PDA

View Full Version : car wont start :(

redzed
22-02-13, 12:33 PM
finally after 5 years i now get my first issues on my zed, car wont start today, after a push down my drive and bump start it will start but wont start on its own. IM guessing this is the starter motor? but can it be caused by any earthing issues? or alternator etc?

help appreciated

thanks

shaunyd
22-02-13, 12:48 PM
Is it clicking when you turn the key?

Captain Peanut
22-02-13, 12:49 PM
What happens when you try to turn it over?

Had this twice where mine wouldn't start without jump leads, the first time was a dead battery and the second was a dead alternator.

stamford
22-02-13, 12:59 PM
As asked, what is it or not doing exactly? Mine played up once, was the solenoid spade connector being corroded, didn't even click.

redzed
22-02-13, 01:33 PM
when i try to start it just makes one click, nothing else. battery is good, im going to try get a starter motor off my track car and replace see if that solves it.

redzed
22-02-13, 01:35 PM
Thing is thats weird is i used the car this morning and then 1 hour later it wouldnt start. got bump started left it for a while running, then turned off and it wount start again!

petet16
22-02-13, 02:04 PM
It sounds like the starter motor has expired, if it's the spade connector on the solenoid you don't get a click, just an ominous silence, and as it starts from a bump I'd say the engine earth is ok.

ZS
22-02-13, 03:33 PM
I lost the engine earth on my old 180 while driving... the engine carried on till I turned it off (the dials went crazy then nothing from them though!) after that would not start again...

I'd say check the earths to be sure, make sure the click you are hearing is not just the relay and the spade hasn't fallen off... (been done before!) and double check the battery too.

Another quick fix some times is to whack the starter motor while turning over, sometimes this jumps it into life :)

talkingcars
22-02-13, 06:05 PM
I've had an expired starter and years later a loose spade.

Earth strap is also a possible, if it's almost failed it could pass enough current to run the engine but not to start.

stamford
22-02-13, 06:13 PM
One trick, ignition on, short across the terminals to start the engine on the starter itself. Sometimes a sticky solenoid needs a little tap to persuade it but will lead to a replacement for sure.

redzed
23-02-13, 03:43 PM
replaced the starter motor and all is well now! thanks for help guys

Ritchy
23-02-13, 03:57 PM
May be worth looking at the solenoid on the old motor may be fixable as a spare