PDA

View Full Version : please help going to at a 180 this afternoon

william lam
17-03-13, 07:35 AM
Hi all

Am new to the site and hoping to get a mg zs today so after some advice really.

I am going to be having a look today at a mg zs 180 and have heard they are the better engine to go for as they dont suffer the awkward headgasket problems, is this true? i have read so many things about them and dont know whats wrong or right, so confusing!!

The car is a 2002 model and have only done 71k with a fsh and timing belt was changed at 60k

I was going to get a 120+ but been advice to stay well clear!

Any help would be much appreciated

thank you

William

stamford
17-03-13, 07:47 AM
Firstly :hi:

Nothing wrong with the 120 as long as you have some history with it and have it checked by a competent person. The HGF issues can be resolved easily and not that expensive. Take a look at the buyers guide, link in my signature.

Happy hunting!

180 is the one to have as the engine is superb for a V6, great soundtrack and if driven sensibly not bad on mpg. I have had mine 8 years and still love it :D

william lam
17-03-13, 07:52 AM
thank you

during your 8 years of ownership any major problems.. i read somewhere about inlet manifolds failing? how can you tell if it is failing

Dan1971
17-03-13, 07:55 AM
Welcome ....

2 very different cars mate. Aesthetically very similar if you get a 120 with 180 kit on it - skirts, fogs and straights on a mk1 - same, but 11 spokes on a mk2.

The difference in terms of driving experience is one that's been discussed many times.

A 120 is lighter so some say a better handling car, but the 180 has so much more power and torque with a great roar from the engine it's a personal choice.

Running costs, particularly the insurance is an issue for some. At a rough guess you'll get about 10 more mpg from a 120 and make sure you get a quote for insurance as a 180 is expensive. Tax will set you back £270 for a 180 at least.

Mechanically, the 120 does have notoriety for head gasket failure, but you'll find that many avoid this with a decent service history and/or an upgraded head using a land rover upgrade.

If running costs are an issue and you want petrol - 120 will be cheaper. If running costs aren't so much of an issue - a 180 is a great car.

Don't discount the diesel though. More mpg and a 115 is tunable easily to about 140/150 bhp for about £200 .... and still give you 45+mpg.

Hope that helps - my personal opinions - otherwise there are buyers guides on the site.

william lam
17-03-13, 08:02 AM
thank you any info is appreciated and i have look and read through so many things and ppl suggesting different things also over the internet.

Running cost wont be a issue as am sure it wont cost half as much as my e46 330. The 180 would be a daily use for the missus and our little girl. We currently have a focus 3 door and need something more practical and of course 4 door (missus say so) and i wanted something still with abit of poke lol

Mark S
17-03-13, 08:33 AM
Running cost wont be a issue as am sure it wont cost half as much as my e46 330. The 180 would be a daily use for the missus and our little girl. We currently have a focus 3 door and need something more practical and of course 4 door (missus say so) and i wanted something still with abit of poke lol

running cost will be about the same as the 330i, the 330i is also a lot quicker than the zs180.

KirkJames
17-03-13, 09:32 AM
running cost will be about the same as the 330i, the 330i is also a lot quicker than the zs180.

It's not a lot quicker, I have come up against a few and, yes, they have been in front but not by a big margin.............

On a private track of course :)

william lam
17-03-13, 09:51 AM
just done a insurance qutoe and the 180 is only £430 per year thats for me (33) and my partner(26) and only £40 more than the 120+

stamford
17-03-13, 09:56 AM
The common faults are covered in the guide and in various threads. Only issues being noise and loss of power. This will not damage the engine. In 8 years I have replaced the plenum once and repaired the vis motors many times. Other than that it has been wear and tear items. This MG has been the most reliable car I have ever owned, with near on 60 cars in my lifetime that is some statement!

william lam
17-03-13, 10:10 AM
The common faults are covered in the guide and in various threads. Only issues being noise and loss of power. This will not damage the engine. In 8 years I have replaced the plenum once and repaired the vis motors many times. Other than that it has been wear and tear items. This MG has been the most reliable car I have ever owned, with near on 60 cars in my lifetime that is some statement!

wow thats a lot of cars... sorry to sound dumb but what is plenum and vis?:unsure:

stamford
17-03-13, 10:19 AM
wow thats a lot of cars... sorry to sound dumb but what is plenum and vis?:unsure:

Have a read of this, it may shed some light on the subject.

http://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=84

Plenum is the plastic top section of the inlet manifold, it houses the plenum chambers and the vis motors are two units that control the power valve assembly and the balance valve assembly. This controls the opening and closing of said valves and controls the power and torque spread by the ecu. A common feature seen across various other manufacturers.

talkingcars
17-03-13, 10:23 AM
Hi and welcome to the MGZS - pleased you made it across.

The plenum is the inlet manifold (has 6 black pipes coming off it) and the vis is the veriable intake system (mounted inside the pelnum.

I've had my ZS for over 5 years and 70k and still on the original plenum and vis.

Other points to watch are the clutch hydraulics which fail, door handles that break and brakes that stick, other than that the 180 is quite solid.

James

william lam
17-03-13, 10:51 AM
Hi and welcome to the MGZS - pleased you made it across.

The plenum is the inlet manifold (has 6 black pipes coming off it) and the vis is the veriable intake system (mounted inside the pelnum.

I've had my ZS for over 5 years and 70k and still on the original plenum and vis.

Other points to watch are the clutch hydraulics which fail, door handles that break and brakes that stick, other than that the 180 is quite solid.

James

Hi James are these point expensive to repair also how would you know if the hydraulic are going. Thanks