PDA

View Full Version : Custom Console for sale.... gauging interest

Smokey
09-03-13, 06:35 PM
Had a few conversations about this with others but kind of want to figure out if this would be financially worthwhile and if there is an interest in it.

As you know, I have a carPC build on the go that's pretty much complete:

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff96/smokeysworld/IMG_0821.jpg

However, I was never happy with the silver wrap and had a few bits need smoothed that bothered me.

I then decided to go in a different direction as I kept forgetting to hook up the netbook when I went on journeys so defeated the purpose. I am now about to install a 7" tablet running Android which means refabricating the console slightly.

I then thought about the potential to make a little money :)

I have a spare mk2 console (ATC version) and, through measuring, know I could fit a 7" Tablet without moving switches or anything, it would look completely stock except the screen would be fitted and the stereo would be relocated to the ashtray area (losing the ashtray of course!)

I know its hard to image as I haven't built it yet, but try!

Prerequisite would be that your current stereo would need rear aux or phono input to plug in the audio.

What you would get

7" Tablet custom fitted to dash, switch to operate lock/unlock button. (There would be a variety of tablet options depending on spec required)

The tablet would run proper sat nav programs, OBD2 diagnostics, music, videos, wifi internet, 3G dongle addition if required), bluetooth, custom MG boot up screens and an easy to use interface. It would look as stock as possible without getting a company to build a system for your car.

The console would retain the cigar lighter socket and would also have a USB slot for adding extra storage or transferring data, films, songs to tablet.

The console would be designed so that the tablet would not be modified structurally so could be removed and replaced should that time come or an upgrade was desired. It would also then, keep it's warranty.

Price would vary greatly, depending on the tablet required. The options listed about would be the same on all systems, the differences would be in hardware (processor/ram etc) and screen quality and resolution.

As a rough guide, the basic model would be around £350. This would go up to around £400 to include a basic car stereo with aux in. Price does vary massively depending on what you want, but as I say, would still include the above features.

The console would then be sprayed in a colour of your choice and would include gaiter surround.

This is all a gauging interest thread at the moment as I would only build the first one with a deposit and the timescale could be around 3 weeks as I work full time!

The console would be complete plug'n'play so fitting would be the reverse of removing your console as it would include harness extension for the stereo relocation and it would all be powered up once connections were replaced.

*This is a hobby, I am not a professional fabricator or electrician but I would not supply something substandard and I would only take the money once I was 100% happy it was fully tested and working.

KevG
09-03-13, 06:41 PM
Blair, Good idea, but you will need to make the whole thing totally idiot proof.

Smokey
09-03-13, 07:14 PM
Hence the plug'n'play. It will be wired in a way that if you can follow a 'remove your centre console' guide, the refit will be identical. A guide will also be provided.

Smokey
09-03-13, 11:14 PM
I haven't had a proper look at the mk1 dash, I'll check the track car next time, but I will be looking at the possibility of doing mk1 console upgrade ass well as mk2 with dials.

talkingcars
10-03-13, 06:10 AM
Mk1 won't be as easy to make fool proof as you'll have to move the dials which will mean altering the cables possibly. Also on the mk1 the dials are not on the consol but a seperate panel mounted behind it.

Smokey
10-03-13, 07:29 AM
Which is why I will check out the track car. I would be looking at keeping them in place if possible.

Dan1971
10-03-13, 07:41 AM
Mate .... You just have too much time on your hands .... !!!

I think it's a great call, and if I had a Mk2 as a main car, I'd get one from you....

All the best with it mate.

ZS
10-03-13, 08:25 AM
Would you supply the console and allow the customer to fit their own tablet?

Also would you want their old (now not required) console as a kind of trade in?

stamford
10-03-13, 08:43 AM
A great idea, if you can pull it off! People must learn to be patient with something such as this as you are doing this as a hobby as such. Don't forget the shipping costs and packaging as although light it will be big. As Sam said a trade-in surcharge will be a good idea, add the cost to buy another on top and when the transaction is complete you can refund the surcharge on receipt of their original unit.

Good luck and a great project to offer the members.

magpie67
10-03-13, 08:45 AM

good call :mml:

very interesting idea though, good luck, hope it works out

carmadbaker
10-03-13, 09:16 AM
quality idea mate, like it! :thumbsup:

talkingcars
10-03-13, 11:24 AM
Mk1 won't be as easy to make fool proof as you'll have to move the dials which will mean altering the cables possibly. Also on the mk1 the dials are not on the consol but a seperate panel mounted behind it.

