PDA

View Full Version : Mg zs air brake

buff-1
18-02-13, 09:46 PM
I am currently under taking a project in where i have to construct an air brake system i plan to use the extreme spoiler of off the mg zs saloon and remake it in carbon fibre and locate two actuators inside the then hollow spoiler and mount it on the boot lid and programm it to operate correctly. i will upload pics off eork done once i am near a computer i already have a post like this on the xpower fourms.

buff-1
19-02-13, 08:25 AM
if anyone wanta me to put the link up leave a message and i will.

peterzs
19-02-13, 08:50 AM
Love to see it.

Sounds an interesting project, this for a Uni course???

Smokey
19-02-13, 09:15 AM
Intrigued!

ZS
19-02-13, 09:31 AM
As I understand it, having been following this project on another forum for a year almost, its not going to be "functional" as if it was it would rip the boot lid off the car... lol

It is purely to show what can be done and that he can make the middle part of the spoiler swivel :) - Guess it might have moved on since I last read up on the project though!

Still an interesting project... would be interesting to see some newer pictures

buff-1
19-02-13, 02:11 PM
you should read up on it ive moved on quite a bit planning to remake spoiler out of carbon fibre and mount onto bootlid so it will be able to be acessed and hollow the spoiler will be functionional and should slow the car down in theory. ill post the link to the xpowerfourms.

http://forums.xpowerforums.com/showthread.php?t=61233

ZS
19-02-13, 03:00 PM
Yeah I can't view xpowerforums since it has been classified as a phishing and spam site by Barracuda...

sneekyparrot
19-02-13, 04:25 PM
you should read up on it ive moved on quite a bit planning to remake spoiler out of carbon fibre and mount onto bootlid so it will be able to be acessed and hollow the spoiler will be functionional and should slow the car down in theory. ill post the link to the xpowerfourms.

http://forums.xpowerforums.com/showthread.php?t=61233

can't wait , I'll have one :w00t::w00t:

P.

buff-1
19-02-13, 04:28 PM
u say u want an air brake?

ZS
19-02-13, 04:29 PM

SneekyParrot needs one! lol thats one quick ZS! :smart:

petet16
19-02-13, 04:35 PM
Need more braking ?

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQap5iUchNHcfIY70aQll0XQOHhSDPRm OUktfg45jP9foPI7AVefA

sneekyparrot
19-02-13, 04:37 PM

hell yes, i would be the first to admit i'm a total tart with things like that hence snapping up the reyland when i could.

well unless its silly monies lol.

I am fitting a saloon spoiler to my hatch so it may need a little tweaking from the standard. The hatch boot could be strengthened with a frame inside that the spoiler bolts to so its not just fitted on the thin bodywork.

Yes the Audi powered ZS is a totally different beast to a normal zs and with the new build seeing an even more power full motor going in stopping will be fun :bounce:

beside it would be trick as F^ck:mml:

P.

buff-1
19-02-13, 04:58 PM
well the spoiler could cost a bit it will cost me a bit but most of thats due to needing to buy a spoiler and bootlid most of it shouldnt be to costly, i can work it out for u how much my proto type will cost but if you want one it would be cheaper than what mines would be their wpuldnt be a problem with the hatch if u are willing to give some boot space.

sneekyparrot
19-02-13, 05:04 PM
It's a stripped out track car m8 which now has even more tubing / roll cage picking up the rear struts and subframe so as long as there 's still room left to get a tool box in I'm fine with that ::-)

talkingcars
19-02-13, 05:11 PM
There is an MGF around with active spoilers, front and rear IIRC.

buff-1
19-02-13, 05:57 PM
would you want to open the boot lid ? just so i can have a ruff idea on how to nod my current design for the saloon it wont take up much space but as the hatch is as an engineer would say less stiff, but i will have a think if u provide me details or e.g spoiler height and dimentions and bootlid. would greatly help. this might cost a bit as the two actuators will cost 130 for the both but these are quick and strong.

buff-1
19-02-13, 05:58 PM
There is an MGF around with active spoilers, front and rear IIRC.

which mgr?

talkingcars
19-02-13, 07:25 PM
Try

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=mgf+spoiler&oq=mgf+spoiler&gs_l=youtube.3...20701.35314.0.36384.11.11.0.0.0.0 .121.765.10j1.11.0...0.0...1ac.1.xPFA08XPb0s

http://www.roughluckracing.com/

buff-1
19-02-13, 09:26 PM
thats looks good and im not goina hate it but at times it looks juggerdy l, but all credit to the man looks like a good design would like to get talking to him but i plan to be making it completey smooth kit and sneaky parrot what do you call expensive?

buff-1
22-02-13, 12:24 PM
xpowerforums updated will get all the pictures on xpower forums once i get on a computer tonite.

Skillen
22-02-13, 03:30 PM
thats looks good and im not goina hate it but at times it looks juggerdy

Not only that, but it bashes the paintwork on its leading edge!

buff-1
22-02-13, 08:49 PM
mines wont be hittin the paint or damaging the body. should be a good design and hopefully one will he made for a hatch for sneekyparrot.

Skillen
22-02-13, 09:13 PM
mines wont be hittin the paint or damaging the body. should be a good design and hopefully one will he made for a hatch for sneekyparrot.

something very wrong if you get a saloon wing to hit the car haha!

looking forward to more updates!

buff-1
22-02-13, 10:53 PM
thanks hope they come out soon and i might fall off but i dont want it to. (it wont though)

buff-1
22-02-13, 11:51 PM
below shows the pins cut to their required lenghts (made out of aluminium). the pins being turned down on the lathe. the frame and the brackets welding together although they need to be cleaned up but that will come at the end stages of the project. the diameter of the aluminium pins is 6mm and the bars that are made from steel are to be turned down to 10mm but i might be manufacuring them out of titinium.
these are the only pictures i can upload now as i have to crop all of my pictures from my iphone so that they can be posted here, will update soon thanks for all the intrest.

buff-1
02-03-13, 02:34 PM
the below link is a video which i posted today which has one of the two actuators showing it working.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?nomobile=1&v=P3Bl2H-zjx8

buff-1
04-03-13, 01:52 PM
pictures have been posted to xpowerfourms showing limit switches being fitted. will post here tonight.

buff-1
29-04-13, 08:29 AM
right firstly sorry i havent updated in a while im in a rush to get this whole thing finished and the rest of my course for the end of the year and trhe project has to be finished for the 21st of may as i am planning on going to an award competition called the BEST awards and hopefully ahve an chance at winning. I have lots of photos of what i have done, list of things that have been completed.

Full circuit wired up( actuators move up and stop at limit switches and move down at stop at limit switches all controlled by the brake light switch and the relays.)
Banks( Sides of spoiler manufactured) middle to be made very soon
brakets made,
pins made
holes cut in boot lid
L brackets made to join the spoiler to the bootlid along with expoxy resin

the spoiler will still have to be sanded down to give me the finish that i can best acheive with this type of moulding. i shall have all of the pictures that i have some time to transfer from fone to computer, if anyone is intrested in one pm me and i can do my best to help out

POMPSKI
29-04-13, 04:10 PM
Looking forward to seeing the finished item :)

talkingcars
29-04-13, 05:18 PM
.......... i shall have all of the pictures that i have some time to transfer from fone to computer, if anyone is intrested in one pm me and i can do my best to help out

tease - need a video as well.