PDA

View Full Version : Belt Change + Service Recommendations

Jono-MG
06-02-13, 09:45 AM
So its getting near that dreaded time... :unsure:

Picked the car up at 46k miles while being reassured the belts were changed at 36k but there was no accompanying documentation due to a flood at the owners property (timeframes owners area etc tied in and the belts looked in good nick).

The car is now coming up to 66k and not being the most optimistic person (and having read all the recommendations and horror stories on belts) I would like to change the belts at the 70k service, for piece of mind if nothing else, not that I drive the car hard but I don't want it to let me down on the work run either.

From the main dealer I was quoted £1100 all in or individually £800 for the belts £300 for the service, I knew it was going to be a hit but really?

This of course took me to checking the car's worth which for a Mk2 180 on 54 plate looks to be ~£1100 to £1700 private sale depending on condition, again mine being on the higher mile side but still treasured and me being again on the pessimistic side should I be looking to part ex it in the next 4k miles for the current value and get rid although this is really the last thing I want to do :noexpression:

peterzs
06-02-13, 09:52 AM
Give p_b82 a pm, he has his tuned derv looked after by someone over your way.

Might be surprised at the quote from his guy.

Cant remember his name!!

david1926
06-02-13, 11:31 PM
The mobile mechanics on some of the other forums are charging 450/500 for the belts

Sonic_160zr
07-02-13, 01:22 AM
Give p_b82 a pm, he has his tuned derv looked after by someone over your way.

Might be surprised at the quote from his guy.

Cant remember his name!!

I think his name is RallyMatt on the forums, heard some great things about his work.

Cheers,
Matt

vanishing days
07-02-13, 08:48 AM
My mechanic is an mgrover expert and has quoted me £450 for belts and pretensioners and thermostat on my 180 so its always worth hunting around for a decent mechanic

ZS
07-02-13, 08:50 AM
My mechanic is an mgrover expert and has quoted me £450 for belts and pretensioners and thermostat on my 180 so its always worth hunting around for a decent mechanic

Does that include the water pump as well??

If so... who is he? lol

stamford
07-02-13, 08:51 AM
MG Rover Solutions for me, very good, mobile, well known across the MG Rover community and knows his stuff.

http://www.mgroversolutions.com/

peterzs
07-02-13, 09:51 AM
I think his name is RallyMatt on the forums, heard some great things about his work.

Cheers,
Matt

Thats the one, well done Matt!!

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

R8NMG
07-02-13, 11:09 AM
Lates at lates600.com comes highly recommended by other MG forums. I have used Lates for my belt change and service 2 years ago on my 180 and it was just over £500. He is in the Coventry area. Him and his assistant can do the job in half a day and you can see them in action whilst you wait.

Ippon
07-02-13, 01:36 PM
Lates at lates600.com comes highly recommended by other MG forums. I have used Lates for my belt change and service 2 years ago on my 180 and it was just over £500. He is in the Coventry area. Him and his assistant can do the job in half a day and you can see them in action whilst you wait.

I guess you went down for the day then? So no one recommended in the SYorks area then?

dida4g
07-02-13, 01:54 PM
I can get a just labour quote from the garage I use if you like, I'm in Hudds.

Jono-MG
07-02-13, 03:26 PM

This one rings a bell from chatting to a few people at PoL last year, I'll do some ringing around and report back.

Ippon
07-02-13, 04:03 PM
I can get a just labour quote from the garage I use if you like, I'm in Hudds.

yes please .... which garage it it please?

R8NMG
07-02-13, 05:36 PM
I guess you went down for the day then? So no one recommended in the SYorks area then?

I wasn't living in S Yorkshire back then but I will still drive to Lates again if the belts need doing.

However my car is now serviced by Pete at A-Tec in Doncaster. He was an ex-MGR mechanic.