PDA

View Full Version : Knocking/heavy vibrating and alloy as hot as a house radiator

Skillen
10-01-13, 08:25 PM
Been getting a knocking for about a month and it started gentle and now rocks the car!
It's not a constant thing, sometimes lasts 30seconds sometimes 30minutes (been getting longer time periods lately)
It had its MOT yesterday and it passed with rear brake pipe as an advisory. It didn't appear to be there when I first got it back but it soon reared its ugly wobbling head!
Do you think they missed something?
Any ideas on what the issue could be?

Not rev related but the knocks get faster with speed, and more intense on in gear deceleration and out of gear, constant speed cruising makes them loud and acceleratingakes them slightly decrease in intensity.

Also deceleration in gear makes me lose speed pretty quickly and more quickly than I've noticed before.
It also struggled to pull from 45-50 in 5th and struggled up a hill in 3rd when the knocking was there. When the knocking is absent on the same hill it seems fine.

Doesn't pull one way or another and vid below of noise and the shaking coming through the steering.

No ABS light and I tested it and the system seems to work

Passengers say they feel it a lot their side.

Sorry for all the info.
I'm at a loss here guys.
Thanks, Callum.

Skillen
10-01-13, 08:27 PM
http://youtu.be/jbBMSpCyiek

Can't embed the video sorry.
But that's the link

grimmy
10-01-13, 08:28 PM
Sounds like a sticking caliper or warped brake disc causing the car to drag.

Skillen
10-01-13, 08:32 PM
Sounds like a sticking caliper or warped brake disc causing the car to drag.

Just had it serviced with the mot and the pads changed, guy said discs alright. It had its MOT following service too would they have picked up the sticking caliper? As they did on my ZR

But thanks ill ask them to look into that.

grimmy
10-01-13, 08:37 PM
If its something like that it will get worse as the discs heat up and expand I would guess.

petet16
10-01-13, 09:01 PM
Hard to be sure, but it sounds like it's running on 5 cylinders

petet16
10-01-13, 09:03 PM
Sorry, just reread the title, if the wheel is getting that hot the caliper will be sticking

Skillen
10-01-13, 09:08 PM
Sorry, just reread the title, if the wheel is getting that hot the caliper will be sticking

Alright I'll get It looked at again! Stupid thing! Passed well and then needs fixed haha! Don't know how they've not noticed it tbh!

petet16
10-01-13, 09:36 PM
The thing with an mot is it's only valid at the time it's issued, so if it worked on the test it passes, you drive 2 miles and it sticks doesn't matter, it worked when it was tested.

Skillen
10-01-13, 09:57 PM
The thing with an mot is it's only valid at the time it's issued, so if it worked on the test it passes, you drive 2 miles and it sticks doesn't matter, it worked when it was tested.

It did the vibrating beforehand as well so thought they might have noticed it then! Guess it was playing nice for the testers!

Dave MGT
10-01-13, 10:24 PM
Looking at that video it looks and sounds like a wheels coming off!! It's not just doing it when you brake. I would check your wheel nuts as a precaution as its just been serviced and all!

Skillen
11-01-13, 09:55 AM
Wheels are on tight! I checked lol
Got a caliper hunt now.
282 venteds right?

petet16
11-01-13, 10:05 AM
Yes 282s

petet16
11-01-13, 10:08 AM
Not a bad price
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MGZR-ZS-160-180-BRAKE-CALLIPER-FRONT-COMPLETE-WITH-BRAKE-PADS-GENUINE-NEW-N-S-/261066405611?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Model%3AMG+ZS&hash=item3cc8c536eb

Skillen
11-01-13, 11:05 AM
Thanks! Got one coming!
Hope this sorts it out!

petet16
11-01-13, 11:14 AM
Hopefully so, it's only really a dragging brake that would generate enough heat to make the wheel that hot.

peterzs
11-01-13, 12:21 PM
Stuck my finger onto the rear off side wheel, after I had a horrid grunching sound. Then wished I hadnt!!

Thought it was a stone stuck behind the pad.

Did the disk in by the time I got into Kendal and they replaced rear disks and pads. Stuck on sliders, big hammer to get the B to move, said the fitter.

Skillen
14-01-13, 07:49 PM
It was a sticking caliper.
Sorted now, the guy tried to sort it without putting a new one on but it was well ruined!
So a new caliper later and it's all running sweet.
Thanks for the help folks.

grimmy
14-01-13, 07:57 PM
It was a sticking caliper.
Sorted now, the guy tried to sort it without putting a new one on but it was well ruined!
So a new caliper later and it's all running sweet.
Thanks for the help folks.

You're welcome.this site always seems to come up with the answers.

peterzs
14-01-13, 07:58 PM
Glad its sorted.

You will now be listening for all the odd noises, and when you get out go round all the wheels making sure they arnt over hot!!!!

Skillen
14-01-13, 08:10 PM
Glad its sorted.

You will now be listening for all the odd noises, and when you get out go round all the wheels making sure they arnt over hot!!!!

I keep doing it with the ZR! Any noise or judder I'm checking!

Now I need to get the heater fan sorted now as that is whining on all speeds and then squeals!

That said now its nearly silent apart from the v6 :D
Testament to the mk1's sound proofing!

peterzs
14-01-13, 08:22 PM
Always something to keep you busy!!!!

Skillen
14-01-13, 08:31 PM
Always something to keep you busy!!!!

I've enough with the ZR why oh why I got another rover ill have no idea!
I'll crack on and look forward to warm weather and get my hands dirty again!

peterzs
15-01-13, 09:17 AM
Worth it in the end, just hope the end comes soon and all the gremlins are sorted.

Then its all fun.