PDA

View Full Version : Perspex

Cally180
11-01-13, 12:18 AM
Looking for a few sheets of Perspex to make up windows all round the car (except front obvious) ideally cheaper the better. Approx 3mm thickness.

Could do a wee swap for door cards if interests anyone?

Don't ask you do get I suppose. :).

sneekyparrot
11-01-13, 06:11 AM
There was a purchase thread started on xpf

http://forums.xpowerforums.com/showthread.php?p=694966#post694966

Not sure where we are though and will prob die a death like most :-)))

P.

ZRed
11-01-13, 06:19 AM
Polycarbonate if doing on the cheap. Perspex is too brittle.

Mark S
11-01-13, 07:02 AM
try Amari Plastics Glasgow
4 Masterton Way
Tannochside Park
Uddingston
Glasgow
G71 5PT

4mm thick if you want to go racing tho.

stamford
11-01-13, 07:03 AM
As said, perspex is no good at all and won't be allowed on track. Lexan, Makrolon polycarbonate is the stuff as used that before in my hotrods. Polycarbonate is not what I call cheap but right for the job.

Cally180
11-01-13, 04:49 PM
There was a purchase thread started on xpf

http://forums.xpowerforums.com/showthread.php?p=694966#post694966

Not sure where we are though and will prob die a death like most :-)))

P.

any movement on this?? would be good if it could be bought ready made and at a good price.

Polycarbonate was the word I was looking for aswell!

sneekyparrot
12-01-13, 10:05 AM
Looking at end of feb for these units, 4mm lexan (track / fia approved) should be sets for the saloon and the better hatch lol!

P.

ZRed
12-01-13, 10:45 AM
As said, perspex is no good at all and won't be allowed on track. Lexan, Makrolon polycarbonate is the stuff as used that before in my hotrods. Polycarbonate is not what I call cheap but right for the job.

I meant doing on the cheap as apposed to buying a set of race windows.

They also won't save as much weight as you think.

sneekyparrot
13-01-13, 06:34 AM
Depends what u mean by cheap? Think the set was going to be around £200 and includes the rear screen.

You gotta have the right stuff even for your own safety.

If anyone wants the stuff from the bag then they can have it for £50 plus the postage but it is used and needs to be fixed in position and does not work with the winders.

Cheers

sneekyparrot
13-01-13, 06:46 AM
They also won't save as much weight as you think.[/QUOTE]

On there own they save a bit but u can't just look at a weight loss for the car and only change 1 thing, it just ain't worth it but strip the interior / electric windows / speakers etc etc and u can easily get the car around the 1000-1100kg mark.

Dump the abs and fit the lines inside the car, using a bias valve to control the rears for a start that setup weighs a ton!

I am pretty anal with this when I was building bikes, but with the vag I am starting at the front and working back. I am looking at every nut and bolt and bracket and what it does, if it ain't needed it comes off or is replicated in allot or carbon. If a bolt can be replaced with an alloy / ti item then it will be with only structural items being left as stock.
It's not for everyone and not everyone has these items to hand but u get my point I hope.

P.

stamford
13-01-13, 09:26 AM
Depending upon the glass specification used it has at least twice the density of polycarbonate in toughened form. In most instances the doors are removed of all hardware and internal skins so this coupled with the change to polycarbonate make considerable savings. However the main point here is the safety aspect where glass is removed just leaving the laminated front screen inplace. Polycarbonate being impact and shatter resistant.

ZRed
13-01-13, 10:07 AM
I agree gents but you are way way ahead of yourselves. The boy is running a cheap track car, I mean cheap with every respect please don't take offence to that. Taking the glass out on this car and fitting polycarbonate at "this time" will make no noticeable difference. None. Time and money spent elsewhere will benefit the car far more.

When you get to the other end of the spectrum, grams make kilograms and every wire, nut bolt and dod of sealer counts. This is not the case here. Take a 4mm bit of poly against a window pain and there's hardly any difference.

stamford
13-01-13, 12:59 PM
No I agree, it is better spent elsewhere at this stage. When someone is at the point of chasing dead weight then this is a place to go as it'll be half the weight of the standard glass fitted.

