PDA

View Full Version : Front suspension knock

s1nn0n
06-03-13, 04:52 PM
Hi All,
My ZS has had a knock, well more of bang, when going down potholes or uneven road surfaces, and is coming from both sides at the front of the car. It has got worse, the car now feels very unsteady going round faster right hand turns, the car feels to dip a lot more. Under hard braking the car also dips somewhat, and feels very unsteady.

I have checked the car over, cant see any movement in any bushes or the anti roll bar and cant see any fluid leak from the shockers. Could this be the top mounts? The car has 60k miles on the clock. And its a 180.

Captain Peanut
06-03-13, 05:02 PM
Are the springs ok?

My wifes A Class had a similar issue but with the rear suspension and it turned out to be a fractured spring.

petet16
06-03-13, 05:03 PM
It could be the shocks, just because there is no fluid leak doesn't mean they aren't worn out, have you bounced the front corners to check the shocks.

s1nn0n
06-03-13, 05:08 PM
I haven't had the wheels off, so couldn't get to see the whole of the spring, will check those in the morning.

I have bounced the front corners, to be honest there isn't much movement there, but I don't know what a ZS should be like as standard :noexpression:

petet16
06-03-13, 05:13 PM
It sounds like the shocks are probably ok, if it had been soft and bouncy then it would have pointed towards shocks.

Broken springs are a possibility, although not common on ZS's.

Jono-MG
07-03-13, 06:12 PM
I've had some bangs and pings come from larger stones flying up into the plastic arches or off the springs, any chance?

Does the car still track true under breaking despite the dipping?