Just measured the area above the heater dials - it is 9" wide and 4.5" high.
If you lose the clock and relocate the hazard and HRW switches to the 2 blacks that are for the heated seat switchs you could use the space, should look very O/E.

Jay-ZS+
10-03-13, 02:04 PM
Blair, Good idea, but you will need to make the whole thing totally idiot proof.

Yer and then some!!!

Its a great idea but speaking from experience, with vis kits, may well become the baine of your life!

Personally I wouldn't give people too may options as will make things so complicated for you.

KevG
10-03-13, 04:04 PM
Yer and then some!!!

Its a great idea but speaking from experience, with vis kits, may well become the baine of your life!

Personally I wouldn't give people too may options as will make things so complicated for you.

Seconded on that one.

Smokey
10-03-13, 06:03 PM
Right, few points to clear up....

Console without tablet....possible but there will be issues regarding buttons. Most tablets have a lock button (at least) on the side which needs to be used to unlock the tablet. I plan to install a switch and a solenoid to activate this button as there would be no other access. If you chose the tablet and I ordered it, then fine, I could do that but I couldn't supply the console without having the tablet in my possession without there being extra work needed. Also the screen size, although similar, vary depending on each 7" tablet.

This is definately something I thought of and if postage cost was minimal, then yes, I would be interested in discount refund on receiving it.

People must learn to be patient with something such as this as you are doing this as a hobby as such

Yup, whole-heartedly agree. 3 weeks would be a rough turnaround but things happen. A full refund would be available if it exceeded 6 weeks and updates on progress would be evident on this very site in the 'build' section.

Don't forget the shipping costs and packaging as although light it will be big.

As this is a gauging interest, my price is rough (but most likely feasible, bear in mind I have bought the parts for my own project) but I did take in to consideration the p&p.

Just measured the area above the heater dials - it is 9" wide and 4.5" high.
If you lose the clock and relocate the hazard and HRW switches to the 2 blacks that are for the heated seat switchs you could use the space, should look very O/E

Wont need to lose the clock, it has been done before, just couldn't remember if it was a mk1 but the pic below confirms there is space to keep everything else standard. The cables controlled by the dials are only moved inches and this guy has it functioning so that's what I'd be going with. Luckily I have a spare mk1 and mk2 console to play with :)

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/205/31865662.jpg

This is not what mine would look like, it shows the screen location though. The stereo would be at the lowest point.

Personally I wouldn't give people too may options as will make things so complicated for you

I won't be doing these in the volume you did the VIS kits so hopefully less pressure.
There aren't going to be too many options, I would just need to know which tablet to buy first (I will supply a list of suitable bargain and quality options). Other than that, all the listed options will be available for all. If there is something specific, I will advise with that person if it is viable and at what extra cost. It won't be a production line, this is a custom project.

As a foot note. I know there will be reservations on the product, it's quality and whether I can achieve the outcome. I made the basics of my car pc (ie the console section) very quickly and it was only complicated due to the whole thing being custom. This won't be the case with this set up.

Also, if you don't know me, have faith. I always put my best in to things which is why the Forza Championship has completed it's 6th season and the site track car project is about to go in to it's second year. I also wouldn't sell something I wouldn't put in my own car...and I'm fussy about that!

peterzs
10-03-13, 06:40 PM
Lost me completly, but I have the faith and know you wouldnt commit to something that wouldnt be supplied by you, 100% correct.

Best of luck with it and hope you get some uptake.

:beer2::beer2::beer2:

talkingcars
10-03-13, 07:45 PM
IIRC that mk1 pictured above was a carputer that used a laptop under the passanger seat so didn't need a headunit for audio functions, a tablet would be a much neater solution.

Some phones have an unlock using 2 on screen buttons as an alternative to the lock button on the side.

Smokey
10-03-13, 07:51 PM
Yup, most phones have a button on it's face, so does the ipad mini. Most budget ones don't though hence I would have to locate a suitable button.

The one pictured is indeed a carPC built in much the same way as my current set up. And in full agreement, tablets are a much better option due to it being all in one. Sadly at time of my project, prices were still a touch high. As the tablet market has boomed, so too have prices dropped, hence why it's more viable.

