PDA

View Full Version : New MOT rules

bowthruster
19-03-13, 07:23 PM
My mot runs out in 2 wks,ive been told that if i take it for the mot now,and it fails,then i can only use it to take it to be repaired/and back for test again,and my current mot would become invalid even though its got a couple of wks left.Is this correct????Thx

petet16
19-03-13, 07:25 PM
I've heard this before, I'm not sure if it's correct or not.

talkingcars
19-03-13, 07:36 PM
My mot runs out in 2 wks,ive been told that if i take it for the mot now,and it fails,then i can only use it to take it to be repaired/and back for test again,and my current mot would become invalid even though its got a couple of wks left.Is this correct????Thx

Technical that has always been the case, even if you tested it yesterday with a pass and again today with a fail.

mrmick
19-03-13, 07:38 PM
Thats the point of taking it a month before it runs out to allow you to get it repaired before the official expired date

petet16
19-03-13, 07:38 PM
https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot/after-the-test

This seems to suggest that if it fails you can only drive it for a retest, I think the latest mot takes precedence, so even if it still has a valid mot that is cancelled by the new mot.

bowthruster
19-03-13, 07:40 PM
So if i got it tested tomorrow and it failed,i dont get paid until next thurs,i cant drive it about then.I want it done early to find out what this bloody noise is,and can book it in to be fixed etc,The MOT place is an independant-no repairs.

petet16
19-03-13, 07:42 PM
Maybe ask them to do a pre mot and check for the noise.

Enright
19-03-13, 07:45 PM
Technically it's not a new rule.
The MoT test is only a snapshot in time, and it can only do so much to safeguard against wear and tear over the coming year.
For example, your exhaust could fall off shortly after your MoT, but if it wasn't blowing at the time you took it in then your MoT would still be valid. Would that stop the police from doing you for driving an unroadworthy vehicle? Absolutely not.
It's your risk, but I'm afraid that if you are caught driving a vehicle that you have been notified is unroadworthy, then they are within their rights to chuck the book at you.
The trade-off is that you can take it in up to a month early, and if it passes then you'll get an automatic extension to a year after the original expiry date. In other words your MoT will not be due for up to 13 months after you took it in.

petet16
19-03-13, 07:47 PM
I think there is a validity period of 3 months for rust, and 1 month for mechanical items.

bowthruster
19-03-13, 07:52 PM
For F**ks sake! I'll take it up there tomorrow and see what they say about having a quick look for me.Cheers all

shycho
19-03-13, 08:11 PM
I spoke to a halfords garage just last week and they said as long as the original MOT hasn't expired you can still drive around.

So if you took it in a month before the MOT was due to expiry and it failed, you could still drive it around for the remainder of the month, according to them.

Ritchy
19-03-13, 09:06 PM
You would still have a valid mot but if a cars failed a mot it shouldnt be on the road

Dan1971
19-03-13, 09:15 PM
If you fail that's it. You've failed. You can only take it to and from. Police have access to the mot database now and if stopped you'd get fined if they wanted to.

M17TT180
19-03-13, 09:19 PM
I spoke to a halfords garage just last week and they said as long as the original MOT hasn't expired you can still drive around.

So if you took it in a month before the MOT was due to expiry and it failed, you could still drive it around for the remainder of the month, according to them.

There is your problem right there!

stamford
20-03-13, 07:01 AM
It seems it is now correct, it was a rumour for quite some time but now appears that if you book it in early and it fails you lose the remainder of the MOT. I have always booked it in within the last week, never saw the point of doing it weeks early, if it fails, it fails. Besides the MOT test is not 100% foolproof as no two garages highlight the same failures. I have proof of items that should have been picked up that were not.

bowthruster
20-03-13, 02:36 PM
Hi i rang my Mot station up and it is right the old MOT is cancelled out as soon as you have a new test.But ive booked it in for tomorrow and there going to get it on the ramps and look for this bloody noise for me,all for nothing!And have booked it in for the MOT next thursday.Cheers

Noobrider
20-03-13, 07:47 PM
Plus as of today there are new things added to the MOT...ALL dashboard lights still lit with the engine running (except MIL) are a failure. Plus there are a few other additions...can't remember them all but one is if the High beam light doesn't illuminate thats a failure too.

Ritchy
20-03-13, 07:53 PM
If you fail that's it. You've failed. You can only take it to and from. Police have access to the mot database now and if stopped you'd get fined if they wanted to.

Dan, does the MOT flag up on the ANPR? the reason i ask is Tanya hadnt checked the mot on her old car and it ran over 2 weeks and she never had a pull for it despite 40 miles a day with police behind her ect

bowthruster
20-03-13, 08:20 PM
As far as i know,it would of flagged up as soon as it expired.The mot tester was saying all these new bits being added to the test,the info they get is,its to bring us inline with europe:axe:Every year more stupid things added....