PDA

View Full Version : Just hit a cyclist (no one hurt)...

DuckFeet
19-03-13, 08:41 AM
...wasn't as much fun as I had hoped. Technically he hit me. He got dinged*
but he and bike are ok. Luckily(?!) I was in the missus car so I can go with "it's only metal". Next on my to-do list is learn how to repair scratches.

For discussion: I won't go with who was to blame, but more "how could this have been avoided?". I'm blaming the *** who blocked the entrance though. Wenker.

Green = cyclepath, so technically he was on the road. And I was on the wrong side of the road, but that was necessary to get to the car park. All other traffic was stationary.
Orange cross = impact
Blue square = me
red square = cheers for blocking the road MATE.

http://i645.photobucket.com/albums/uu178/DuckFeetOi/Cyclist_zps4d757d92.png?t=1363685991

*WWE 2000 on the N64 reference.

Captain Peanut
19-03-13, 08:50 AM
Is this a two way road? Just confused as to why you were on the wrong side of the road.

Either way, glad no-one was hurt.

sambomonkee
19-03-13, 09:19 AM
So, Am i right in saying that you turned right into the road, behind the red car, and the bike hit you there. If so and the traffic was stationary, mr bike shouldn't have been under taking people on the road.

I suspect it will be one of those 50-50 blames Jobies.

DuckFeet
19-03-13, 09:32 AM
Yeah I was turning right into the side road. Mr red car eventaully moved forward into the car sized space he left in front of him, slowly as he possibly could of course. I don't see what I could have done differently as i did check for pedestrians, so it definitely looks like the biker could have avoided it by not undertaking. No real damage done, not worth doing anything other than fixing the scrathc myself for the cost of a touchup pen.

This is why motorcylces go down the middle of the road then!

sambomonkee
19-03-13, 10:01 AM
Yeah I was turning right into the side road. Mr red car eventaully moved forward into the car sized space he left in front of him, slowly as he possibly could of course. I don't see what I could have done differently as i did check for pedestrians, so it definitely looks like the biker could have avoided it by not undertaking. No real damage done, not worth doing anything other than fixing the scrathc myself for the cost of a touchup pen.

This is why motorcylces go down the middle of the road then!

as you said then not your fault then, the bike was undertaking on a single lane which is illegal.

As you stat though as long as everybody is OK.

Enright
19-03-13, 10:11 AM
First things first: congrats, you get 10 points! :clap2:

Seriously though, I'm a bit confused as to the position of the red car - it looks from your sketch as though you'd either gone through it (and I don't think that's the case or we'd be talking about a different accident), or he'd moved in behind you after you passed him. Was there anything that prevented you from entering the junction fully, like a stationary car in front of you?

I don't think it matters much either way - he was risking it by hammering up the inside of traffic and putting himself in a position where he couldn't stop in the distance that he could see.

peterzs
19-03-13, 10:17 AM
Could have been a lot worse, might have been in the ZS!!!!

You got any of those, "Chips away", type guys near you, do a fantastic job and not too pricey.

Glad no one was hurt.

Ritchy
19-03-13, 12:02 PM
If he was in a cycle lane he wasnt untertaking anyone same goes for buses in bus lanes, otherwise there would be no point in having them, you havent looked properly.

MG ZS STE
19-03-13, 12:09 PM
Bad luck sam, i think they may make you culpable for the accident though. In a row of stationary traffic you were the only vehicle moving (and on the wrong side of the road) into the cyclist right of way. I thought cyclists could undertake, thats one of the benefits of having a bicycle isnt it? no more traffic jams.

Enright
19-03-13, 12:19 PM
But from the sketch he hadn't entered the start of the cycle lane yet.
Having said that, I hadn't noticed before that you weren't turning into a sideroad but into a junction.
Tough call - I don't know how it would go down. Might be worth seeking the advice of a friendly copper.

caled
19-03-13, 12:30 PM
In a row of stationary traffic you were the only vehicle moving (and on the wrong side of the road) into the cyclist right of way.

Dependent on whether the cycle lane had give way markings, surely?

Either way, glad you and the cyclist are ok.

DuckFeet
19-03-13, 12:50 PM
lol 10 points! Stuff I was thinking but didn't want to post. Actually I was Prepping my brain to think first aid and a lot of screaming.

Poor diagram sorry, the red car pulled forward to join the others, then I turned into the sideroad. I had to wait for him a few seconds, which is why it was so annoying, I would have been out of harms way if he hadn't been a prat. Also no one stopped or got out their cars! what the hell? It doesnt hurt to shout "you ok mate?" out a window. I dunno.

Might have been the ZS, if it had I would have been parked up a good 5 minutes earlier ;)

He hadn't reached the cycle lane yet. Given the visibility he had wherever he was he was going too fast in my opinion. I was in the road he wanted to occupy but obviously didnt see him (or I would have waited and hit him with the front of the car ;)

I just phoned up to check on him, we're both fine and neither side is persuing anything. I think that means he doesn't see it being my fault, or we're both just easy going, lesson learned and glad no one was hurt. It's interesting to hear views on what should/shouldn't have happened there though.

edit: Is ther a good scratch repair guide here? I've got two about the same thickness as a bicycle brake...

stamford
19-03-13, 01:34 PM
So you were turning right from a major road into a minor side road? The cyclist was on a designated cycle path running parallel to the major road? If so the cyclist is at fault for not stopping at the minor road giveway. All roads have priority over cycle paths afaik, he should have stopped to look before crossing the road. Cycle paths stop at the road the same as any pedestrian path does.

