PDA

View Full Version : MG ZR 2.0 TD - opinions/advice?

Levi
11-02-13, 02:12 PM
Hi all, my wife had her car written off last week unfortunately, and now she needs a replacement! It has to be economical, fairly small, not too old, and under 3k. So i was thinking of a ZR diesel.... Has anyone had any experience with these? Things to watch out for, problems etc. Do the engines go on for a while if looked after, because ive seen a few around the 110k miles marker, is this reasonable or high?

Thanks in advance, lee.

peterzs
11-02-13, 03:05 PM
Think the engines are pretty bomb proof, providing belts are done, oil change etc. 48 thousand or 4 years for the belts.

My one goes well, if they feel sluggish or wont red line its usually the MAF sensor is shot. Not too bad to replace or get a MAFRAM digi box, that overrides the sensor.

Should get 45/50 mpg if you dont go mad.

Make sure the clutch is OK as they can take a bit of a bashing if any one has been using the Torque.

Dont know about the ZR but being lighter than my ZS should fly.

CyrixDes
15-02-13, 05:51 PM
I had a zr 115 from new in 2003 and its that much fun its still in the family now as my wifes car. Can wholeheartedly recommend them, engine is bomb proof and even driving in a spurited fashion you get 45mpg. Ive got a ZS 180 and still enjoy myself throwing the wifes zr about!

Cheers
Dale

Enright
15-02-13, 06:37 PM
Ditto that - 45mpg is easy.
I've had 3 ZR's - a 105 and 2 TD's. The difference between the lower powered petrol and ANY of the diesel models is amazing. 160 performance for 105 money, with running costs that simply no other ZR can rival.
The TD's are great, and you'll easily get a decent Mk1 for half your budget.
The only difference between the 101's and 115's is the map, which you're likely to change with a set of SDi injectors anyway, so save yourself the costs and go for the lower powered one.
110k is no problem at all as far as the engine is concerned, and because of the weight of the TD lump they have 160 suspension, so that should be adequate too.
The brakes aren't exactly confidence inspiring to look at (being just 262mm solid discs up front and drums at the rear), but they work perfectly well on the road, and a full 160 setup (with 282mm vented fronts and 262mm solid rears) is a straight bolt-on.
You can easily find straight alloys instead of the standard hairpins, sideskirts and Monaco interiors to make them look like the better spec'd models from eBay or in scrapyards.

As Peter says, look for evidence of at least the cambelt having been done, and preferably the injection pump timing belt done at the same time, although if that snaps it just stops the engine and has to be re-timed.
Talking of fuel pump timing, it's easy to get wrong, which results in hard starting in cold weather. Not difficult to fix, but a good haggling point.
Also watch out for coolant changes. The water pump is driven off the back of the power steering pump via the alternator belt. If anti-freeze isn't maintained in the right proportions, the freezing coolant can shear the water pump's impeller.
This can be a difficult one to spot because localised boiling can make it look as though coolant is flowing. It's about the only thing that can kill the head-gasket.

The Diesel Forum on mg-rover.org is very good with some really knowledgeable and helpful people. I can't recommend it highly enough - unlike theMGZR.co.uk, which I can't recommend at all! :D

Levi
16-02-13, 05:49 AM
Guys, thanks so much for the advice, its made me even fancy one for myself if i could justify it! Insurance is coming back a bit high on it for her as she has had a couple of accidents now unfortunately, but because they are so cheap to buy in the first place, i still might look. Thanks again lads.

Dan1971
16-02-13, 07:00 AM
Give her that puma - it's a girls car anyway ... ;)

Get yourself back in a ZS - you know you want to .....

Levi
16-02-13, 01:29 PM
Dan, ive already tried that angle, she wont be seen dead in the puma for some reason haha.

Dan1971
16-02-13, 03:13 PM
Dan, ive already tried that angle, she wont be seen dead in the puma for some reason haha.

She clearly has taste ... ;)

bjb19760
02-05-13, 06:55 PM
anyone please know how to post a new thread i am new and got a few problems with a zr td diesel and would like any advise possible please......

WalkerDnB
02-05-13, 10:16 PM
After Enright's post Im quite tempted to buy a ZR TD lol

anyone please know how to post a new thread i am new and got a few problems with a zr td diesel and would like any advise possible please......

Go to to the Engines, Exhausts and Induction section under Technical Area and click on "New Thread" in the top left corner.

<<Link to Engines, Exhausts and Induction section>> (http://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=22)

Enright
02-05-13, 10:32 PM
Why not just ask away here? The thread title's relevant. So what's up with it?

After Enright's post Im quite tempted to buy a ZR TD lol
I forgot to say, but they're ridiculously easy to tune up to 160BHP and silly amounts of torque too, and then the fun REALLY starts! :D