PDA

View Full Version : Oh dear!

stamford
04-03-13, 10:59 AM
I moved the zed yesterday in order to swap my 18s off, only to be greeted with disintegrated pads and rusty discs from where it has been idle since November! So apart from needing tyres and bottom balljoints I now need discs and pads allround by the looks of it! It's not looking too good! I was hoping to get it ready for PoL. I think that plan is now cancelled yet again! One year I will make it!

Anyone got any recommendations for discs? I would usually go for OE grade, Mintex etc but may consider a quality grooved and dimpled type if the price isn't too steep plus it'll look nicer behind the wheels. Plenty on the bay, but some look tacky.

Maxfly
04-03-13, 11:08 AM
not good mick, I usually look through brake parts international and find them good to deal with. They might have decent upgraded stuff that would suit your needs:)

Captain Peanut
04-03-13, 11:58 AM
Have heard good things of MTEC:

http://www.mtecbrakes.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=7_31_57

stamford
04-03-13, 11:58 AM
Cheers Gary, I'll have a look.

petet16
04-03-13, 11:59 AM
www.brakeparts.co.uk I've used them a few times now, they're easy to deal with and the quality seems good.

daytona365
04-03-13, 08:33 PM
I could have let you have my old discs, but they now in firms skip.

It will haev to come to POL on the trailer...................no excuses lol..

Now if you used it more??? Put the Vectra on SORN!

WalkerDnB
04-03-13, 08:36 PM
just get the angle grinder on them

Good as new ;)

stamford
04-03-13, 08:42 PM
Rears are only a year old and can be cleaned up, got a carbide tool for cleaning. Fronts need changing as they have been on for 8+ years believe it or not and have worn extremely well. They are most likely on its bottom limit now but still smooth. MTEC is looking a good option for all corners with Mintex pads.

Rossy
05-03-13, 12:20 AM
Same happened to my 180 was laid for 4 years but was turned over regularly fired up nearly always on the first turn even after 2/3 weeks and was under a cover but my tyres failed so could not move so much then when it came out of mothballs,had to replace all discs and pads with new grooved and drilled and green stuff pads ,service kits for pistons , replace front reluctor rings and got a good deal on alloys with tyres so it was mobile again the replaced the exhaust with s/s cat back system from cy box ,then discovered that mice had got in behind the dash and squatted there for a while dining on electrics so a major rewire new dials and speedo cluster now plasma type and to cap it all the last few weeks been having clutch problems so now looks like a new clutch ??? .The car flew through mot and the guy said you've spent a few bob on that since the last time I tested it !!!! no s**t batman ..... but after all my problems and on going mods and upgrades still love my zed and to hear the v6 is absolute music to my ears all be it a bit louder now ,,onwards and upwards also thanks to guys on here and others for advice and remedy's ....keep the faith !!!!

Dan1971
05-03-13, 06:53 AM
Meet to get it all done? Brakes scare me a bit so wouldn't mind watching and learning ? Could do with some vis testers fitted if you can still get hold of them, maybe a manifold, and Sam has a little something for me too......

stamford
05-03-13, 07:00 AM
Not sure when this will get done as not budgeted for a brake overhaul! I was only looking to get new tyres. I can get away with rear pads for now and do the discs in a couple of months time as the zed doesn't get as much use as it used to. I'll have to see what is left once the remaining windows and conservatory roof have been replaced.

Brakes do not faze me, not alot does tbh, just need to watch my back and this stupid tennis elbow!

daytona365
05-03-13, 06:28 PM
Meet to get it all done? Brakes scare me a bit so wouldn't mind watching and learning ? Could do with some vis testers fitted if you can still get hold of them, maybe a manifold, and Sam has a little something for me too......

Souds good..........................:construction:

Dan1971
05-03-13, 06:50 PM
..... just need to watch my back and this stupid tennis elbow!

Which is the whole idea of getting mugs like me to come round and labour for you, in return for expert tutelage ..... ;)

stamford
05-03-13, 07:11 PM
Steady with the 'expert' bit ;)

petet16
05-03-13, 07:14 PM
Would you prefer consultant

Dan1971
05-03-13, 07:14 PM
Steady with the 'expert' bit ;)

Sorry maestro ..... :bow:

stamford
05-03-13, 07:34 PM
Would you prefer consultant

Yes! :D they get paid alot more!

Sorry maestro ..... :bow:

I know I am old but really that 'Austin' old? :laugh:

MG 53 ZED
06-03-13, 09:30 AM
Mick i have done the 180 brake upgrade on my TD and i used the MTEC brake discs all round, been on the car for almost a year had no problems with them. Happy with how they perform.

stamford
06-03-13, 09:37 AM
Mick i have done the 180 brake upgrade on my TD and i used the MTEC brake discs all round, been on the car for almost a year had no problems with them. Happy with how they perform.

Excellent, just what I wanted to hear :thumbsup: