PDA

View Full Version : Major oil leak after a service

MG ZS STE
13-01-13, 01:23 PM
I had my 180 serviced last monday 7/1, by a garage I've used regularly for a few years. I checked my oil on Wednesday or Thursday just to make sure they'de topped it up with the required 5.25 litres and it was spot on.

Yesterday I came home from the autosport show and the oil pressure light flicked on for a nano second, which I thought strange. Got out the car and there was a trail of oil up the drive and a slick under the car. Checked the dip stick and its lost all its oil. The filter looks tight and the sump plug is still present. For it to loose all its oil so quickly where are the likely places it could be escaping from?

I'm really pissed off about this and intend to call the garage Monday first thing and explain the problem. They'll need to recover it as its undriveable in its current state. I just hope it's something they've done. Owned it or over 3 years without so much as a drip then in less than a week of a service it's dumped it's oil all over the A45 and my driveway.

Ritchy
13-01-13, 01:36 PM
If the filter and plug is tight id doubt its anything to do with them

peterzs
13-01-13, 02:14 PM
Had a few problems with the oil cooler pipes and connections.

Thats what killed Smokey's first track car, I'd check there for a start.

Might be worth a gallon of cheap oil and see if you can spot where its coming from. Get a biggish container underneath first though.

ZRed
13-01-13, 02:25 PM
Oil cooler and pipe are common grounds.

Possibly double seal on filter?

MG ZS STE
13-01-13, 05:40 PM
Possibly double seal on filter?

I hope it is just that, Thanks for the advice. I'll speak to the garage owner tomorrow and see what they say.

RalphG
14-01-13, 11:22 AM
Check the cam shaft oil seals. Did you have the belts changed?

MG ZS STE
14-01-13, 11:38 AM
No, it wasnt a major service. just a major oil leak after a regular service. The cars at the garage now so should hear something today. Im hoping its the oil filter gasket has lost its seal when i was doing motorway miles saturday.

Between picking the car up monday evening and losing the oil saturday afternoon i had only done 30mph 3.5 mile journeys to and from work. So saturday the engine pressure of higher reving motorway driving i think caused the gasket on the oil filter to blow. To lose all its oil in an hour i wouldnt think the oil cooler or a cam seal failure would cause it to void its oil as quickly. I'd expect to have seen an annoying leak for a few weeks before it competely dumped its contents.

MG ZS STE
14-01-13, 02:15 PM
Just had the call....

Its one of the oil cooler pipes. Could be the feed or the return but whichever one it is hes saying if im changing one you may as well do tuther whilst your down there.

3 hours labour though, is that right? what do you think. The parts he's quoted are about the right price. PBH101800 & PBH101790.

petet16
14-01-13, 02:26 PM
Yeah I reckon 3 hours would be about right, I think the pipes are about £140 for the pair

petet16
14-01-13, 02:29 PM
My mistake just over £100 for the pipes
http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID999628

peterzs
14-01-13, 03:20 PM
Oops I've been saying its hard to get the pipes and get them made up, take it all back!!!!

:smile1::smile1::smile1:

MG ZS STE
15-01-13, 07:09 PM
Don't think I'll get the car back until at least Thursday :( with all the interest in the mk2 recently its made me appreciate mine even more.

peterzs
15-01-13, 07:12 PM
Least you caught it before the engined died!!!!

Ritchy
15-01-13, 07:25 PM
Moral of the story, don't lose your temper with the garage till you know what the full story is:)

MG ZS STE
15-01-13, 07:54 PM
It was just my knee jerk. I was alright with the garage when I called.