PDA

View Full Version : Have the need to do something.

Craig-ZS180
23-03-13, 10:01 PM
I am at that stage over the past few weeks where I have almost got the bits sorted on the zs and am happy with how all is going.
There are things that I would love to do but cost far too much to warrant doing them at present ie bodywork bits and full paint correction and so on so atm will have to leave them for a later date. I do however have the old modifying twitchy finger syndrome atm and really want to do something to the car but am lost as which route to go down.
Interior- seats & door cards?
Mgf steering wheel & Xpower gearknob?
Headlight change again?
Laguna / cupra splitter?

All thoughts that keep going through my head but I can't do all with current money going toward our big day next March.
What to do though, and what is a reasonable amount to spend on a splitter or steering wheel as they tend to differ in price quite a bit and don't want to get my bottom slapped for the pleasure.

Spose this is a bit of a pointless thread really but just wondering what cheap mods people had done that they enjoy the most?

idge2003
23-03-13, 10:17 PM
I would say interior changes and I could do you a really good deal on the seats and doorcards I have that we've spoken about before! :happy:

I really need to shift some stuff and that would be reflected in the price too!

Brett

Craig-ZS180
23-03-13, 10:59 PM
You have a pm Brett :)

talkingcars
24-03-13, 04:53 AM
Cheap mods that you notice -

MGF mirror
Rover 800 interior light
gear knob
tinted rear lights

WalkerDnB
24-03-13, 05:53 AM
I would give your calipers a paint and remove the rear wiper
I think it makes all the difference and should cost you the price of a can of hammerite and a rubber bung.

talkingcars
24-03-13, 06:24 AM
Honda accord interior light.

WalkerDnB
24-03-13, 06:37 AM

whats the difference?

maxtherotti
24-03-13, 06:54 AM
The honda one has map lights in it
or just fit a mgf rear view mirror as it has map lights underneath it
works well on mine lights up my xpower knob well :detective:

Rob

Craig-ZS180
24-03-13, 07:55 AM
Cheap mods that you notice -

MGF mirror
Rover 800 interior light
gear knob
tinted rear lights

Thanks James, mgf mirror is something I've thought if in the past too but I've never looked into it fully or looked into the wiring side of things, is it quite an easy mod to to? I want a black Xpower gear knob but haven't seen one up for sale recently that doesn't seem rather over priced to me. Not sure what they are worth but £40 - £50 2nd hand is something I'm not going to pay. Like the oe one so would stick with that. Also got 45 rear lights with tinted indicators, had thought of wrapping my oe rears with laminx to give a all over darker look but not got around to it yet.

I would give your calipers a paint and remove the rear wiper
I think it makes all the difference and should cost you the price of a can of hammerite and a rubber bung.

Want to do calipers but always get stuck with the colour I'd go with. Also love the idea of removing the rear wiper but my other half drives it more than me and wasn't so keen on the idea. Said what if I can't see when reversing. Didnt want to get into the whole being daft conversation.

Didnt know they were different to be honest, is it a straight swap over then?

The honda one has map lights in it
or just fit a mgf rear view mirror as it has map lights underneath it
works well on mine lights up my xpower knob well :detective:

Rob

Do the mgf mirror lights work as courtesy lights too when you unlock & open the car too?

Cheers for the suggestions guys :D

WalkerDnB
24-03-13, 08:18 AM
Want to do calipers but always get stuck with the colour I'd go with.

I went with silver which is nice behind gunmetal alloys
if your going to keep your alloys silver Id be tempted to go gold :D

stamford
24-03-13, 09:09 AM
The main thing is you get to keep the car and not forfeit it due to the big day! Enjoy the car for what it is and look forward to the mods ahead. I have had mine 8 years and it still has more things on the list!

Laguna splitter's go for around £10 up, so that should be a cheap enough mod. I have never bothered changing the headlights ZS have amber, 45s have clear, why make it a 45? Never felt the need to change the steering wheel either, quite happy with the ZS one tbh. However that is what makes us individual and happy, so there are plenty of 'cheap' mods to do.

talkingcars
24-03-13, 09:35 AM
The MGF mirror is quite easy to wire in and either comes on with the main interior light or switched on at other times.

