to Knockhill.
Any plans to bring it down south?

Witnes$
07-01-13, 09:46 PM
Yeah bring it daan sawf, or at least the midlands.

grimmy
07-01-13, 10:02 PM
Yeah bring it daan sawf, or at least the midlands.

It was offered to come down south last year but despite loads of talk no one was willing to put their hand in their pockets make it worthwhile.

Smokey
07-01-13, 10:45 PM
It will certainly be on offer down south again but yeah, with a month or so of trying to plan, it fell through in the end. There was more scepticism then too so hopefully last years track days are a testament to its worth this year.

peterzs
08-01-13, 09:36 AM
We did appreciate the offer to come down Smokey.

Think the costs involved put a few off, mainly pushed up by the cost of swapping drivers, all charges down to the tracks down here. Think you get a cracking deal at Knockhill.

Trouble is everyone is getting squeezed, and spare cash just isnt there.

Almost cheaper to share the fuel cost and travel up to Knockhill.

Hope the transplant all goes well and you are soon out on track again.

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

ZS
08-01-13, 09:39 AM
Smokey, if you ever do Goodwood, drop me a PM and I'll be happy to let you use the spare room :) - saves B&B costs anyway!

Smokey
08-01-13, 10:21 AM
Yeah Pete, I know the feeling. The site track car is costing me a fortune which wasn't the plan lol. I also agree that travelling up here is probably a better/cheaper option and I'm open to do that and can even supply a couple of beds. It's just getting paid confirmations.

Let's hope this year, the transplant goes well and there's enough interest in doing track days. If not, I'll just do more myself lol!

And Cheers for the offer Sam, will see what the future holds!

Maxxed_Ross
08-01-13, 10:32 AM
Well looks like the weather has it in for you

Flights have all been canned for today due to fog, and combined with the delayed flights from yesterday there's next to no chance of me getting off here tomorrow... apparently this fog will be here until Friday!

Hazards of the job at this time of year I'm afraid

BUCKYDEVIL
08-01-13, 02:02 PM
Well looks like the weather has it in for you

Flights have all been canned for today due to fog, and combined with the delayed flights from yesterday there's next to no chance of me getting off here tomorrow... apparently this fog will be here until Friday!

Hazards of the job at this time of year I'm afraid

That sucks far more for you Ross than us as must be a nightmare not being able to arrange time of etc with your Mrs...
only thing it delays with us is car moving date & thats nothing but it did get me to pull my finger out & take down garden gate & fence..
Hope you aint stuck offshore too long mate..

tb steve
08-01-13, 02:06 PM
i hope you get paid for staying there or do you just work until your lift come's

then again
no one off
no one on lol

Smokey
08-01-13, 04:26 PM
That sucks Ross, hope they get you back on land soon enough mate.

Track car can wait til the next time you're free.

Maxxed_Ross
08-01-13, 04:38 PM
well all is not lost, the flight that should have been here at 1pm is on it's way.... there's hope yet!

peterzs
08-01-13, 04:43 PM
Come on the helicopter!!!

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Maxxed_Ross
08-01-13, 05:03 PM
well my theory is that if this one gets off tonight that's one less infront of mine tomorrow!

I'm normally on the 2nd flight here, 10am check in... no idea what time I'll get home now - not that I'm bothered as long as it's before the last train south at 9pm lol

Maxxed_Ross
09-01-13, 10:27 AM
Well my chopper is on it's way, due here at 12 sharp

Crisis averted hopefully!

Smokey
09-01-13, 10:58 AM
So back on then tomorrow?!

Maxxed_Ross
10-01-13, 06:50 AM
got home late last night... then was, *ahem* "busy" lol

back on!

stamford
10-01-13, 07:04 AM

back on!

I bet ;)

Smokey
10-01-13, 07:29 AM

back on!

What could possibly have been more important :p ;)

BUCKYDEVIL
10-01-13, 09:24 AM

back on!

Quality post mate, what you mean "Back on" hope you didnt post this at same time as being busy.?

peterzs
10-01-13, 09:33 AM
Getting all those model cars up and running I suspect.

Hope you saved a bit of energy for all that lifting and strapping down!!!!

Dont want the car to roll off the trailer..

:weakbench::weakbench:

Maxxed_Ross
10-01-13, 04:36 PM
well that's me back... 140 miles later lol.

some fantastic roads up there... just a shame i had the trailer! all went smoothly enough. getting boxed in by grumpy neighbours at both locations was quite funny, as was the blind reverse onto the road at both locations!

Im in the wrong job

BUCKYDEVIL
10-01-13, 05:03 PM
:clap2::clap2: Ross :clap2::clap2: Car is now on worksite thank's to you.
I took the handbrake off & wedged wheels, Blair I noticed rear offside window is slightly down but winder is missing to put it up ?
So will try use winder from mine tommorrow to put it up, filled gap with bags to stop water going in.
All in all though, The track car makes a frikkin Awsome garden ornament.

Kat2512
10-01-13, 05:41 PM
Hey Marcus. Window put down deliberately to relieve moisture build up in car. Got a hell of a muscle workout helping push the car up your drive! Cheers again for letting us use your's (and Tracey's) space :D

grimmy
10-01-13, 05:51 PM
Well done everyone for getting the car there safely.now comes the hard part lol.looking forward to tackling it.these are going to be some serious do something meets and top marks to Marcus and Tracey for donating the space for the swap.

talkingcars
10-01-13, 07:32 PM
Don't forget the photo diary.

Maxxed_Ross
10-01-13, 08:51 PM
i forgot to take any pictures until just before we un-loaded... so i only have one lol

Kat2512
10-01-13, 10:07 PM
I've got a few pics from at ours. Will get them up on the site tomorrow

Smokey
11-01-13, 10:33 AM
http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff96/smokeysworld/F2813BE7-5079-480D-9AE9-8B27E597ABD2-25095-000010833AEBD77A.jpg

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff96/smokeysworld/836BD8EA-74CA-47A9-8B67-45313B61DA4C-25095-000010834110560F.jpg

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff96/smokeysworld/93ACC96B-F862-4C15-8230-2EDE4F6191FA-25095-0000108331BB6508.jpg

Again, a big thanks to Ross for his help with the track car, he went above and beyond. Also thanks to Kat and Dave (my mate) for pushing the car, leaving me with minimal work to do since my back still isn't 100%

Finally, I want to thank Marcus and Tracey for allowing the use of their place to keep the track car for work to be done.

Looking forward to the rebuild process and getting a proper how-to (or maybe how-not-to!) on an engine swap!

peterzs
11-01-13, 12:30 PM
Wow, the car still looks great, hope it all goes well, only took about 4 1/2 hours to get the engine out.....................

Worse bit was the gearbox/shaft roll pin, right B to get out, plenty of WD40 as soon as you can.

Pity the trailers not got a clear central bit. You need a bit of height to get a swing at it.

talkingcars
11-01-13, 05:50 PM
I don't think it helped that the car was too low to access the roll pin - if and when I try and do another (not that I did much at Sams) that early in the process.