PDA

View Full Version : Oil Catch Tank - Now fitted!

arwilson80
27-12-07, 11:24 AM
I'm fairly certain it is the one that comes out from under the plastic cover and turns 90o and fits into the little red quick release coupler (the one that is straight up and turns to the left in the middle of the pic below). I'm fitting it now and just want to be double sure before i cut it. :blush:

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b17/arwilson80/Image091.jpg

stamford
27-12-07, 12:02 PM
That is the one I have seen on other installs too.

Maxfly
27-12-07, 12:12 PM
As far as i have seen its the smaller of the 2:)

arwilson80
27-12-07, 01:24 PM
That is the one I have seen on other installs too.

Well i'll assume it's right then... 2 minutes and it'll be too late. :)

stamford
27-12-07, 03:06 PM
Yes Alan, it is the one you described, the smaller of the two pipe diameters.

I've been outside looking at my install, I've decided to remove the bumper and induction kit as I will be replacing the pipework and resiting the tank.

arwilson80
27-12-07, 03:25 PM
It's now fitted after having it about 6-8 months.... :blush:

Here's where i put it....

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b17/arwilson80/Image093.jpg

stamford
27-12-07, 03:36 PM
So you went for the horizontal install then Alan?

Looks like the same one as mine, except mine is the very closely matched blue of the Trophy :D

arwilson80
27-12-07, 05:34 PM
Yip. It was the only place i could find that it fitted. And mine is black to match as well...

john180
27-12-07, 06:51 PM
so what is it and what does it do??

Boot Hill Bandit
27-12-07, 07:49 PM
Hot gases rise.........and there are breather tubes that allow the engine to 'breathe' installed in the tops of the cam covers........

as the hot oily gases rise.......they enter the breather hose......and as they go along........they cool and can turn back into oil vapours which then run along the tubes into the throttle body.......the oily vapour then hits the cold air and the vapours are pushed back up into the plenum (plastic part on the top of the engine the piece of crap ) or the vapours run back down to the air filter/induction system.

All in all........a **** up......and a pain in the arse......

so we fit oil catch tanks to catch the damn oil and stop ruining the plenum and air filters.

plus........any hot gases aren't pushed into the induction system sapping power..........how much I don't know.........but every little helps. Which is why the car will always feel more responsive and eager when the air is dense and cold like in foggy conditions or when it's generally misty.

I won't rant on too much........and I'm sure someone can post up something far more accurate but thats the jist of it

Granville

arwilson80
27-12-07, 09:47 PM
I think that's the more 'technical' answer Jim... :)

In my 'stupid person' explanation....

It's added to collect the oil vapour that comes out of the top of the engine and gets sucked along the air breather tube... this happens to connect to the VIS valves on the ZS and cause them to 'foul up'. The tank (in theory) stops the oil vapour getting as far as the VIS valves and therefore reducing the chance of their failure.

I hope that maybe helps, but knowing me it may just have muddled you up more... :blush:

Boot Hill Bandit
27-12-07, 09:54 PM
nah thats definately a better explanation :laugh: mine went around the houses a bit :rofl:

anyway..........in short...........plenum, clutch hydraulics and VIS motors are the only major worries on the ZS180.....

Jim

stamford
27-12-07, 09:55 PM
nah thats definately a better explanation :laugh: mine went around the houses a bit :rofl:

anyway..........in short...........plenum, clutch hydraulics and VIS motors are the only major worries on the ZS180.....

Jim

Not forgetting some suffer from a loose nut just behind the wheel..........................

Boot Hill Bandit
27-12-07, 09:56 PM
Not forgetting some suffer from a loose nut just behind the wheel..........................

Oi!

Cheeky git!

Jim

arwilson80
27-12-07, 10:01 PM

That's nothing to do with the car though.... Would be the same in any. ;)

stamford
27-12-07, 10:02 PM
Oi!

Cheeky git!

Jim

:kissing:

Boot Hill Bandit
27-12-07, 10:06 PM
:kissing:

I love you too bud :console: but not in that way :laugh:

Jim

stamford
27-12-07, 10:25 PM
:spank: you love it!

Boot Hill Bandit
27-12-07, 10:59 PM
You're right......I do love 'it'......

back on topic.......I will post up my catch tank fitting when they arrive. Ralph and I have got one for the high and one for the low to be fitted.......just to be on the safe side.

Jim

bilco
28-12-07, 09:41 AM
Have a look here http://forums.xpowerforums.com/showthread.php?t=29330&highlight=oil+catch+tank

RalphG
28-12-07, 01:04 PM
I'll post some pictures once I've fitted my 'catch tanks'. :whistle: