PDA

View Full Version : mk2 wiring diagram

petet16
13-03-13, 02:18 PM
As the title really, I need a wiring diagram for the mk2 heated rear window switch.

I've got a switch to use for my heated windscreen when it turns up, and just need to know which terminals on the switch do what.

stamford
13-03-13, 03:21 PM
My god, one to put in the calendar people, Pete needs our help! :laugh:

I take it the mk1 is too dissimilar then?

Mark S
13-03-13, 05:36 PM
I think its a momentary contact rather than a switch, so you would need a little switching circuit behind it.#

Is it not easier to wire up a relay on the wires that go from the BCU to the rear heated screen?

petet16
13-03-13, 05:43 PM
I had considered linking in to the hrw wires from the bcu to switch a relay, I'm just a bit concerned about how temperamental the bcu can be.

The switch would have to be used with a latching relay because as you say it is a momentary switch, so press it once to latch the relay, and again to unlatch.

Smokey
13-03-13, 05:58 PM
Momentary Switch for sure.

4 wires, Black, Red/Black, Yellow/White and Yellow/Blue

Black - Common
Yellow/White is Normally Open
Yellow/Blue is a +ve voltage for Tell-Tale light
Red/Black is +ve voltage for the light

Hope this helps?

petet16
13-03-13, 06:25 PM
Cheers Smokey that's a big help, it confirms that the mk1 wiring diagram is the same as the mk 2 for the heated rear window, ideally I want to make the front screen work with the rear so that they're both on a timed cycle.

Smokey
13-03-13, 06:27 PM
So only having one switch? Surely that would be the easiest way to go?

petet16
13-03-13, 06:32 PM
Yes, just the rear screen switch, and use the +ve feed to the hrw element to switch a relay for the front screen, Then just source a live feed for the front screen element, the easiest way to do that is by using one of the spare connections on the fuse box in the cabin

Smokey
13-03-13, 06:35 PM
Sounds like a plan. Shame you are getting the screen just as the warm weather is appearing. Will be an awesome mod come the frosty mornings though!

petet16
13-03-13, 06:38 PM
lol yeah tell me about it, the plan was for them to be ready last year, but it took forever to get enough people for the group buy.

Smokey
13-03-13, 06:41 PM
I was tempted, but cost was the issue.

petet16
13-03-13, 06:47 PM
Indeed, it hasn't worked out to be a cheap mod, I kind of justified it because I need a new screen anyway, the one fitted now looks like it's been used for an ice hockey match:sad:

Smokey
13-03-13, 07:59 PM
Yeah, I would have done it if that was the case. Still got a few bits to do first anyways!

talkingcars
13-03-13, 08:25 PM
Any news on when they are ready?

Sounds like a plan. Shame you are getting the screen just as the warm weather is appearing. Will be an awesome mod come the frosty mornings though!

Warm weather? We had the worst snow of the winter on Monday!

KevG
13-03-13, 08:35 PM
Pete, Judging from past and current experience with the ZS, the HRW is a weird circuit, it does have a timer on it but that said timer can time out in as little as 2-3mins depending on the exterior temp, but this could all be linked up to the Mk2 ATC system, I have noticed that the HRW can stay on for the max of 15mins yet other times it can only stay on for 2-3mins, which will be enough for the FRW to defrost like the Ford system. I would also like to try and figure out where the constant live is to run the mirrors off the HRW too as having them on all time is simply a stupid idea.

petet16
13-03-13, 08:45 PM
I had noticed that the hrw could be a bit random in the amount of time it stays on, it affects both our zs's one with atc, and one without.

There is a switch available for the heated mirrors, but I've never seen a zs with it fitted, so it could be only 400's had it, it fit's where the headlamp level switch is on the zs.

petet16
13-03-13, 08:47 PM
Number 15 on the link http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID003240

KevG
13-03-13, 08:49 PM
I had noticed that the hrw could be a bit random in the amount of time it stays on, it affects both our zs's one with atc, and one without.

There is a switch available for the heated mirrors, but I've never seen a zs with it fitted, so it could be only 400's had it, it fit's where the headlamp level switch is on the zs.

Is that the Honda variant switch?
http://i.ebayimg.com/t/2001-Honda-Civic-1-6-1-7-1-8-2-0-type-S-R-electric-mirror-fold-switch-/00/s/MTA2NlgxNjAw/z/MwcAAMXQlUNRN6dz/$T2eC16VHJHIE9nyseF5YBRN6dze80w~~60_12.JPG

talkingcars
13-03-13, 08:52 PM
I think the mirror switch was only on honda engined cars.

petet16
13-03-13, 08:55 PM
Hmm, interesting, that switch you got a picture of Kev looks like it would be a straight swap with the zs mirror switch.

petet16
13-03-13, 09:19 PM
The +ve feed for the mirror heating elements are the Blue and Red wires, one going to each mirror, they are separately earthed to the earth point at the base of the r/h A pillar, so it would be easy to make a switched earth to give you control over the heaters being on or off.

Smokey
13-03-13, 09:23 PM
Sounds like a sensible mod. I don't even know if mine work as my drivers side one is a replacement!

petet16
13-03-13, 09:30 PM
The glass will feel warm if they're working.

KevG
13-03-13, 10:58 PM
Looking at the wiring diagram for the Mk2, looks as though the drivers and passenger mirrors are separately powered, the passenger mirror is fused via Fuse26 (15amp), whereas the driver mirror is powered via the mirror switch, both are earth at the same point though.

KevG
13-03-13, 11:22 PM
Heated Rear Window Diagram

petet16
14-03-13, 09:57 AM
Cheers for those Kev, that shows the switched earth idea would work for mk2 mirror heaters, and also switching a relay for the front screen.