PDA

View Full Version : Site track car - "The Rebuild" - Bodies required!

Smokey
31-01-13, 10:19 PM
Well as some may know, things are making headway now with the site track car.

We have the car at Marcus' house where it was introduced to its new engine.

The front end has been partially stripped by Marcus and Grimmy to save some time.

The big news is, the swap should be going ahead on the 8th and 9th February. Now we need as many bodies as possible to help. Marcus and I are available both dates, Grimmy is fine for the Saturday at least... so who else is available and willing to lend a hand?

Bacon rolls will be supplied as I will be buying the equivalent of a pigs worth!

This should see the car back to track glory once the better weather comes!

Ritchy
01-02-13, 06:28 AM
I'm in fort willam then, sorry

peterzs
01-02-13, 09:55 AM
whatever else, get a engine hoist/crane.

Plus if you can do it on a hard standing so you can push/pull the crane into position.

grimmy
01-02-13, 10:59 AM
Engine hoist is being organised I think Pete and the car is sat on slabs so easy access

peterzs
01-02-13, 11:29 AM
Makes it so much easier, dont forget that pig of a roll pin, that you have to knock out. Thats twice, one on the track car, one on the s/h engine.

Proper pin punch or drift is a must, plus a big hammer!!!!

Jacks and axle stands to get the height, I'd even be tempted to get it to a friendly garage, so you could use their ramps, if you cant get it out quickly.

BUCKYDEVIL
01-02-13, 12:17 PM
Called round Hire companys today & I can get Engine hoist delivered on Fri for wkend hire with collection afterwards for £40 all in inc VAT,
played a few small places against each other :smart:
Blair Im supposed to be Dayshift next Fri but will put in for a holiday,
If I cant get it I will be home around 3pm but no probs with people being here to make an early start if they can.
Also if it runs into Sunday 8th that isnt a problem as Im off.

Maxxed_Ross
01-02-13, 02:44 PM
I should be able to get hold of an engine crane, just waiting to hear back from my mate who currently has it

Worth keeping the hire company as a back up though

Cally180
01-02-13, 03:47 PM
The 9th is my birthday weekend so ill be a man down for that and would only be eating you bacon rolls and feeling rough! haha!

BUCKYDEVIL
01-02-13, 04:02 PM
I should be able to get hold of an engine crane, just waiting to hear back from my mate who currently has it

Worth keeping the hire company as a back up though

That would be great Ross, Ive to get intouch with the Hire company I was going to use on Thursday to pay & give delivery details,
If you can manage to get yours can you txt me if you still got my number or PM here or Bookface before Thursday 5pm, Cheers

Cally feel free to come along even if your rough as nothing cures a hangova better than greasy rolls & Iron Bru.
If you can make it PM me for address, & if not then hope you have a great Birthday Wkend

Stephen
01-02-13, 04:38 PM
Finish at 4 on friday, and im off sat/sun!

Il be there :)

Smokey
01-02-13, 05:56 PM
Yaaay!

Cally180
01-02-13, 05:58 PM
think you could have it up and ready for the 24th?

Dan1971
01-02-13, 05:58 PM
There in spirit guys .... Hope it goes well

grimmy
01-02-13, 06:14 PM
Cool well done stephen.

That's us got a short arse to go under the car guys

talkingcars
01-02-13, 06:24 PM
whatever else, get a engine hoist/crane.

Plus if you can do it on a hard standing so you can push/pull the crane into position.

There was block paving under the gravel......

Engine hoist is being organised I think Pete and the car is sat on slabs so easy access

If it is slabs get something to spread the weight as the consentrated weight of the engine on the little wheels, especially the little ones at the front of the hoist can either a) put sufficiant weight on the slab to tilt it or b) crack the slabs. You can use ply but this can split or delaminate so thick (18mm or 25mm MDF is better but best is proberbly solid timber such as some lengths of resonable condition scafolding boards.

Block paving is better but you'll find that you have to move the crane in a snaking motion to get around i.e. move front left pivoting around front right, then move front right pivoting around front left.

Concrete is best but you'll need to snake over any expansion joints.

I think we left the rope on the block, if we did it is tied so that it is secure enough to lift the engine and is strong enough to take the weight, if I took it off sorry.

Hope I'm not teach grandma to suck eggs, been doing this sort of thing in hostile enviroments over the last 30 years.

BUCKYDEVIL
01-02-13, 07:12 PM
All advice is fully appreciated james and taken on board, Your not teaching us to suck eggs- just giving a helping hand by Proxy..cheers

andys1981
01-02-13, 09:30 PM
i wont get my car back till friday,and thats my only day off its my weekend in working,so looks like i wont be able to make it guys,take loads off picks to let us know how yous get on with it!

Smokey
07-02-13, 05:47 PM
Well tomorrow is the beginning of the long weekend engine swap! Should be fun!

peterzs
07-02-13, 06:20 PM
Good Luck.

:band::band::band:

Smokey
07-02-13, 06:26 PM
Cheers Pete, gonna need it lol!

peterzs
07-02-13, 07:25 PM
Might pay to take photo's on the phone as you unplug and remove everything, loads of electrical connectors/plugs. They all should flop back down and be obvious, but if you have a pic, it takes the gamble away.

Breaker bar, so you dont do in the socket ratchet.

Few containers so you can label up the nuts and bolts, so you dont have to guess what goes where. Ice cream containers etc. Or strong plastic bags.

Seems a bit nit picky, but makes it easier to reassemble, it will all make sense when you are undoing it, putting it back........................ Less you have some guys that have done it before!!

grimmy
07-02-13, 07:38 PM
Might pay to take photo's on the phone as you unplug and remove everything, loads of electrical connectors/plugs. They all should flop back down and be obvious, but if you have a pic, it takes the gamble away.

Breaker bar, so you dont do in the socket ratchet.

Few containers so you can label up the nuts and bolts, so you dont have to guess what goes where. Ice cream containers etc. Or strong plastic bags.

Seems a bit nit picky, but makes it easier to reassemble, it will all make sense when you are undoing it, putting it back........................ Less you have some guys that have done it before!!
Strong plastic bags are being used pete with plenty of sticky labels courtesy of my missus.
off to look at what I can "borrow" from work that will substitute as a breaker bar and pics are going to be taken as a matter of course as blair wants to do a how to on this.just hope our enthusiasm doesn't out weigh our ability lol.

Smokey
07-02-13, 08:51 PM
Well we certainly have plenty of enthusiasm!

Grimmy, are the bags/labels at Marcus' place or shall I find an alternative as I strip the bay tomorrow?

grimmy
07-02-13, 09:14 PM
Well we certainly have plenty of enthusiasm!

Grimmy, are the bags/labels at Marcus' place or shall I find an alternative as I strip the bay tomorrow?

They were left up there mate.what time you going up?

Smokey
07-02-13, 09:24 PM
Should be there around 10/11am

peterzs
08-02-13, 09:42 AM
Good luck guys, pity its so far up to you, take it easy, and remember its a heavy old lump.

Fingers and anything else out the way when you start lifting, if it goes jump out the way!!!

Hope the weather is kind to you.

Stephen
08-02-13, 10:00 AM
Il see you guys tomorro, by the time im finished work and head up yous will be finishing up.

Stephen :)

Maxxed_Ross
08-02-13, 04:32 PM
Im having to go back up to aberdeen again... sorry lads

talkingcars
08-02-13, 05:58 PM
I had a thought this morning, rig up a web cam and stream a live broadcast............
or just record it and compress it into a 3 minute video for you tube.