PDA

View Full Version : Optimistic mk2 valuation

Skillen
22-02-13, 08:28 PM
Very nice 180 in XPG on ebay.
I really got my hopes up as it's low milage just had belts done, not too far from me it's in fantastic condition and I'd love an XPG mk2.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=271160264007

Initially on there with a starting bid of £3699, I mailed to ask wether he was open to offers as that was a bit high and he says he'll update the description.
Open to offers over £3.5k!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was willing to go to nearly 2.5k for one like that, but that is way too much.

Or am I just silly?

Ritchy
22-02-13, 08:36 PM
Make your offer and tell him to think about it 2.5 is fair a price, initially he won't like this but after a week of no offers he may change his mind.

Word it something along the lines if: "hi i'm very intrested in the car, i have done some reasearch and I have valued the car to myself at 2,500, i know this is under your asking price but i'll let you think about it and you can let me know. If not i wish you the best with your sale"

BUCKYDEVIL
22-02-13, 08:50 PM
Make your offer and tell him to think about it 2.5 is fair a price, initially he won't like this but after a week of no offers he may change his mind.

Word it something along the lines if: "hi i'm very intrested in the car, i have done some reasearch and I have valued the car to myself at 2,500, i know this is under your asking price but i'll let you think about it and you can let me know. If not i wish you the best with your sale"

Sound word of wisdom there Ritchy.

Good luck & hope you get the car for the price you want.

MG ZS STE
22-02-13, 09:51 PM
Saw a ZS for 2.5k on auto trader the other day.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201202290107548/sort/default/usedcars/fuel-type/petrol/engine-size-cars/2l_to_2-5l/model/zs/make/mg/onesearchad/used/onesearchad/nearlynew/onesearchad/new/radius/1500/postcode/s367lx/page/3?logcode=p

Smokey
22-02-13, 09:58 PM
Sounds like his vis is knackered too. Only feels fast at 4500k revs

Skillen
22-02-13, 10:17 PM

Thanks for the advice mate!
I'll try my luck,
I don't think I'm being cheeky by offering a grand less as I feel £2.5k is good money for a ZS!

Good luck & hope you get the car for the price you want.
Thanks! :)
Saw a ZS for 2.5k on auto trader the other day.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201202290107548/sort/default/usedcars/fuel-type/petrol/engine-size-cars/2l_to_2-5l/model/zs/make/mg/onesearchad/used/onesearchad/nearlynew/onesearchad/new/radius/1500/postcode/s367lx/page/3?logcode=p wow! It's a stunning head turner! And a complete bargain!

Yeah I never feel my current 180 is a smooth delivery as It kicks at 2.5-3k and 4.5k if it is knackered I can easily swap them over.
I'll be doing that with door cards and leccy windows and soundproofing from the 51plate anyway.

Then a set of alcantaras, heated seat conversion on them! All the creature comforts as well as climate control :)

Alan.F
23-02-13, 06:00 AM

+1 Smokey i was going to say same thing

Skillen
23-02-13, 06:40 PM
Thanks for the answers, as said I'm very interested in a low mileage Mk2. Going off the basis it sounds as though your VIS motor is playing up as well as current market values for private sales on forums, eBay and auto-trader I'd like to make an offer of £2200. I know this is under your asking price but if you can think about it I'd be grateful, if not I wish you the best with your sale and thanks for your time.

Sound alright?
I know if put it at £2200 but think that's still quite good money I'm still willing to increase though.
Thanks.

Dan1971
23-02-13, 07:02 PM
I take your point, but here's how I'd play it.

If you have a contact email address what I'd do is send an email along the lines of -

Hi - your car pooks very nice, I've been looking for one for some time after selling my car "X" weeks ago, but I was wondering why it's priced so much higher than these - (insert some links to other cars at dealers) -

I'm in the market for a really nice Mk2 and yours looks to fit the bill. When would you be available for me to come and see the car ?

If I were a seller, I wouldn't show my hand to you price-wise unless you were there with pound notes ....

Skillen
23-02-13, 07:13 PM
I take your point, but here's how I'd play it.

If you have a contact email address what I'd do is send an email along the lines of -

Hi - your car pooks very nice, I've been looking for one for some time after selling my car "X" weeks ago, but I was wondering why it's priced so much higher than these - (insert some links to other cars at dealers) -

I'm in the market for a really nice Mk2 and yours looks to fit the bill. When would you be available for me to come and see the car ?

If I were a seller, I wouldn't show my hand to you price-wise unless you were there with pound notes ....

Okie doke that seems a fair way of putting it I'm not the best at wording this stuff. I've already asked the initial question of price on eBay :/ I don't think I can get his email :/

chris_minall
24-02-13, 10:35 AM
My 180 is in the same condition as this one but with only 30.000 miles on the clock,does that mean its worth more. ???.

petet16
24-02-13, 11:22 AM
It's worth what someone will pay mate.

Skillen
24-02-13, 04:09 PM
Well I'm out it seems.