DuckFeet
19-03-13, 01:53 PM
Cycle paths stop at the road the same as any pedestrian path does.

Interesting point as pedestrians have right of way on a pavement, which I was crossing. I should clarify that the "side road" was a private single track into a car park. I've made out that it is a road I believe. Maybe I should annoate a google maps screenshot...

petet16
19-03-13, 01:55 PM
Was the cyclist on the road or pavement.

Captain Peanut
19-03-13, 02:01 PM
Interesting point as pedestrians have right of way on a pavement, which I was crossing. I should clarify that the "side road" was a private single track into a car park. I've made out that it is a road I believe. Maybe I should annoate a google maps screenshot...

Pedestrians only have priority if they are already crossing the road that you are turning into.

I would say that the cyclist is at fault here, he wasn't in the cycle lane yet was undertaking stationary traffic. As no-one is taking matters any further its merely conjecture but interesting to see other peoples take on it.

DuckFeet
19-03-13, 02:27 PM
As no-one is taking matters any further its merely conjecture but interesting to see other peoples take on it.

This. If I can improve my road-sense then all the better. I believe he was on the road, why? I'm pretty sure he said he was on the cycle path, which is on the road further down where he was travelling to.

petet16
19-03-13, 02:40 PM
I just asked if he was on the road or pavement as it may have had a bearing if either party was taking any further action, but as they're not it doesn't matter.

p_b82
19-03-13, 04:08 PM
i think techncially speaking you the car is at fault for crossing the flow of traffic and entering a minor road from a major one - it is technically your responsibility to make sure it is clear for you to do so before you start your manoeuvre.

I say this as an aquaintance was recently knocked off his bike in a similar way - car pulled infront of him and caused a bit more than just a bit of paint scratches (you he was one a racer and on that hill i can get over 30mph on an MTB with off road tyres)

the car insurance paid out in full to replace his bike which was wrecked.....

As no-one is pursuing this any further it is irrelevant - but it is always hit and miss - the cyclist could have been more aware - he would have seen a car slowly pull out in front into the stream of traffic and i would ahve slowed in case some-one could not see me nipping up the inside....

glad no-one was hurt though... or any ZS ;)

daytona365
19-03-13, 06:22 PM
What you should have done is made the cyclist swerve to avoid you, so no damage to your car, and into the path of oncoming HGV so no cyclist either. Then he couldnt go through anymore red lights, ride on pavements in shopping centres, ride through in queues and bang your wing mirrors.....................................

Dan1971
19-03-13, 06:33 PM
Your fault IMHO from my interpretation of what you said happened. :police:

If you hit a car - we all know it would have been your fault. A bike is no different. You were crossing another lane and the bike had right of way.

WalkerDnB
19-03-13, 07:02 PM
What you should have done is made the cyclist swerve to avoid you, so no damage to your car, and into the path of oncoming HGV so no cyclist either. Then he couldnt go through anymore red lights, ride on pavements in shopping centres, ride through in queues and bang your wing mirrors.....................................

+1 to that! :clap:

Ritchy
19-03-13, 09:10 PM
+1 to that! :clap:

Great till its your best friend or a family member thats been killed. Suppose youd be praising the driver of the car still?

M17TT180
19-03-13, 09:16 PM
Deny any responsability!! Never admit fault!

daytona365
19-03-13, 09:31 PM
Great till its your best friend or a family member thats been killed. Suppose youd be praising the driver of the car still?

Was only making an overall statement.........Cyclists are a pain....Didnt mean to cause offense...........

ps wouldnt be my friend if they rode a bike.......:band:

sneekyparrot
20-03-13, 06:18 AM
Don't mind cyclists, but do get annoyed when they feel its there right to be on the road! Had a couple who ride way to far out and almost take up a defence position, getting all arsey by cars who have to wait to get round them ad give them a good blast on the horn.
I have knocked a guy off but he admitted it was his fault, he was riding on pavement! No prob when that happens and I took him to hospital :-)

Mind you twats on twist and go fart boxes are far more dangerous lol

R8NMG
20-03-13, 09:21 AM
It does look like driver at fault here turning into the path of an oncoming cyclist.

Having said that, the cyclist should have been more aware of his/her surroundings.

I have encountered this type of road layout at my old house. But instead of just 1 traffic lane, it's 2 lanes with the inside lane being a bus lane. When a car let you turn into the side road from the main road, most of the time you can't see if any approaching vehicles in the bus lane (off bus lane hours). I always had to slowly nudge forward until the coast is clear.

WalkerDnB
20-03-13, 09:39 AM

I think the post I quoted was ment to be a joke
Thats how I read it.