Defo singing from the same hym sheet here mate.

BUCKYDEVIL
10-03-13, 09:10 PM
[QUOTE=peterzs;299524]Lost me completly, but I have the faith and know you wouldnt commit to something that wouldnt be supplied by you, 100% correct.

Best of luck with it and hope you get some uptake.

I concur..

Malteser
14-03-13, 05:58 AM
I would be interested to see a Mk1 centre console mockup...I've thought of doing it to mine for a while but have other stuff to do to the car first.

ZS
14-03-13, 08:18 AM
The console would be designed so that the tablet would not be modified structurally so could be removed and replaced should that time come or an upgrade was desired. It would also then, keep it's warranty.

Console without tablet....possible but there will be issues regarding buttons. Most tablets have a lock button (at least) on the side which needs to be used to unlock the tablet. I plan to install a switch and a solenoid to activate this button as there would be no other access. If you chose the tablet and I ordered it, then fine, I could do that but I couldn't supply the console without having the tablet in my possession without there being extra work needed. Also the screen size, although similar, vary depending on each 7" tablet.

Wouldn't your second comment there mean that it would not be easy to upgrade the tablet as in your first comment? - Not criticising :) just wondering.

I have two 7" tablets sitting at home, if I could use one of these with a console that you provide that would be perfect for me... Of course if that required posting you the tablet first so that you can build the console around it then that's fine as well.

Oooo if you were to corner very hard could the G forces make the screen turn 90 degrees? (How many people will try that!?! lmao) :trampoline:

Smokey
14-03-13, 09:05 AM
I can see how contradictory that sounds! To explain....

Doing the console without a tablet to work from means that it won't be completely plug and play due to the solenoid needing to be in the right position to activate the lock switch. This means that it wont be as plug'n'play. What I would propose to do in these circumstances is supply the solenoid connected to a rail (allowing the solenoid to move horizontally) and it would be up to the end user to position the rail perfectly for their chosen tablet.

Here is a basic diagram which I hope explains it:

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff96/smokeysworld/Console/Rearsetup_zps24309137.jpg

I would supply the screws to allow for fitting without coming through the front of the console lol!

Smokey
14-03-13, 09:06 AM
Also, I use rotation locker so won't have the 'g' turning my screen lol!

Smokey
14-03-13, 09:28 AM
What I have discovered (after returning 2 tablets) is that cheap tablets are no use if you want sat nav as very few include gps or bluetooth. The cheapest, reliable and decent one is the Nexus 7 which has wifi, bluetooth, gps and 3G with a dongle. It has a great screen, good hdd capacity and runs smoothly. It's £169 on ebay which sadly makes my project prices go up if its the one of choice. Budget one would be Freelander PD20 which has great GPS (even out here in Crieff when my phone loses signal!) but not great screen resolution but it's £100 so makes for a cheaper option.

All up to the end user and what they want out of it though!

magpie67
14-03-13, 04:54 PM
be defo interested in seeing a mk1 variant :punk:

Smokey
14-03-13, 10:56 PM
This will happen when I get the mk1 back to my house. I will strip out the console and see what's what!

Smokey
03-04-13, 01:25 PM
Right, been rethinking this to make it more "universal"

Would there still be the same interest if, instead of smoothed fit console as mine looks at the moment, I was thinking of doing it "tape deck" style design. This would work on a rack and pinion type set up just like old school tapes, except you would be putting your tablet in the slot.

PRO'S

No need for buyer to 'adjust' things to suit
I wouldn't need to make them different depending on tablet
Allows user to remove tablet at will from car to use at home etc
Great anti-theft setup
Access to all buttons on tablet instead of buttons added to console
Any 7" (or less) tablet could be used

CON'S

Wouldn't look as smooth/built in

All I would need from the buyer is the exact dimensions of the "window" for the tablet to be viewed.

I could go in to tiny build details but want opinions on this first. Basically, if I did it to my current setup, it would look more like the attached picture, ie. it will have a small gap around the screen

POMPSKI
03-04-13, 01:52 PM
Id be extremely interested in that, tape deck idea is superb to be fair.

Smokey
03-04-13, 10:54 PM
Cheers Pompski. My Google Nexus 7 will arrive in a couple of days so I will be making proper headway into my own one. Thinking I'm going to go the 'tape deck' route for my own too as I will probably end up using the tablet in the house and I can add stuff via PC easier.