Hi Callum.
Thanks for your query.
I suppose it is priced higher than most others because it is a really nice example and I know that it is worth it! It also has the benefit of the recent and expensive cambelt work having been done so that the next owner doesn't have to worry about a large bill for a very long time!
I know that no-one is going to bid on the car without seeing it so the price I am advertising it at should be viewed as my asking price and I will negotiate (a little bit!) after the auction has ended.
There are currently 24 people watching it at the moment so there will be some who are genuinely interested buyers.
Cheers for now.
Julian

- julian4160

Seems I'm not a genuinely interested buyer.
Well I'll wait then I'm not parting with £3+ grand can get two for that money.

Good luck to the buyer.

Dan1971
24-02-13, 04:14 PM
Well I'm out it seems.

Seems I'm not a genuinely interested buyer.
Well I'll wait then I'm not parting with £3+ grand can get two for that money.

Good luck to the buyer.

Perhaps a plea to those who are watching from here out of interest to de-watch ?

The response is fair to be honest .... Give him a week or so - then go see it. The thing is - it IS worth that, it's just that we know there are others available cheaper ....

Nice red one appeared on the bay yesterday....05 saloon for £2500 ono and it's got alcantara and belts done. Send him a link to that one.

Skillen
24-02-13, 04:33 PM
Perhaps a plea to those who are watching from here out of interest to de-watch ?

The response is fair to be honest .... Give him a week or so - then go see it. The thing is - it IS worth that, it's just that we know there are others available cheaper ....

Nice red one appeared on the bay yesterday....05 saloon for £2500 ono and it's got alcantara and belts done. Send him a link to that one.

I did and its closer to me, it's a nice one but I'm a bigger fan of xpg
I've got some time off in two weeks so ill be going for a few looks at some.
It is worth that in a strong market. But prices are sadly very low for them.

I have to admit I'm a serial watcher as I like to get a feel for their going rates but in this case it bumps up the sellers confidence in their item.

I bid him good luck with the sale. Told him again i was interested and asked if he didn't get any further with the sale to keep me in mind.

chris_minall
24-02-13, 05:00 PM
I paid £2.600 for mine about 6 months ago i have seen them go for less but i am happy with it and dont regret not waiting for a cheaper one. The cheaper ones all seem to have lots of miles on them.

Skillen
24-02-13, 05:15 PM
To be fair that's an alright price I didn't want to pay more than £2500 and I don't think I will.
The mileage is a huge bonus but similar quality can be had for less.
I'll just have to wait and see. One will come :)

peterzs
24-02-13, 07:39 PM
Now saying:- Starting bid:£3,349.00

Keep watching may come down to your price.

Skillen
24-02-13, 08:04 PM
Now saying:- Starting bid:£3,349.00

Keep watching may come down to your price.

Maybe in a couple months.
He messaged me saying he wouldn't let it go for less than £3k.
I'm interested to see what it sells for now.

Ricwin
27-02-13, 05:35 PM
Think most people would rather spend £2k-£2.5k on one and get the £500 belt job themselves, than pay £3.5k for one with belts done....

Theres gotta be something special or unique about that car for it to be worth over £3,000. Its only a tarted up Rover 45 after all...

Skillen
27-02-13, 05:45 PM
Still no bidders! Surprising .......

Still if he gets what he wants well played to him!
I'll buy it if He prices it lower.
But until then ill keep looking.

Skillen
27-02-13, 05:48 PM
Also at that price it needs to be top spec, matching alcantara, rear electrics, sunroof and a nice monogram colour.

WalkerDnB
27-02-13, 05:49 PM
Also at that price it needs to be top spec, matching alcantara, rear electrics, sunroof and a nice monogram colour.

and a high spec T16 conversion on top

Skillen
03-03-13, 07:20 PM
well less than two hours to go and it still has no bidders!

BUT..... on the 26 of feb there was 39 watchers!
Lucky him!

Skillen
03-03-13, 09:12 PM
And it ended with no bidders!

Skillen
22-03-13, 10:42 PM
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MG-ZS-180-V6-2-5-Xpower-Grey-metallic-with-genuine-36-210-miles-Service-History-/271174103290?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item3f233c70fa

He's back with an equally optimistic valuation.
Everyone should 'watch' it so he gets his little kicks again and thinks it is going to sell for £3.1k

petet16
22-03-13, 10:58 PM
Nice enough car, but it won't get much interest with a starting price that high.

Skillen
22-03-13, 11:00 PM
Nice enough car, but it won't get much interest with a starting price that high.

It's lovely, and nice milage but he's mad! Mad I tell you!

petet16
22-03-13, 11:06 PM
He needs to look at what they are actually selling for, I mean he bigs it up, then says the wheels could do with a refurb, eh !!, and a sales brochure to add to it's authenticity !!!.

Skillen
22-03-13, 11:20 PM
I've got my brothers '11 polo GTI brochure here I might put it in my ZR I'm selling and try and pass it off as that, might get £10k that way!

As I've said before for the price he wants it needs to be the top spec model
It doesn't have leccy rears, CD changer, alcantara rear reversing sensors.
And it only has 2 months left on tax and MOT.

carmadbaker
23-03-13, 06:02 AM
Beautiful car but waaay overpriced