PDA

View Full Version : Need some help please!

KirkJames
22-02-13, 08:42 PM
Hi everyone, not been on here for a while now as I have hardly been in the car. But no sooner as I am back in the car and put it round a nice roundabout and now it sounds like my cv joints are knocking but I only had them done about 5 months ago. It sounds different this time though and sounds like something is about to snap. Any ideas?
Mainly noisy round corners.

Captain Peanut
22-02-13, 09:09 PM
Did you change the ball joints when the cv joints were changed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KirkJames
22-02-13, 11:26 PM
Yeah, two new ball joints. After the mishap I had before!

fastmike
23-02-13, 06:38 AM
Check your wheel bolts and please do it before you drive it any more

KirkJames
23-02-13, 02:14 PM
Thanks mike,
I did have the wheel bearing done fairly recently and it was on the nearside which might make sense after a right hand turn. I'll check tomorrow buddy, if I can't see anything I will get the garage to check on Monday.
Better safe than sorry!

grimmy
23-02-13, 02:18 PM
Check the tightness of the hub nut I have had them loosen themselves before.

KirkJames
23-02-13, 02:38 PM
What's the torque setting for the hub nut Grimmy?

grimmy
23-02-13, 03:01 PM
I have no idea tbh on that one but I just put the socket on and got almost half a turn on the nut which cured the knocking so worth a look.

petet16
23-02-13, 06:06 PM
Something like 180 lb/ft, it's 'kin tight.

KirkJames
24-02-13, 12:24 AM
I knew it was bloody high like, can't see it mind but will have a butchers

KirkJames
11-03-13, 12:25 PM
It did turn out to be the cv joint on the drivers side. The numpty at the garage I had all the trouble with put the cv joints on with tie wraps and whilst I took the hard right the gaiter had split. I have got it booked in to have both done next week.
Although they did mention that the passenger side drive shaft has some play in it where it goes into the gearbox so I hope that's not something else that will cause me trouble.with