PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else have issues with hills etc in snow?

James Raby
14-01-13, 07:37 PM
Cos I do, just know its a no hope situation :(
Michelin pilot sport 3 tyres on front and Pirelli assimetrico tyres on rear

Just been towed up a very slight incline which shouldn't really be an issue but absolutely NO grip!

Skillen
14-01-13, 07:42 PM
I'm regretting the fact I didn't get winter tyres on If I'm going down there.
That said I recall there not being many hills in Norfolk :/

Not like cumbria! Or like Scotland which my R200 1.1 handled brilliantly!
Must be the torque!

Ritchy
14-01-13, 07:48 PM
wide low profile tyres are generally poor in the snow, throw any sort of power in and your stuffed, stick to higher gears and low revs if you can, soon as you wheel spin your done, tbh youd likely be better with space savers on in the snow

peterzs
14-01-13, 08:00 PM
Or get some of those snow sock things, saw some in ASDA the other day.

stamford
14-01-13, 08:06 PM
I had grip issues with the Vectra this morning and they are Michelin Premacy. Everyone was having problems this morning.

Ritchy
14-01-13, 08:09 PM
don't get to say this that often..."or come to glasgow, theres no snow here"

Skillen
14-01-13, 08:12 PM
don't get to say this that often..."or come to glasgow, theres no snow here"

Three years ago I made a trip to Glasgow
Before Xmas, took me 9 hours to get back to carlisle!

peterzs
14-01-13, 08:21 PM
We live on a hill, the ZSderv wont even look at it.

Time for the Punto, manages it without any probs.

Nobrainer
14-01-13, 08:24 PM
Said it before, say it again. Snow socks.

Ritchy
14-01-13, 08:29 PM
thats skinny tires for you pete, my zr was better in the snow with 16" tyres and no abs

Maxxed_Ross
14-01-13, 09:11 PM
I've not been having any problems in the Astra and it's on very wide Tyres. I normally drop the pressures a bit as the bigger foot print will help compensate for lack of cutting ability

daytona365
14-01-13, 09:37 PM
I just leave my ZS in the garage and walk to work.......

grimmy
14-01-13, 09:38 PM
I've never really had any big issues in the snow. unless its that deep the splitter act like a plough lol.that happened the last timer had any real snow a couple of years ago.the only time I regretted having my car lowered.

James Raby
14-01-13, 09:47 PM
I only got stuck cos I had to go over one of the badly aligned speed bumps out if Norwich! It's on an incline also haha!

Problem is someone turned right with no warning so stopped!!!!

Got the rope on and waited for a 4x4 :/

ZS
15-01-13, 06:57 AM
I've never got any of my ZS's stuck in the snow, and never had any problems with grip in the snow either... Infact last year (or was it the year before?) in all the snow I was pulling other vehicles out of trouble with my ZS :D

zsserbia
15-01-13, 08:35 AM
Just went to Bosnian border and got a set of 4 winter tyres, for a 230 euros! And I'm chuffed with the grip and comfort for the money http://www.oponeo.co.uk/tyre/sportiva-snow-win

Got a wee bigger 205/55/16 but they are as soft as butter. Zed is transformed into a merc... Speed bumps and sidewalks are now a walk in a park. The only issue is the fronts rub a bit on full lock... No ABS probs because they are on all corners.

MG mad
15-01-13, 09:08 AM
Have to agree, no problems at all with winter tyres on.

gibbzy2k1
15-01-13, 02:09 PM
I bought set of winter tyres and put them on the old Coupe 15s last year. Problem being when we actually had snow last year the ZS was off the road for a week and I had to use the sterling. This time round I tucked the ZS up in the garage sunday night for the week so that I can sort the leak out and its starts to bloody snow!!! So the Sterling is in action. Typical. Luckily we haven't had it that bad here yet.

dida4g
15-01-13, 02:40 PM
My old R400 sdi with stock 14's was ace in the snow, the lack of ABS helped too.