PDA

View Full Version : MK2 Saloon Exhaust Backbox

ZS
26-02-13, 03:50 PM
Does anyone have a spare MK2 Saloon Back box I can borrow?

I have an odd noise coming from the rear of the car and I am told it could be the backbox I have (or bearings but I am going to test that theory within the next 24 hours) and would like to put on a known "good" box to see if it makes a difference.

It will only be a fit, take it for a run to see if it solves the noise, then remove again (unless I can keep \ buy the box after)

If not then I'll have to look out for a Janspeed box....

petet16
26-02-13, 04:07 PM
What sort of odd noise ?:)

ZS
27-02-13, 08:21 AM
Its a deep\low whirring\rumble type of noise that occurs above 25 - 30 mph - From the back of the car

TBH I don't think it is the back box any more as coasted with engine off and noise is still there... So this thread is no longer required :)

However if you have any idea what the noise could be then I would be grateful for suggestions!

I have checked brakes are not binding and have checked the wheel bearings, which don't *seem* to be worn (no play and no noise when spun by hand)

petet16
27-02-13, 08:30 AM
I'm not sure tbh, wheel bearings are the most likely source, but if they've no play and are quiet when spun by hand, that seems to rule them out, so it may be worn bushes allowing the normal sound of rotating bearings to be transferred into the car.

ZS
27-02-13, 08:53 AM
Hmmm I have a source for poly bushes... maybe I should speak to him and get the setup delivered!