Cally180
13-01-13, 02:41 PM
I agree gents but you are way way ahead of yourselves. The boy is running a cheap track car, I mean cheap with every respect please don't take offence to that. Taking the glass out on this car and fitting polycarbonate at "this time" will make no noticeable difference. None. Time and money spent elsewhere will benefit the car far more.

When you get to the other end of the spectrum, grams make kilograms and every wire, nut bolt and dod of sealer counts. This is not the case here. Take a 4mm bit of poly against a window pain and there's hardly any difference.

true, it is a cheap track car, as most things on it have been either 2nd hand or bought at no great expense. with the idea of fitting polycarbonate, was to save weight overall, as I agree that just swapping a windows for perspex is no great saving, but with the chance to remove the electric windows and all the other parts that go with it there is a small saving to have, but if its at the cost of £200 then no its not going to happen, and the money would definitely be spent better else where.

On there own they save a bit but u can't just look at a weight loss for the car and only change 1 thing, it just ain't worth it but strip the interior / electric windows / speakers etc etc and u can easily get the car around the 1000-1100kg mark.

Dump the abs and fit the lines inside the car, using a bias valve to control the rears for a start that setup weighs a ton!

I am pretty anal with this when I was building bikes, but with the vag I am starting at the front and working back. I am looking at every nut and bolt and bracket and what it does, if it ain't needed it comes off or is replicated in allot or carbon. If a bolt can be replaced with an alloy / ti item then it will be with only structural items being left as stock.
It's not for everyone and not everyone has these items to hand but u get my point I hope.

P.

I agree with you that if any weight can be saved, no matter how small, and if you have access to them at no, or little expense then why not? and that is my idea here, if its a job that can be done, and the cost is little then I think it should be done!

again the whole idea with the track car is cheep fun, good chance it wont end up with a set of cams and a fancy manifold due to cost, it will run pretty much standard with hopefully good brakes and suspension. so if any other gains could be had else where, then I'd be looking at they options.

cheers guys

Mark S
13-01-13, 03:32 PM
but with the chance to remove the electric windows and all the other parts that go with it there is a small saving to have,

you could fix the rear glass in place and remove all the mechs, and convert the front drivers to manual and keep the fr pass electric, this will save a few kg.
You would only save an extra 4kg by changing the glass to polycarb.

The ignition barrel weighs 2.5kg, easy to remove and replace with a couple of switches and a start button.

the door cards weigh 2.6kg and can be replaced with 3mm foamex weighing 600g and costing just a few quid.

theres plenty to be going at and easier places to save weight first.

grimmy
13-01-13, 03:44 PM
I have a set of rear winding mechs you can have.just lying cluttering up the garage.might save a kilo or two.

Dan1971
13-01-13, 03:46 PM
Couple of exlax the night before mate and you'll save the same amount of weight .... ;)

Cally180
13-01-13, 05:46 PM
Couple of exlax the night before mate and you'll save the same amount of weight .... ;)

haha! that's the rule!! its a clean shave, no take-away food and wear as little as possible :laugh::laugh::laugh:

all in the name of saving weight! lo!

OllieZS
13-01-13, 07:16 PM
you could fix the rear glass in place and remove all the mechs, and convert the front drivers to manual and keep the fr pass electric, this will save a few kg.y
You would only save an extra 4kg by changing the glass to polycarb.

The ignition barrel weighs 2.5kg, easy to remove and replace with a couple of switches and a start button.

the door cards weigh 2.6kg and can be replaced with 3mm foamex weighing 600g and costing just a few quid.

theres plenty to be going at and easier places to save weight first.

Mark,

How would you fix the rear windows in place?

Regards

Ollie

Ritchy
13-01-13, 07:26 PM
Bond them

OllieZS
13-01-13, 07:43 PM
They also won't save as much weight as you think.

P.[/QUOTE]

Sneekyparrot

Do you know how much weight you've saved by removing the a.b.s?

Regards

Ollie

Mark S
13-01-13, 10:50 PM
Bond them

that and suitable brackets to support them, L shape bracket with rubber between bracket and glass as well as a decent panel seal/bond to hold glass in place.

OllieZS
14-01-13, 04:59 AM
Thanks Mark

stamford
14-01-13, 09:59 AM
They need to be a very snug fit in the window channels to avoid then being sucked out at speed. Best to use the same thinckness as the glass so it fits in the same manner, thinner will be too flexible. As said bonding them in helps as will a well positioned bottom stop.