PDA

View Full Version : My Zed the cone killer needs some TLC....

pb25
11-02-13, 02:29 PM
Greetings from the far North!

My Zed is requiring a bit of TLC due to the fact that its just too much fun to drive and therefore its getting a lot of abuse! So I need a few parts and thought I would ask the knowledgeable members for recommendations and suppliers. It’s a Mk1 2.0 TD

I need:
A clutch kit
Front callipers (seen some re-con ones on fleabay for £44 each)
Front brake hoses (ideally braided)
Front calliper slides (£13 a pair on fleabay…really?)
Calliper frame bolts (not sure if that’s its name but the bolts that hold the bracket on to the hub)
Disc guards
Intercooler hoses – silicone (not bothered if they are TB or black)

Suspension is getting a bit soggy so any recommendations for what parts to replace…bushes etc. I managed to pick up 2 track rod ends for £12 off fleabay.

Also what is the best type of ball joint splitter for the zed?

If anyone has any good Mk1 16” alloys or Mk2 17” alloys with good tyres then let me know as mine are not looking their best.

Any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated.

PS my zed is a cone killer after a recent trip from Thurso to Dumbartonshire. Up here you have to take your overtaking chances otherwise you get stuck behind something slow for miles of wiggly road. I was following a car which in turn was following an artic lorry up a 13% incline…..got to the top and there is a shortish straight so the car in front starts overtaking and I follow. The car pulls in sharpish after the overtake and leaves me with the sight of a section of the of the road with the top layers removed and 3 cones in the hole…..I have a choice of going into the side of the lorry or ploughing through the hole! I hit the cones at 80mph and the pointy bit of one goes vertical. Fearing that most of the front bumper would be gone I was relieved to find a few scratches and nothing more!

pb25
11-02-13, 02:30 PM
Forgot to say my budget is not limitless so the cheaper the better

pb25
11-02-13, 02:42 PM
Ohhh and its a hatchback so need new boot struts.....either that or i'm going to start wearing my crash helmet to get things out the boot!

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2

dida4g
12-02-13, 07:09 AM
No replies.......I'm shocked.

Off the top of my common sense head I'd say you lost favour at 'hitting the cones at 80mph.'

pb25
12-02-13, 08:24 AM
My cone killer and I feel unloved lol

I didnt plan to kill the cone......it just appeared in front of me honest....I love my Zed too much to damage it with a plastic cone

If anyone has any suggestion please post and it will be much appreciated

KevG
12-02-13, 12:16 PM
Only 2 items I can help on.

Caliper frame bolts (not sure if that’s its name but the bolts that hold the bracket on to the hub) - Rimm Yer Brothers - No: 9 (http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-RYG101110) on image (http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/ImagePopUp.aspx?i=GRID003117)
Disc guards - No Longer Available

Smokey
12-02-13, 01:48 PM
I'll have a hunt for any spare caliper bolts I may have but I think regarding your 'incident' you made a very poor judgement that day and may need to be a little less aloof about it considering the consequences that could have prevailed.

KevG
12-02-13, 02:15 PM
:police: Officer dribble has spoken!!

pb25
12-02-13, 04:02 PM
Thanks KevG and Smokey

A special thanks to Smokey for making me feel like I was 18 again living at home with my parents (dad was a police officer for 25 years). I would take slight offense to the 'very poor judgement' comment though. As a very nearly 40 year old father of 4 who has a clean license and full no claims and who works in the nuclear industry I would like to think my judgement is better than most! Judgement is based on the available facts coupled with the quantum of risk (risk v outcome) where risk is the product of likelihood of the hazard being realised and the severity of the outcome should the risk be realised. The facts were it was a dry day with good light, visibility was good, the road was straight for approximately 0.75 miles. The hole in the road was not sign posted; i.e. no roadwork signs and the lorry was indicating to the car in front that the road was clear. As the hole was quite near the start of the straight on the other side of the road and the car in front began overtaking as soon as he hit the straight there was no way i could see it. The roads up here are some of the most dangerous in the country so I always expect the unexpected. My judgement at the time was sound (I believe) it was just unfortunate that the hole and cones were there and the outcome of hitting a plastic cone is far less then going into the side of a lorry! As a motorcyclist I have a better understanding of the dangers of others/other things but I would not say my judgement on that day was very poor......but appreciate you looking for the bolts.

carmadbaker
12-02-13, 04:10 PM
Dont bullsh1te a bullsh1ter lol

pb25
12-02-13, 04:21 PM
Lol no bullsh!t just fact

Smokey
12-02-13, 04:27 PM
It is only my opinion on what you posted. You never need to " take your overtaking chances" as you will reach your destination slower. You based the road being clear, not on visibility but on a lorry driver's perception that the car in front of you could go. You chose to overtake behind him blindly (it would seem) and got caught short when he pulled in.

We've all probably made these errors and come out unscathed, just seemed to be a bit more blasé about the whole thing. (I live in crieff and the A85 is a similar style road so I know about sitting at 40mph for 10 miles, price I pay for living here lol).

Regardless, will look those bolts out ;)

talkingcars
12-02-13, 05:17 PM
No replies.......I'm shocked.

Off the top of my common sense head I'd say you lost favour at 'hitting the cones at 80mph.'

No, just didn't have anything worth while to ad to the thread
(much like this messege).

talkingcars
12-02-13, 05:20 PM
Cone thread - http://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=19184

pb25
12-02-13, 07:25 PM
Well theres one less cone in the world now lol

Smokey it's all good.....I know my judgement is good and my risk assessment skills are second to none but you had to be there really ;)

Google map Berridale Braes and you'll see where I was. If any Zed drivers want a challenging section of road to really let their cars stretch their legs try Helmsdale to Thurso for some hairpin/forrest fun!

Anyway thanks for the links and anymore keep them coming!

Smokey
12-02-13, 08:19 PM
I know my judgement is good and my risk assessment skills are second to none but you had to be there really

My opinion differs slightly but as said, my opinion is only based on the description you gave.

Google map Berridale Braes and you'll see where I was. If any Zed drivers want a challenging section of road to really let their cars stretch their legs try Helmsdale to Thurso for some hairpin/forrest fun!

I'll save challenging myself and my car to Knockhill where I feel safe and everyone around me is sharing in the risks involved. Did google the road, do you mean the A9? (Notoriously thought to be Scotland's most dangerous road for car accidents/fatalities)

pb25
12-02-13, 10:33 PM
Yes the A9......it is a savage road but from Golspie North it is a great bit of road for good old fashioned driving fun....apart from the wildlife and boy racers!

pb25
23-02-13, 07:56 PM
Just an update on the parts:

I bought 2 remanufactured front calipers off fleabay for £45 each, free postage and get £15 back for each old one I return

I bought a full set of blue brake hoses off fleabay for £60

I bought a empty cat box for £35

I bought a new MAF and digimafam from rover ron and fitted it today......absolutely love it.....its like a new car!

Still to get caliper sliders and suspension bushes.....will probably go to rimmers.

Will probably get new silicone intercooler hoses from dark ice.....maybe the sdi injector kit aswell!

Anyone got any recommendations for back boxes for a nearly 40 year old.....the cone killer currently has the standard point down at the floor bend one which just looks gash. Not wanting anything too loud as its a diesel and I do alot of miles. 2" stainless? Will the universal ones of fleabay do the job?