PDA

View Full Version : Slight crunch for 5th

Nor
14-01-13, 08:56 PM
Only happens when I'm very high revs and going into 5th early from 3rd say.

Problem on the horizon?

Steven11
14-01-13, 09:03 PM
Sounds like the clutch isnt fully engaging, What mileage is on the car ?

Nor
14-01-13, 09:11 PM
Sounds like the clutch isnt fully engaging, What mileage is on the car ?

43k.

Steven11
14-01-13, 09:13 PM
43k.

Still really low mileage then. The fact that it only happens in 1 gear when the car is at high revs would point to the syncro in my non mechanical opinion !!

grimmy
14-01-13, 09:26 PM
Maybe the beginning of the failing clutch slave mate have a look at the thread I started today about this issue lots of handy tips and pointers there today .

Nor
14-01-13, 09:59 PM
Cheers fellas.

Is there anything easy to spot without stripping it all down to the nuts and bolts?

ZS
15-01-13, 06:53 AM
Cheers fellas.

Is there anything easy to spot without stripping it all down to the nuts and bolts?

yeah... look at the slave while someone else presses the clutch pedal, see how much movement there is from the bracket and slave itself...

Also you can look over the gear linkage without too much hassle and see how much play is in that (if there is a bit you will get symptoms like you mention)

peterzs
15-01-13, 09:09 AM
Thought if it was the hydraulics its 1st and reverse that will be hard to get into.

You got enough oil in the box and the right grade???

Might be my first check.

Nor
15-01-13, 06:20 PM
yeah... look at the slave while someone else presses the clutch pedal, see how much movement there is from the bracket and slave itself...

Also you can look over the gear linkage without too much hassle and see how much play is in that (if there is a bit you will get symptoms like you mention)

Cheers

Thought if it was the hydraulics its 1st and reverse that will be hard to get into.

You got enough oil in the box and the right grade???

Might be my first check.

Not sure. Will check :)

Thanks all.