The accord light has the standard main light and 2 extra map lights which either work with the main light or independantly. They are a simple swap but one has to be careful to make sure the O/S bolt hole is clead of paint or the O/S light doesn't work well.

Harder is the Rover 800 centre light as this requires cutting the roof lining but gives you light in the back.

All 3 mods can be as cheap as you are honest at your local breakers and combined give a sensible level of light in the car in the dark.

Dan1971
24-03-13, 11:51 AM
I think the rover 45 headlights and steering wheel are great mods. I have found the 45 wheel better and far easier than the mgf/tf as there's no cutting/grinding involved... I would though, as is the Laguna splitter.

But we don't all want our cars the same do we.....:whistle:

talkingcars
24-03-13, 12:16 PM
My 45 steering wheel cost £10 but the audio controls added another £25 to get them working.

The 45 headlights were less than £40, however the advantage of having new headlights and therefore undamaged lenses was worth far more.

Moving the battery to the boot only cost about £30 in parts IIRC and was a very satisfying change.

Craig-ZS180
24-03-13, 01:17 PM
All good suggestions and info guys, thank you. Not so sure on Gold for the calipers myself but I think would have to do something different to the usual red setup.
Thanks James for the light info, didnt realise they were so similar but something to maybe look a bit more into.
I don't technically have a problem with the zs steering wheel but I don't really get why as standard te 45 one is more chunky and looks sportier too. I love smaller wheels thought which is why could be interested in an mgf/tf one. All depends what comes up for the right price. All the 45 ones I've found recently are either the soft feel style (not keen), plastic or just way overpriced imo.
Also the same with the lights, why do amber on the zs and clear on other models although I'm not so fussed about that as would tint the indicators again anyway just with a different product and possibly darker. Still again will have to see as nothing wrong with my tinted zs one at present.

I like the look of the Laguna splitter but still in two minds as to do it or not, need that final persuasion to make my choice but again don't really want to pay £40 upwards for the privilege of a used but of plastic as all can find on the bay is in that region. Maybe I'm being tight but I don't want it that much anyway.

Thanks for the ideas chaps :D

talkingcars
24-03-13, 01:52 PM
The Rover 400 had amber front indicators so when they introduced the 45 they used clear ones to make it look different. A year later when they introduced the ZS to make it look different they fitted amber indicators!

Craig-ZS180
24-03-13, 02:11 PM
Fair enough then, makes sense when you think about it like that. Just goes against the norm really doesn't it lol.

chris01
24-03-13, 02:38 PM
i payed £31 in an ebay auction for my laguna splitter, cheapest i could find but then again they are becoming a rare item, the leon splitters can be picked up for cheap though, if u like the look of them?? a cheap mod iv just done is wrap my dash etc in blue carbon, easy to do and for the cost of £10ish i think it looks good :)

Craig-ZS180
24-03-13, 04:25 PM
Yeah I suppose they are getting rarer but I still think that sort of money is a bit much for something that is usually scrubbed and scuffed all over. It is each to their own though as to what they want to spend on those bits, never know may find one at one of my local breakers that's cheaper than that.
I am quite keen on the oe dash to be fair although I'm open to ideas. How did it come out and what does it look like now then?

petet16
24-03-13, 04:40 PM
Carbon wrap

http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h385/focus35/2013-03-22110927_zpsc5876605.jpg

http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h385/focus35/2013-03-22122607_zps54f0f21e.jpg

http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h385/focus35/2013-03-22165550_zps68fe3632.jpg

chris01
24-03-13, 05:09 PM
beat me to it lol cheers

Craig-ZS180
24-03-13, 05:18 PM
Carbon wrap

http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h385/focus35/2013-03-22110927_zpsc5876605.jpg

http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h385/focus35/2013-03-22122607_zps54f0f21e.jpg

http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h385/focus35/2013-03-22165550_zps68fe3632.jpg

Wasn't sure I'd like it all done in that way but that does look really good. Really like the way you've made it go opposite directions on the centre console makes it look quite unique