PDA

View Full Version : Am I correct?

shroonie29
25-12-07, 11:25 PM
In thinking,all these ermmm............................................. .................................................m odern cars with TC that "most PPL> can't drive are realy a waste off time?
The reason I say/ask this is that without the old computer 99% of PPL. wouldn't be able to get off the line,nevermind actualy drive them.

What I mean is if you take the gadgets off M3 Evo etc.Would most owners be able to cope?
My opinion is .................................................. ......................NO

Shroon

DeMoNPauL
26-12-07, 12:31 AM
I think you're right.

These drivers of modern cars take the TC, SC or LC for granted. Give them a bog standard car like the ZS for example and they would lost.

I have never, ever owned a car with any of the above.

Drove a VW Touran TDi as a courtesy car when my mk1 was murdered by a white van man. Thankfully it had the option to turn off the TC. Nasty bit of kit that when you are used to driving without it.

Just to add. I mentioned to my brother-in-law about turning off the TC on the Touran. His response was to imply that I should take corners slower. I thought the whole idea of these driving aids was to make handling better.

No the wonder we broke the bank to buy another ZS 180. Give me a bog standard car any day. If I want a computer doing my driving I'd hand in my license and stick to Forza.

Regards. Christina. (DeMoNPauL's better half)

Excuse the rant. It's xmas and I've had a few.

Boot Hill Bandit
26-12-07, 12:34 AM
The best way I learnt how to drive was to drive on slick tyres on a wet track.........it's damn tricky........but you learn about control........same goes for me learning to race on ice and in the snow on slicks......

Traction Control is supposed to be a safety aid.......the same goes for ABS......it is there to assist the driver.......it's not supposed to be there to keep the car on the black stuff under normal circumstances.

So I guess to some extent......'no' most drivers wouldn't cope if they are driving the cars on or finally over the limit.

Granville

al_roverMG
26-12-07, 06:50 AM
See my opinion of all these TC LC etc is less to do with the driver and more to do with the car designers. Let me explain. By adding things like TC LC and the like the car designers have to pay less attention to actually making the car handle as the electronic safety net can do just that and make it safe. I mean the Civic type R is a shining example. Sure the "breadvan" shape one (the EP3 for the spotters like me) which i had would bite if you poked it with a stick hard enough but then it was a dream to drive and was very quick without the need for traction control. Even modified it can still handle the power. The new one (FN2) however is fitted with traction control. Now with it switched on it feels very similar to the old one even sliding progressively from the rear and unlike many traction control systems it actually adds to the fun. However switch the TC off and it suddenly turns into an understeering not so nice handling car which is a back step from the old one.

At the end of the day many people now buy a car on the number of "functions" it has as they see them as part of the value for money. I however buy a car because i like it as a package and to hell with all the rest.

stamford
26-12-07, 08:40 AM
The only cars I have had with any 'aids' were the Omega V6 and Calibra V6. Both had TC and were a waste of time tbh as they did very little due to the heavy car and extremely heavy flywheels.

I agree, those cars fitted with all the toys are weighted to the inexperienced driver and the manufacturers should only sell them if the owner signs up for a track day/instruction before taking to the road, same goes for the insurance companies, null and void unless a pass/competence certificate is issued. It's like giving them a jet fighter with no flying hours.

arwilson80
26-12-07, 12:02 PM
I'll put it like this....

The most fun comes when there is NO traction. ;) ;)

Boot Hill Bandit
26-12-07, 12:04 PM
I'll put it like this....

The most fun comes when there is NO traction. ;) ;)

mmmm you could be right there.......under the right circumstances anyway ;)

Granville