PDA

View Full Version : Fastest ever failure??.......

Boot Hill Bandit
27-12-07, 04:14 PM
Well........ **** happens........usually in my general direction and generally it seems to be my ZS :laugh:

I shall find out Saturday if I have had the fastest ever plenum failure after only 150 miles! :rofl: you got to laugh or you'd cry honestly you would!

Hopefully its not the case but we can hear a nasty rattle inside the plenum. This is after me being very careful with allowing the car to fully warm before taking it over 3000rpm and driving on part throttle until then.

Honestly.......I nearly put an axe through the ***** today........luckily Arkwright was on hand to calm me down or I may have had a Basil Fawlty moment.

I shall keep peeps updated......but I wouldn't be posting this up if I wasn't almost certain of it.

Granville

Craig
27-12-07, 04:17 PM
thats bad news mate, hopefully it wont be a biggie.

Boot Hill Bandit
27-12-07, 04:18 PM
thats bad news mate, hopefully it wont be a biggie.

******* right its bad news! It better not........otherwise I am going to put some explosives in it and blow the ******* up.......video it and get £250 from YBF

Granville

shroonie29
27-12-07, 04:41 PM
Doesn't the new one carry any guarantee if fitted by a mechanic at an Xpart centre?

Shroon

RalphG
27-12-07, 04:56 PM
I spoke to Jim this morning about the warranty on the parts...

It might be a case of car hypochondria.:unsure: Hopefully this is the case. Jim's car is booked in for a test on Saaturday.

Mat C
27-12-07, 04:57 PM
Yes 9 times out of 10 it's never the component that's at fault - it's the person who fitted it !

Murray203ps
27-12-07, 05:09 PM
Mine's been rattling for ages now Jim. When you get to 3000rpm it makes a rattling noise as the VIS valve opens. Still not effected the power as it still accelerates ok. Is yours down on power??

Sorry to here it though mate :console:

arwilson80
27-12-07, 05:33 PM
Do you ever have any luck other than bad?

Shafz
27-12-07, 05:46 PM
sell up and get a mk2 180 :D

stamford
27-12-07, 05:57 PM
It doesn't matter what you do or how careful you are, it is the part and not how it is fitted. There is nothing you can do when fitting it that will make it break prematurely. I'd wait for the diagnostics before saying the plenum has gone.

If it is a brand new unit I would be very surprised if it has 'gone'. They just don't go unless the unit was not assembled correctly by Mann & Hummel. Even then it would not work as soon as it was fitted.

Very strange, keep me posted Jim.

Boot Hill Bandit
27-12-07, 07:39 PM
We shall see what happens in a few days. Thing is.....I am determined not to give up......not after all what I've been through with this car........but I am beginning to have second thoughts :sad:

I shall keep you posted Stamford.

Generally the noise is a rapid tapping sound at idle......this disappears it would seem as throttle is applied.......once the car is on the test book we shall see!

Granville

Shafz
27-12-07, 09:00 PM
do you not some sort of aftermarket warrenty? e.g from the aa

DeMoNPauL
27-12-07, 09:21 PM
sell up and get a mk2 180 :D

Mk2's rattle more than a mk1. It would drive him crazy!

Generally the noise is a rapid tapping sound at idle......this disappears it would seem as throttle is applied.......

With a bit of luck it will only be the purge valve you can hear rattling. Ours on the mk1 got pretty noisy at one point and it's nothing to worry about.

Christina

Boot Hill Bandit
27-12-07, 09:48 PM
do you not some sort of aftermarket warrenty? e.g from the aa

If the MG Rover part is broken.......it will come under the years parts warranty. I just am not feeling lucky......I never do :sad:

I feel a bit calmer now........it will be fixed whatever it is.........it's just frustrating with one thing after another.

Jim

Boot Hill Bandit
27-12-07, 09:50 PM
With a bit of luck it will only be the purge valve you can hear rattling. Ours on the mk1 got pretty noisy at one point and it's nothing to worry about.

Christina

Thanks Christina.........thats reassuring :)

Jim

Shafz
27-12-07, 10:08 PM
If the MG Rover part is broken.......it will come under the years parts warranty. I just am not feeling lucky......I never do :sad:

I feel a bit calmer now........it will be fixed whatever it is.........it's just frustrating with one thing after another.

Jim

im feeling that something is going to go wrong with mine, took out the aa breakdown cover last week which entitles me to a free repair up to £500 - £25 excess

DeMoNPauL
29-12-07, 09:54 PM
So is anybody any the wiser as to what the rattle is?

Christina

Boot Hill Bandit
30-12-07, 12:39 PM
So is anybody any the wiser as to what the rattle is?

Christina

I think in all honesty you should be promoted to a Tech Guru Christina! You were spot on! Unplug it and the rattle stops......plug it back on and it starts again!

What a racket it makes though! Obviously the rattle continues in the plenum making it sound 10 times worse than it is. Quite amazing how you can hear it inside the car with the window down sometimes!

I find it quite disgusting how crude the plenum set up is and some of its parts........you'd think that the last thing prospective owners would want to hear is a death rattle which is excatly how mine sounds :sad: I reckon that is what Ralph could hear the other night when it was bitterly cold and frosty......not the plenum........but the purge valve clacking up and down like mad.

Phew......so anyway........for a little while I can breathe easy.... *touches wood* and I hope she can behave herself until by bank account goes back in black.

Jim

shroonie29
30-12-07, 01:25 PM
It's odd how the purge valve is fairly quiet on some & not so on others.Mine is no more than a mild tick when in action luckily.
Atleast it was nowt to worry about in the end :)

Shroon

stamford
30-12-07, 03:05 PM
Well, that's another one to throw into the mix then, good job.

Boot Hill Bandit
30-12-07, 03:20 PM
Indeed......and both Ralph's and my catch tanks have arrived from Masher over on XPF.......so we shall be getting those fitted in due course :)

Jim

stamford
30-12-07, 03:22 PM
I really don't see the point in those, they seem a bit toytown to me. However if I were to see one up close I change my mind, they seem a bit small for the job that is my opinion.

Anyone on here got one fitted and how often do they need emptying?

Boot Hill Bandit
30-12-07, 03:35 PM
I really don't see the point in those, they seem a bit toytown to me. However if I were to see one up close I change my mind, they seem a bit small for the job that is my opinion.

Anyone on here got one fitted and how often do they need emptying?

The amount of oil they can collect is very little.......but.......if they work they work........if they don't........I will modify mine to be able to catch more oil.....as such they will probably need emptying frequently.

I will let everyone know anyway ;)

Jim

DeMoNPauL
30-12-07, 09:28 PM
I think in all honesty you should be promoted to a Tech Guru Christina! You were spot on! Unplug it and the rattle stops......plug it back on and it starts again!

:huh:

I'm way off being a Guru but my brain does surprise me sometimes.

Christina.

Murray203ps
31-12-07, 03:34 PM
Good to hear it's fixed Jim. As stamford said just one more thing to check on the most crap designed inlet system.

On the subject of oil catch tanks i've had my moto-build one fitted now for about 9 months now and it's got about 10mm of oil in the bottom.Quite a lot really.