Smokey
04-04-13, 12:18 AM
Also, with this "tape deck" method, I can easily do mk1 dashes and mk2 with dial controls by relocating the switches on the top row to lower down the console whilst keeping the dials in their original position.

Malteser
04-04-13, 05:30 AM
I would be interested in seeing this tape deck version for sure since I have a mk1 console.

Smokey
04-04-13, 07:58 AM
I will most likely be starting with a mk2 with ATC then a mk1 as I have both of these spare to experiment with. Will get some pictures up once I begin.

Smokey
12-04-13, 07:46 PM
OK, a little update.

After two cheap (£100) tablets that didn't fit the bill in different ways, whether it be no Bluetooth, no GPS or not easy to root, I finally settled on spending £160 on a Nexus 7.

Best decision ever!

I can confirm that with a £10 OBD Bluetooth adapter, Torque app runs flawlessly and has a great selection of options form displays and data, even fuel, trip and mpg options live and average etc. An amazing app.

Also,the Nexus connected to my stereo via Bluetooth and there was no issues with both running via Bluetooth either.

So the tablet is confirmed, next is swapping the current PC touchscreen with the tablet.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

POMPSKI
12-04-13, 08:13 PM
Good work, I look forward to seeing more :D

Smokey
12-04-13, 09:12 PM
Going to start working on some custom dials on the app too so watch out for an MG themed dial set to download!

Smokey
15-04-13, 03:22 PM
Well made a start on a subtle theme for the dials, see attached.

Also order £50 worth of parts to upgrade the current pc console go the "tape deck" style front for my Nexus 7. It also includes a fan to keep the air circulating.

Smokey
15-04-13, 03:24 PM
Needle colour won't stay, was just testing it was changeable.

Malteser
15-04-13, 03:30 PM
Hey smokey, Any idea of how the MK1 console would look? Im trying to wrap my head around this tape deck thing and cant seem to figure out what you mean?

Smokey
15-04-13, 03:45 PM
It'll make more sense once mine is built as it will be exactly the same system in mk1 consoles. The puzzle for me is the fan controls location.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk HD

Smokey
25-04-13, 07:27 PM
Well I took my console out and made a start removing the old 7" touch screen and dvd-rw drive. Have also cut the first piece to hols the screen.

Looks a mess just now!!

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff96/smokeysworld/20130425_171547_zpsc251f3cc.jpg

Malteser
25-04-13, 07:42 PM
Holy China connectors Batman! lol

Smokey
25-04-13, 07:48 PM
Got to test everything works before fitting somehow lol, even have a car battery in the house now to test things!

Malteser
25-04-13, 07:49 PM
Got to test everything works before fitting somehow lol, even have a car battery in the house now to test things!

Bahaha!! That's great! good luck with everything and can't wait to see the results! (More waiting for the MK1 console though ;) )

Smokey
25-04-13, 08:03 PM
Won't be too long. This one will be done within a week I hope.

Malteser
25-04-13, 09:45 PM
That's what I like to hear! Great work buddy! Keep it up!

Mathew_ZS
23-06-13, 05:14 PM
what has the progress been on this, i am very interested in one!

Smokey
23-06-13, 06:13 PM
It was paused due to faulty parts but have now been replaced so am finishing it in a few days!

Mathew_ZS
23-06-13, 08:18 PM
It was paused due to faulty parts but have now been replaced so am finishing it in a few days!

Be awesome to see the finished article, will it be up for sale or your own personal use?

Smokey
23-06-13, 11:00 PM
First one mine then possibly others

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

POMPSKI
23-06-13, 11:40 PM
Still interested if you do this smokey!

Smokey
24-06-13, 01:31 AM
Mine is 70% finished, had to wait on the replacement parts though. Am annual leave in July so will have loads of time for the projects ahead!

Malteser
24-06-13, 04:48 AM
Still interested to see how it'll look!

Malteser
16-01-14, 07:36 AM
Any updates on this?

Smokey
16-01-14, 06:37 PM
Frustratingly, my tablet decided to self destruct a couple of months ago so it was put on the back burner. However, I have since acquired another one so have made some headway. I will have some progress pics in a day or two. Annoyingly, the actual console has taken me one day to go from standard to almost finished (just some more filler which I ran out of and have now ordered!) so not a long project if I get the time to do it!